Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should ex-cons be treated as equals

shk75

I'm with you on a lot of this stuff, but not the educational tools. Prisons are not meant to be soley punishment, but also as a means of rehabilation. I'm all for chain gangs and no cable TV - but allow them all the positive reading material they want.

Unfortunately, all too often that "positive reading material" ends up being legal texts on how to get out of or keep from being caught the next time around. "Jail House Lawyers" still exist, rince.

I hear what you're saying. If I had a choice, the one thing I'd take from every prison is weights. Criminals getting stronger is all we need.

I definitely agree with the weights issue, but I think that we need to take a lot more than that away from them.

Depends on if you believe in rehabilitation.

Nope. Never have. Never will.

Yeah, in theory. In reality, it's much tougher. I think I would try, but suspiscion might haunt me esp. for certain crimes

OK then since this is such a tough topic how about I narrow it down a little. If you were the head of a company or small business and it were up to you to hire people...would you hire someone who is a little more qualified but an ex-con or someone a little less qualified.

I hear what you're saying. If I had a choice, the one thing I'd take from every prison is weights. Criminals getting stronger is all we need.

I once repaired a laser printer in the local office of the US Marshals. Their weight room had a motivational poster, showing somebody in a Department of Corrections jumpsuit on a weight machine.

Caption: Remember. Every day you don't work out, someone else does.

Also remember in a mystery novel, where the star detective meets the suspect's driver. He observes tha the driver is in excellent physical condition, and concludes that the man is obviously a major criminal, because in America, the only people who have access to exercise equipment and the time to use it are the idle rich and the career criminal.

Guest sith lord
OK then since this is such a tough topic how about I narrow it down a little. If you were the head of a company or small business and it were up to you to hire people...would you hire someone who is a little more qualified but an ex-con or someone a little less qualified.

I don't think I'd have problems hiring an ex-con as long as he didn't commit any of the big three (Murder, molest, rape).

Oh, that's a lot easier. I would hire the ex-con. I might have a tendency to watch and supervise a little more closely at the beginning, but I definately would give him or her the shot.

One of the first questions on the 10-20 question pre-application survey would be.... "Have you ever been arrested on a felony charge?" Answering YES would be an automatic disqualifying factor for employment.

The 14th amendment gives states the right to disenfranchise convicted felons and I think 46/50 states do just that. They aren't equals to begin with, why should businesses pretend they are?

Well I am talking about equal in every sense of the word. Not being able to get a good job is one aspect. Not being able to vote is another. Is this right as well...should they not be aloud to vote? What other rights are they denied, I am curious?

Archived