Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Candidate X is cutting the Federal Government in half - will you vote for him?

TrumanB

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The thread about what federal programs people would cut got me thinking (which I know some of you believe is a dangerous thing).

There are a lot of posters (or posers) on this board who claim to be "fiscal conservatives". Even some of the Obama supporters (yeah, right :silly:). I believe there are a lot of Ron Paul supporters who would probably vomit if he actually implemented any of his economic ideas (I believe many of them are just anti-war).

Anyway, what if Candidate X existed and he proposed slashing EVERY federal government department and program in half. No exceptions. That means Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and yes, even military spending. IN HALF. Nothing would be exempt. Let's also assume that Candidate X would have a realistic chance of getting this done - a mandate from the American people to carry this out. And let's say this would just be a "starting point". Massive tax cuts would follow and possibly further cuts to federal spending.

Let's assume that Candidate X is a "neutral" character. A Sam Nunn type that would be agreeable to most everyone in terms of character and personality. Would you vote for Candidate X as opposed to Obama or McCain?

Let me say that I would vote for Candidate X, even with the cuts to military spending. Our federal government is out of control. The budget for fiscal year 2009 (which just started this month) is over 3 TRILLION dollars. WTF? That's nearly DOUBLE the size of the federal budget from just 10 years ago. This is insanity people. We don't need a scalpel or a sledgehammer. We need a ****ing chainsaw.

Vote now.

I love the thought of cutting the federal government in half (if it's the right things, of course), but I cant vote for you because I really dont like you at all :D

You really dont have a clue about what Ron Paul supporters and others who desire simple, strict constitional government if you believe we are "anti-war"

I love the thought of cutting the federal government in half (if it's the right things, of course), but I cant vote for you because I really dont like you at all :D

You really dont have a clue about what Ron Paul supporters and others who desire simple, strict constitional government if you believe we are "anti-war"

First, you're not voting for me, you're voting for Candidate X.

Second, I said some of the Paul supporters are strictly anti-war.

Where do I cast my ballot?

People, cutting the federal gov't in half would take us back to 1999 spending levels, not something crazy like 1977 spending levels

Exactly. So I wonder why there are people already posting thinking this is a crazy idea?

Hard to see how you could cut entitlement spending, much less get any other major cuts...nice thought though.

Cutting the funds they get their paws on seems more workable,if unrealistic:(

No easy answers

I am kind of conflicted, because certain things needs to be prioritized in terms of spending cuts. I would deal with the "hidden" welfare state ( as well as the warfare state) before the actual welfare state. However, the likelihood of a candidate pushing cuts on this scale is so incredibly rare that I wouldn't turn down the chance vote for candidate x.

I am kind of conflicted, because certain things needs to be prioritized in terms of spending cuts. I would deal with the "hidden" welfare state ( as well as the warfare state) before the actual welfare state. However, the likelihood of a candidate pushing cuts on this scale is so incredibly rare that I wouldn't turn down the chance vote for candidate x.

That's why Candidate X is proposing evenly cutting EVERY federal department and program. Everyone shares in the pain. That's why this is a starting point. The scalpel can be used after we're finished with the chainsaw.

Archived