Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deleting Trojans

argentina_redskins

Hey guys, I need some help deleting trojans.

Windows tells me that I have one named:

Trojan-spy.HTML.Bankfraud.dq

but when I click "Enable Protection" it takes me to an online link to buy 2 anti-trojan programs. I was wondering if you knew of any software to delete trojans for free, or if you knew any other ways to manually delete them.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Avast! Anti-Virus Home Edition is free

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

I use it.

Others use:

AVG Free

http://free.avg.com/

Ad-Aware

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlPid=10844457

However, what you're experiencing is the trojan digging into Windows and those "buy" programs and "Enable Protection" are just a way for you to get more infected.

By the way, hope you didn't click on any link from an email that asked you to log into your bank account.

If you did, go to a clean computer, log in and verify your account and reset your password ASAP.

Edit: Malwarebytes is a newcomer to the anti-malware assortment of options people have. I haven't used it yet, but I'm sure I will sometime soon considering I see people suggesting it more and more.

but when I click "Enable Protection" it takes me to an online link to buy 2 anti-trojan programs. I was wondering if you knew of any software to delete trojans for free, or if you knew any other ways to manually delete them.

If "Windows" tells you you have a trojan, then the odds are overwhelming that it's a fake message. They're attempting to trick you into installing spyware, by claiming that you've got it.

windows one live care. download it. run the scan and it will clean out anything bad(most of the time it does). uninstall after you're done with it. install avg and spybot. pay attention to what you click on going forward, as this stuff doesnt just appear out of thin air.

Strongly recommend both.

"Hijack This!" is also a very powerful tool, but it's also dangerous, and requires you to make all the decisions.

A good backup might be a good idea, too. I've cleaned people's computers for a living. And when I did it, if the above 2, and Hijack, didn't clean it, then it was time for me to recommend a format and reinstall.

QFT, I use both of those and AVG and never have a problem. Sometimes where 2 of them miss something the third would find a problem. Great stuff and they're free.:D

Strongly recommend both.

"Hijack This!" is also a very powerful tool, but it's also dangerous, and requires you to make all the decisions.

A good backup might be a good idea, too. I've cleaned people's computers for a living. And when I did it, if the above 2, and Hijack, didn't clean it, then it was time for me to recommend a format and reinstall.

How can I back my stuff up? I got a 160 GB external drive, so everything would fit there.

Also, if I were to format the computer, it'd all be gone, right?

Archived