Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle pondering what might have been...

doubledeuce

sorry but i can't feel bad for them. they chose to keep mora and let us have zorn.i'm still shaken my head that ol'danny boy snagged one over the heads of the great(a real laugher) nfl pundits heads.they thought zorn was over his head, hey trueth be known a lot of us thought he was too after the first game.amazing what a four game win streak can getcha. i look forward to the point when we start really scoring td's instead of fg's or leaving points on the field. against dallas and philly we left points on the turf.i am proud of these guys, and i think that zorns playing to win and not to lose is a big difference in this team.they're closing out games and taking games from teams instead of trying to hold onto them.a whole attitude change.

You cannot blame their fan base for feeling bummed about letting Jim Zorn get away....especially when he played his pro days up there in Seattle. This would be like having Joe Theisman as an asst. coach here in Washington, and he gets hired away to Seattle and he makes them a winner while the Skins are having a bad season.

Finally out of the message boards and actually written by a Seattle writer. I think after reading that, Seattle's biger mistake was the Willingham extenstion but I digress.....Just think about how critical people were about our hire at first? It's amazing what winning can do.....

Well said buddy.....WINNING CHANGES AND CURES EVERYTHING!

I doubt that Zorn would have been in line to replace Holgrem because he didn't have any experience as a COORDINATOR. Everyone was laughing at the stupidity of Synder selecting a person as head coach who lack the basic credential of having previously been a coordinator.

Holgrem certainly didn't think Zorn was coordinator material, much less HC qualified. In fact in 7 years under Holgrem, they never even managed to work the word into his title even as window dressing.

It would be an even greater leap of faith if you think the seahawks would have offered the HC job to Zorn as replacing the "great" Holgrem even if Mora had left and Zorn was still on the staff as the QB coach.

I remember reading some place Zorn liked to draw up offensive plays, but Holgren rarely had time for them. Hollgren and the FO appears to have tollerated him, not appreciated him. Zorn getting the hawks hc job without succeeding else where first? NOT A CHANCE.

In the other thread on this subject matter the Hawk decline, IMHO, is more do to FO failures than succeeding coaches. They let too many players go, Springs/Hutchinson/Hamlin/etc and didn't bring in anyone to replace them. They overpaid for some ok Dline players and really have not drafted that well. Add in injuries and I doubt Zorn could do that much better than their current coach.

A coach that Zorn continuously refers too.

That said, you guys are right, time for some redemption.

I dunno. I don't think them letting Springs go hurt them too bad. He was hurt a LOT out there, especially his last three seasons, and they replaced him with Marcus Trufant, who is a hell of a corner himself (as we learned first-hand in last year's Wild Card game).

Right now they have three key starters on IR (their two starting guards, and Nate Burleson, who had 50 catches and 9 TDs just last season), with guys like Deion Branch, Walter Jones, and Matt Hasselbeck all banged up, with Hasselbeck probably not even playing this week. And they're down to their 3rd string QB since Seneca Wallace got hurt as well.

Letting Hutchinson walk was definitely really stupid, especially in favor of resigning Shaun Alexander, who everyone but apparently Seattle knew was soft and not worth the pay day they gave him. But overall it's not like the team is in dire shambles personnel wise. On defense, Rocky Bernard is a very solid DT, especially as a pass rusher, Patrick Kerney is also pretty decent and had 15 sacks last year, and Julian Peterson and Lofa Tatupu are excellent linebackers. For whatever reason though, I guess coaching, that defense just isn't playing nearly up to the level it was the past couple seasons.

On offense though injuries have just doomed them for the time being. They have WRs come off the street to fill in that get carted off the field just a week later.

I don't think Zorn could have fixed that team this year anyway though, despite their now "obvious" hindsight on the coaching issue. We were set up perfectly for Zorn; good mix of veterans and young talent, very strong locker room, and a team ready to get loose and embrace a more comfortable atmosphere to just let the team play to their strengths. Zorn steps up into Seattle and he faces the same team he's been at for years that's coming off major injuries left and right and he has to try to live up to what Holmgren has simply left behind.

Archived