Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biggest victims of the stock market crash-Charities

Burgold

It is now officially a crash. We have eclipsed that 20% drop. What occurred to me today is the biggest victims are going to be non-profits. With all the losses in the stock markets, write offs and , all the belt tightening the charities are going to see a dramatic drop in support. Whether you're talking about support for our wounded military, special olympics, or the homeless... there's going to be a lot less out there to be given away because people won't need the tax break and people will have a lot less and fear will make them stuff their money under their mattresses. This will be a period where churches and charities are going to really suffer.

I've been wondering for a while now, but I wonder what the percentage of restaurant checks are paid on credit card versus debit/cash?

I work high end and it's almost completely credit card. I just moved to a slightly lower end from where I was and a smaller place too so I could get back to working for the sweet, sweet cash.

Restaurants across the board are down about 40%.

I think some of these charitable institutions need to start taking a hard look at their internal finances and the salaries of their top administrators. Those guys at the top are making a bundle. I still won't give to United Way after that Aramony scandal.

I think some of these charitable institutions need to start taking a hard look at their internal finances and the salaries of their top administrators. Those guys at the top are making a bundle. I still won't give to United Way after that Aramony scandal.

I think they are and will, but it's going to get rough out there and as Gbear says it will happen when there will be a lot more people who could use a helping hand.

Agreed. Rougly 90% of your "donation" goes to "overheard" in the case of many charaties.

I work in the Philanthrophy/Advancement office at my university and we've already started seeing a decline in contributions. I just opened a letter this morning with a check and a note attached that read "Due to the economic situation, I will be unable to make my end of the year contribution and this will be my last check." My boss just looked at me and sighed.

It really stinks right now because the university is right in the middle of construction of a new medical school complex, so I have a feeling things are going to get really tense around the office. Good thing I'm don't work full-time here...

It really stinks right now because the university is right in the middle of construction of a new medical school complex, so I have a feeling things are going to get really tense around the office. Good thing I'm don't work full-time here...

Aren't they making enough by gouging students on their tution bills?

Archived