Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So the Dixie Chicks are suffering huh?

The Evil Genius

I guess middle america is teaching them a lesson - a $49 million dollar one :doh:

Chicks Tix Going Quick Despite Bush Controversy

Mon Apr 21, 6:57 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Ray Waddell

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Billboard) - Despite some backlash at radio and retail for negative comments about President Bush (news - web sites), the Dixie Chicks (news - web sites) are flying high in preparation for their upcoming arena tour, according to Rob Light, the act's agent.

"To be brutally honest, there has been no effect, other than the odd phone call to a building inquiring about a refund. There's a lot more noise than action," says Light, head of the music division at Creative Artists Agency.

"Actually, the buildings are getting more asking, if there are refunds, can they buy the tickets." Light says there are no refunds.

He says that of 59 shows, only six have seats left, and those are all 85%-90% sold out and expected to go clean.

The tour, sponsored by Lipton, kicks off May 1 at the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville, S.C., and concludes Aug. 4 at the Gaylord Entertainment Center in Nashville. Joan Osborne supports on the first leg; Michelle Branch on the second. The tour is working with several promoters, cutting separate deals in each market.

The Chicks' March 1 national on-sale moved 867,000 tickets worth $49 million at the box office during one weekend.

The Dixie Chicks' album "Home" has tumbled down the pop charts in the weeks following singer Natalie Maines' declaration in London that she was ashamed to come from the same state (Texas) as Bush.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

She made the comment well after the March 1 date.

If by well after, you mean a week - then yes (just looked up the date).

Still, doesnt seem like a lot of people are giving them up - and more people are asking about buying tickets than getting them refunded.

Makes you wonder huh?

Hopefully the tickets were sold before the comment and the stadiums will be full of people booing them from start to finish. Plus remember, their fan base isn't exactly made up of rocket scientists. Even if they didn't like the comments when she said them, their concert is still an excuse to get out of the doublewide and take the pickup out for a spin.

I have a friend who lives in Greenville. His take is exactly that. Many anti-Dixie Chicks organizers are planning huge disruptions for the concert. I dont agree with that strategy. There are those who do want to see them despite their misguided opinions. They deserve that chance.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

I have a friend who lives in Greenville. His take is exactly that. Many anti-Dixie Chicks organizers are planning huge disruptions for the concert. I dont agree with that strategy. There are those who do want to see them despite their misguided opinions. They deserve that chance.

Wouldn't they also be bringing more attention to Maines' comments?

Perhaps the best solution would be to ignore them and let the media attention die.

Originally posted by fansince62

TEG....you can always hope that people who hate America (while of course benefitting from it)....do well!!!!

I am not sure what you are saying...are you saying Maines hates America? Based on her comments about being ashamed of being from the same state as Bush? Seems like a big leap there.

I for one thought that her comments were stupid.

Still, dont you think the best way to deal with things like this is to ignore them?

OK most of tix were sold but, before she opened her mouth and bit the country that feeds her. These people that bought the tix should go to the parking lot night of the show and not go in just stage a USA tailgate party in the lot and force the dixie b!tches to perform to an empty house...

Don't know if I was directing this at you, rereading your post you weren't really guilty of claiming hatred of America, but there has been a sentiment on this board during the last month or so that disagreement with policy means anti-americanism. I've heard it from many. Some have recommended boycott, others exile, and a couple execution. It really disturbs me as I view the ability to disagree one of Americas greatest strengths. There seems to be an inflexibility in ideology that is being expressed that worries me when I think about how we will adapt to new situations or ability to learn from mistakes. Mind you, the Dixie Chick's comments were not constructive and were pretty stupid, so she's not really a good example, but I was just feeling a certain level of fatigue of the bashing and slashing of those who merely espouse a different point of view.

While I wouldnt support the execution or even the exile (although I would like to see celebs keep their promises to leave) I DO support boycotts. That's my right to protest their idiocy.

This war has seen a huge change in America. No longer can the far left lie about and bash the President and the right without facing a backlash.

TEG....I can't speak for everyone else....I'm just having fun with this.....for oh so long....if one advocated a position that was out of step with the politically correct thought police on the left....he/she was publicly shunned and demonized........there's a short window here to return serve....it'll likely abate soon enough since there is work to be done....but while the opportunity presents itself....I'm going to take maximum advantage of it!!!!!

"Hating America" is just anther empty statement like "hates the environment"...."doesn't care about the poor"....."only intrested in the rich"...."warmonger"....."baby killers".......you know.....the *hit the left & liberals have been dishing out for the last 30 years!!!!

NO...I don't....but I'm going to have fun with it......paybacks are a *itch!!!

and I don't consider not paying to see a Saradon movie or not attending a Dixie Chicks concert.........PCness........and I see nothing wrong in questioning their motives/goals...isn't that also exercise of free speech....?

let's skip the nonsense and get to what is at issue here: that someone might be deprived of their living because they exercised their free speech rights against the foreign policy of their elected government or because they said some stupid things about the President. I don't recall anyone voicing any concerns for the folks who lose jobs when Jesse jackson advocates business boycotts...or environmentalists advocate business boycotts....or feminists advocate business boycotts.........

the Left is receiving a rather tepid dose of its own medicine.....

It cracks me up how some people (Skins56) seem to think that being country, living in a doublewide, and driving a pickup truck automatically disqualifies you from becoming a rocket scientist.

It could also be said about blue haired, face pierced city dwellers living with their Mamas not driving anything.

It doesn't matter what kind of music (or rap) you listen to. In every audience there are some people that are dumber than $hit.

I'm sure if someone like Skins56 got lost in the country he'd be a respectful little boy hoping we wouldn't send him home with that Ned Beatty look all over his face. :cool:

It's not whether patriotism is PC, though I hope being patriotic is always viewed as correct. What's bothersome (to me at least) is that when a political view is disagreed with there seems to be a tendency by some to cast the speaker as anti-patriotic or anti-american. People should express their opinions both pro and con. I have no problem with people voicing disagreements or for there to be an outcome that results from people sharing their opinions. For example, when Kilmer said that that Dixie Chick was an idiot for saying what she said I think that's probably a truer statement than saying she is anti-American or hates America. I was raised by a Holocause survivor and I guess one of my biggest worries is how easy it is for a majority to stay silent or to become too afraid to speak out. That's why I applaud free speech even when I disagree what is being said. Maybe that's why something as innocuous as what this country singer says doesn't justify the anti-american rap. Boycotts sure. Signs during or outside their concerts, why not. All voices should be heard. No voice should be silent. After all, usually it's the ones who operate in silence who present the greatest menace.

In advance, I am not comparing Bush to Nazi Germany nor am I comparing anyone on this board to the procensorship, big brother mentality of totalitarianism.

I guess one of my biggest worries is how easy it is for a majority to stay silent or to become too afraid to speak out

That is EXACTLY what has been happening for years. The majority doesnt agree with the opinions and rantings and lies spewed by Maines, Moore, Sarandon et al; but for years they have remained silent. Not any more.

Burgold...you have a problem...while the universal "speak out against foreign policy and you are anti-American" is clearly not true....anyone who has invested any time in listening to ANSWER and other groups for the last 30 years knows that a very large percentage of these people are anti-American. They hate the economic system and how it distributes the rewards; they hate the poltical system and how it favors various interest groups; they hate the culture; they distrust the leadership (and power) generally............they want radical change.....

we can play word games....but in my book....and having witnessed/read these diatribes for a very long time.......holdng these positions is tantamount to hating the system you live under........hating America....and, hence, anti-American. yea....somewhere there is a progressive point-of-view that isn't anti-American (just elitist!).......but these other folks (and there are a lot of them) both intellectually and emotionally hate America........they are anti-American.......

fan, I couldn't disagree more. What you have just posted which seems to allow no room for discent, change, evolution, new ideas... the very severeness of it, the depth of it is frightening. The large majority of people who disagree with a government position hates America? Perhaps, you are more politically aware of these groups and your cynicism is justified. I'd rather not believe in such a world.

Archived