Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Washington Redskins: Best Team in Football?

Thinking Skins

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/66007-washington-redskins-best-team-in-football

BR: Washington Redskins: Best Team in Football?

Rather than simply dissecting Week Five's NFC East match-up between the Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles, I have chosen to respond to sentiment that seems to be prevalent around the NFL.

That sentiment being that somehow, someway, the Redskins have not won four in a row based on their quality play, but rather on some form of luck, or "happenstance".

I'll start with the simplest point: they are 4-1, going 2-1 in road games involving three of the four teams that make up what many believe is the best division in football.

The one loss was on opening night, where the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants had the emotion of a ring ceremony, and fiery speech from the retired Michael Strahan on their side to start the game. It was a buzz saw they ran into, and couldn't quite recover from.

I would argue that NO team could have done better in the early stages of that game. Their ability to recover was hindered by the fact that it was the first game for a rookie head coach, the first game for a new offense as a whole, and the first game for a young quarterback in his third new offense in his four years in the NFL.

Things are different now after Week Five. And I contend that if that game were played in Week Six, the results would be different too.

click the link for the rest of the article.

The Redskins' defense has only six sacks on the season. That ranks 26th in the NFL. But consider the quarterbacks they have faced.

Brees - tied for third in the NFL with four sacks all season, one sack for every 37 attempts

Romo sits to pee - tied for third in the NFL with four sacks all season, one sack for every 40.5 attempts

Eli M - tied for fifth in the NFL with five sacks all season, one sack for every 26.4 attempts

McNabb - tied for 20th in the NFL with 10 sacks all season, one sack for every 17.5 attempts

Warner - 28th in the NFL with 12 sacks all season, one sack for every 15.25 attempts

Three of these five QBs are among the very best at getting rid of the ball, and the other two are pretty good as well when one considers the sacks per attempt. As a point of comparison, the worst quarterbacks in sacks per attempt are Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Cassel, with 6.8 and 6.93 sacks per attempt respectively.

The best? Kerry Collins and Jay Cutler with one sack in 115 attempts and two sacks in 191 attempts.

Is it a surprise the Redskins weren't able to sack these quarterbacks? No.

The Washington Redskins don't have the best collection of talent. They don't have the most pro-bowlers, the most star players, or the best player in the NFL at any position.

But the championships are not won by talent collectors, or by any one player, no matter how good he happens to be.

Championships are won by good TEAMS. And as of now, the Redskins are just that, a good TEAM.

TEAM. That is what is winning football games right now, and that's what wins championships.

:helmet:

Really sweet article. I couldn't agree more about the "team" description being the true reason why the Skins are lighting it up.

It's been proven several times over the years that the team with the best talent isn't a sure thing to win the SB; however, it has been proven time and again that the best team wins. Case in point: last year's Giants, who happened to turn their season around at our team's expense.

In fact, I can see similarities between this year's Skins and last season's Giants, with the exception being the dominant pass rush of the Giants.

So far so good with our team play this season. Let's hope we can repay the Giants at home and ride it all the way to a victory in Tampa!

Despite their emotion pregame ceremonies, the motivational speech from their former defensive leader, and a huge home crowd, and an opponent with little execution on their offense, the Giants managed to beat us by a grand total of 9 points.

They don't stand a chance the next time we play.

Archived