Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock - tonight on CBS (Gina Carano fights)

d0ublestr0ker0ll

I would never pay to see Kimbo Slice fight a serious professional fighter. He brings NOTHING to the table other than his YouTube fame.

He'd hold 1000x more interest for me if they just embraced his sideshow-ness and had him fight things like an angry camel, or 30 midgets, or a swarm of bees. Stuff like that.

he didnt catch him on the button...he caught him with a one legged against the cage punch that frankly may not even knock me out. like i said, i have seen kimbo take full on shots to the dome and not go out.

i agree that they want to see him KO people but outside of Tank he hasnt lived up to that rep. that tomato can he fought actually put it on him for a bit there and after watching this fight i think shamrock has a puncher's chance now too..

i could be wrong, i very well could be. but even after all of that being said i think that show is cheeseball. all of the talking, the lights, the way they bring the fighters in it all reminds me of the WWE.

Not every punch is going to look like Chuck Liddell eating Rashad's right hand. Seth Petrusdflksdjfsdljhalshkajsdfhsdhf hit Kimbo right on the side of the beard (I assume across the jaw line), his head snapped back and he fell down stunned....if that was a dive then Kimbo is the best actor I've ever seen in my life.

Carano is gonna **** Cyborg up. That Cyborg chick is one UGLY woman let me tell ya. And is this a for sure thing? They're definitley gonna fight each other?

It's not official but they will almost definintely fight each other next. Gina Carano has better technical muay thai, but Cyborg reminds me of a female Wanderlei Silva that will come in swinging wild punches and kicks KOing the first thing in sight.

I like both of them but I'd take Cyborg if I were putting money on it

say what you want, i still think that it was scripted and that he took a dive. i got like 5 texts when it happened saying the same thing.

Honestly, this thought ran through my mind a couple times. Trying to put together a scenerio that would make a Kimbo loss benefit the dwindling EliteXC. They run a blade across Shammy's head, call it a "sparring accident", get a "tomato can" to come in and fight Kimbo, and call him ROCKY BALBOA.

Then I quickly realized that Kimbo really did get beat in 14 seconds.

How could EliteXC expect to gather the same numbers after Kimbo loses to a pink-haired guy? If the fix was on, you'd expect them to have some 6'7" giant come out and make all the fair-weather fans' jaws drop. That would enable EliteXC to transfer the aura of Kimbo to another fighter casual fans would accept as "street king". Seth Petruzelli is a light heavyweight that failed at TUF. The rematch value may be decent, but even casual fans won't fall for it being main event quality. I see Carano already nabbing the top slot for the next EliteXC show.

Another reason I believe the fix WASN'T on, was because of something we disagree on. The punches you are referring to, where he let the guy hit him in the street fight, were not placed where Petruzelli's short-right was placed. In boxing, kickboxing, even jiu jitsu, they teach you very early on that the weakest point on a fighter's face is the tip of their jaw. Sure, the entire jaw is considered "the buton" but if you flex it at the right time (bite down), you can survive pretty big blows to the side of the jaw. Most KTFO's come from fighters gassing and having their jaws loose to breathe. When Kimbo dared that hack to hit him in the backyard, he was flexing his jaw harder than his first bite of turkey at Thanksgiving.

Seth may not have hit him with something as flashy as what you saw in those backyard fights, but this isn't figure skating, it's hockey. You don't need to throw a looping haymaker to put somebody on their ass when you've been trained your entire life to get the most out of small openings.

i get what youre saying double but i just dont know if i am buying in to it as much as you guys are. i think you are right in 1) they are on their way out fast and maybe wanted to go out like that but i also think that they used this to create buzz and get people to tune in the next time to see if it will happen again or if kimbo can knock the next guy out and regain what he had going for him.

I also think that Kimbo was and is quickly going to lose his popularity to Gina. She has better fights, much more charismatic and if anyone was going to be the future it would be her.

i do wonder what is going to happen to her once this circus of MMA goes under.

No chance Kimbo took a dive. It makes ZIPPY sense from a business standpoint. Kimbo is MUCH, MUCH more marketable as an undefeated "wrecking machine" than he is Kimbo " I got KTFO in 13 seconds" Slice.

Anyone notice that there was a CBS exec in the background yelling "he's punching him in the back of the head" when it was obvious they were all clean shots?

i get what youre saying double but i just dont know if i am buying in to it as much as you guys are. i think you are right in 1) they are on their way out fast and maybe wanted to go out like that but i also think that they used this to create buzz and get people to tune in the next time to see if it will happen again or if kimbo can knock the next guy out and regain what he had going for him.

I also think that Kimbo was and is quickly going to lose his popularity to Gina. She has better fights, much more charismatic and if anyone was going to be the future it would be her.

i do wonder what is going to happen to her once this circus of MMA goes under.

for some odd reason, Dana has stated several times there will not be a womens division in the UFC. i think he's missing the boat big time on this one. usually he has great business sense, but this time i disagree.

No chance Kimbo took a dive. It makes ZIPPY sense from a business standpoint. Kimbo is MUCH, MUCH more marketable as an undefeated "wrecking machine" than he is Kimbo " I got KTFO in 13 seconds" Slice.

Anyone notice that there was a CBS exec in the background yelling "he's punching him in the back of the head" when it was obvious they were all clean shots?

when in the hell was he a knockout wrecking machine? when he beat a 146 year old tank abbott? or when it took him 3 rounds to finally pop that ear of thompson? you are being way to overly dramatic about his power in MMA.

i did hear security tell the guy who knocked him out "were here to make sure you get out of here safely". And I did also think it was weird that all of Kimbo's posse were hyping themselves up and chanting yet kimbo was not even involved and not even paying attention. he has some idiots in his camp.

and yeah, dana is missing out big time on not taking on a women's division. i dont see how it would be a problem to have a woman's fight during a card.

Why would they have their #1 attraction take a dive?

I thought about this for a while and my answer is simple. Someone.. either the REF.. Shamrock... or higher ups had money on the new fighter. I don't know what the odds were but i imagine Shamrock was a dog 3/1 maybe. When they subbed in a new fighter, just hours before the fight those odds had to be close to 5/1 or higher. anyone who knew this going in would also know that kimbo spent all his time training for Shamrock (grabbler) and they he gets a wild card pink haired kid throwing haymakers.

With the newness of this sports to betting/ and the small amount of regulation this is a perfect sport to fix. Also with a streetfight.. which is was MMA amounts to the ability to fix is much easier. (most of these guys are not making a ton of money and are easily bought, where at boxers are paid a lot already)

bottom line.. i saw nothing in that opening flurry that would make a figher go down.. i saw one shot actually connect and i think the ref called the fight far to early. That shows me the ref was on the take.:2cents:

This weekend cheapens this sport in my eyes.. i just wish they let me in on the fix.. and i had 10 g's vs. kimbo.

I also say this because last summer in the Lydel "animal" matchup in which animal crushed him.. animal was 5/1 opening dog. I was in vegas and friend of mine who lives there told me when i got there to put everythign on animal... because word was lydel was taking a dive. I rushed to ceasers to put in a bet 2 hours before the fight and they told me that betting was closed because the line had dropped from 5/1 to 2/1 in just under 4 hours. Vegas would never close a bet that early unless somthing fishy was going on.

My buddy at 10 grand on animal and walked with a cool 50 that night.

when in the hell was he a knockout wrecking machine? when he beat a 146 year old tank abbott? or when it took him 3 rounds to finally pop that ear of thompson? you are being way to overly dramatic about his power in MMA.

i did hear security tell the guy who knocked him out "were here to make sure you get out of here safely". And I did also think it was weird that all of Kimbo's posse were hyping themselves up and chanting yet kimbo was not even involved and not even paying attention. he has some idiots in his camp.

and yeah, dana is missing out big time on not taking on a women's division. i dont see how it would be a problem to have a woman's fight during a card.

I was talking about the way they want to market him. Do you think they INTENTIONALLY want to market him as anything less? Sorry, I think your theory is dead wrong. And it has nothing to do with what he is in MMA, or his abilities as a fighter. It's all about hype, and considering he is probably one of the worst HW fighters ever to grace a national audience, he still cleared 500k. Most champs don't even make that much, so he must be drawing some sick ratings. And ratings are all that CBS/EliteXC care about.

Archived