Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prevent Defense why? Makes our Stats look bad

Ynot

I would love to see the Prevent Defense improve, as we gave Dallas 150 yards of there total at the end of the first half and at the end of the game. Saw the same against Saints and Cardinals.

Pass Rush will help, but when you drop 8 and rush three and guys are that wide open? We are definitely a better pressure and man to man defense. Would like to see more exotoc defenses to mix it up.

But Hey got to like that we are using this as we have the lead!

Loving the ball control offense and the possibility of the big play!

I didn't agree with the prevent defense before halftime but it was ABSOLUTELY the right call in the 4th quarter. All we had to do was get the clock under 2 minutes, and the game would (at worst for us) come down to the onside kick. That being the case, I think we did the right thing.

Prior to halftime however, we allowed them to grab some momentum back by getting 3. Again, it wasn't awful because we basically guaranteed they wouldn't get 7, but I still think you play straight up in that situation.

Just wish our defense was dominate, like the Ravens and Steelers at times. Of course we need the pass rush for that. Hopefully Taylor will make a difference when he gets healthy.

Yes the Win column does look great! Not much to complain about I guess! ;-)

Just wish our defense was dominate, like the Ravens and Steelers at times. Of course we need the pass rush for that. Hopefully Taylor will make a difference when he gets healthy.

My problem is that we definitely get zero pass rush from our 3 man line in our prevent defense. At least with our 4 man line we get some pressure. I just don't understand a defense that automatically takes three players out of the equation on each down.

The defense they played at the end of the game was smart and well played. They conceded one score knowing 2 things: first that they would have to get an onside kick and another quick score, which wasn't likely, and second that they could make them drain clock while working for the score. Not to sound like a broken record here, but who cares about stats?

We've played some of the best offenses this league has to offer. All things considered our defense did just fine.

Only one stat I care about...WINS! Stats are for crap teams to be like "looke we are number one in this and that." Then you just go, "Yeah, but we are 3-1." Look at the teams that have won the Super Bowl. They're stats haven't been great. Most fall in the middle of the league. Its about winning.

True story. Can you imagine the momentum swing if TO would have scored on a long bomb just before half time. Only giving up 3 points, instead of 7 was huge.

Or how about the momentum swing if the Redskins had held the Cowboys to a 54 yard field goal attempt that had the possibility of missing...

Or how about the field goal at the end of the first half versus the Saints that gave New Orleans the lead....

I suppose these things were reasons the Redskins won...

The point of the prevent defense late in the game was to force Dallas to go over the middle instead of throwing long. Blache said in his interview with Johnson that Dallas is a quick-strike offense, and won several games last year, and this year, through quick scores late in the game. Blache out-schemed them by forcing them to eat up the clock late in the game when they were already out of time outs. And the result? Dallas did score a TD, but they were still obviously down (otherwise we wouldn't have run the prevent) and unless they got the onside kick (something that doesn't succeed as often as it fails) there was only 1:44 left on the clock, allowing us to kneel down and get the win.

Instead of simply hating on the prevent D because it allowed the opponent the opportunity to move the ball, try understanding WHY we did it, and the strategy involved, Blache called a great game, so making an assumption that he switched to prevent for "no reason" or "cuz he was scared" or whatever other reasoning that is based on assumptions rather than strategy is silly.

Only one stat I care about...WINS! Stats are for crap teams to be like "looke we are number one in this and that." Then you just go, "Yeah, but we are 3-1." Look at the teams that have won the Super Bowl. They're stats haven't been great. Most fall in the middle of the league. Its about winning.

Well actually...

RANK	
TEAM	OFF	DEF
2007	NYG	16	7
2006	IND	3	21
2005	PIT	15	4
2004	NE	7	9
2003	NE	17	7
2002	TB	24	1
2001	NE	19	24
2000	BAL	16	2
1999	STL	1	6
1998	DEN	8	11
1997	DEN	1	5
1996	GB	5	1
1995	DAL	5	9
1994	SF	2	8
1993	DAL	4	10
1992	DAL	4	1
1991	WAS	4	3
1990	NYG	17	2
1989	SF	1	4
1988	SF	2	3
1987	WAS	3	18
1986	NYG	10	2
1985	CHI	7	1
1984	SF	2	10
1983	LA	7	4
1982	WAS	7	4
1981	SF	13	2
1980	OAK	16	11
1979	PIT	1	2
1978	PIT	8	3

The point of the prevent defense late in the game was to force Dallas to go over the middle instead of throwing long. Blache said in his interview with Johnson that Dallas is a quick-strike offense, and won several games last year, and this year, through quick scores late in the game. Blache out-schemed them by forcing them to eat up the clock late in the game when they were already out of time outs. And the result? Dallas did score a TD, but they were still obviously down (otherwise we wouldn't have run the prevent) and unless they got the onside kick (something that doesn't succeed as often as it fails) there was only 1:44 left on the clock, allowing us to kneel down and get the win.

Instead of simply hating on the prevent D because it allowed the opponent the opportunity to move the ball, try understanding WHY we did it, and the strategy involved, Blache called a great game, so making an assumption that he switched to prevent for "no reason" or "cuz he was scared" or whatever other reasoning that is based on assumptions rather than strategy is silly.

The prevent defense was the right move at the end of the game. Anything else would have been stupid.

What I don't get are the free points the defense gives up at the end of the first half. We saw it with the Saints... And we saw it with the Cowboys.

I mean, yes, 3 is better than 7, but 0 is better than 3.

Archived