Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does this remind you of....

Thinking Skins

That 1997 season under Norv?

I remember we lost the first game of the season, and looked horrid doing so.

Then we went on a seven game winning streak and each game our offense was getting better and looking more and more dominating. People were starting to trust in Gus Ferotte and calling him the QB of the future. We had a defense that was stopping our opponents when we needed to.

So much of this stuff is being repeated today. I'm even a bit eerie thinking about the Gus vs Campbell comparison - where in Gus's first year people were praying for him to be put in the game over Shuler (similar to Campbell being asked to be put in the game over Brunell). Then in Gus's second year, I believe he was the starting QB from the getgo and we go 6-10, and people have their doubts about Gus. Then we start off 7-1 in 1997 and people are going crazy with the Gus phrases and calling Norv the next Gibbs and all the other crazy things.

Its really scary thinking back to that season and how similar it is to this season.

The one thing that seems different is that our defense doesn't seem to be the Mike Nolan "bend but don't break" one that we had then. I think we are more able to do whats necessary to win the games, but I could be wrong. GOD, I Hope I'm wrong.

Although i wouldn't mind a 7-1 start.

I'd say you make a good point because often times teams get overconfident and at times hyped way too much (as we saw with the Cowboys). However, this team is far different from the team you speak of. It is clear that Norv Turner belongs in the booth whereas there is uncertainty with Zorn...Zorn hasn't had a shot at HC and he has done a great job thus far.

As far as talent, really give it some thought, we have a truly great team! Also, give some thought to the division and the opposition that it offers. We have an uphill battle that is going to force us (and the teams around us) to fight like no other to keep our playoff hopes alive!

We are in for some good football this season and our team is looking great! Props to Zorn on a series of great games and props to Gibbs for helping construct something for Zorn and company to build off of.

Lets hope for 15-1! HAIL! :eaglesuck

As far as talent, really give it some thought, we have a truly great team! Also, give some thought to the division and the opposition that it offers. We have an uphill battle that is going to force us (and the teams around us) to fight like no other to keep our playoff hopes alive!

We are in for some good football this season and our team is looking great! Props to Zorn on a series of great games and props to Gibbs for helping construct something for Zorn and company to build off of.

Yeah, and one other thing is that that season we had all those wins in meaningless games (as far as playoff contention)...namely AFC games and games against non-divisional opponents. I mean just counting the 4 games we have so far we're 3-1 in the NFC and 1-1 in the division. And if we were to go on a run like that, we'd have a real nice conference record that would help us a lot when we're trying to get in the playoffs and compete for the division crown.

Yeah I do see your logic on this. I remember that season. But I think this team is more grounded. They have tasted the playoffs, and have the bitter taste of losing. So I think they'll keep their focus. Our schedule does look soft. So by the bye well know where we stand. I have to admit I am getting excited. Trying to use the most used phrase in football "one game at a time".

This team looks much more complete than that '96 team. We won a lot of games during that streak with smoke and mirrors against weak competition.

Nothing is written. We could lose the rest of our games. You never know.

But no, we don't look anything like that team right now.

In my opinion.

No. Even Darrell Green, when they were 7-1 said that they were not that good. :)

They won a lot of games against bad teams and they won a lot of games by getting lucky, having teams just fall down in front of them.

JC is already a better QB than Gus. That team was just not very good, they just won. This team is good, and is winning, and should improve to through the season, barring injury.

This team looks much more complete than that '96 team. We won a lot of games during that streak with smoke and mirrors against weak competition.

Nothing is written. We could lose the rest of our games. You never know.

But no, we don't look anything like that team right now.

In my opinion.

Yeah, I do remember us beating teams that were like a combined record of something horrible. This year we've beaten 3 previously unbeaten teams.

But the thing is that after the Philly game, we have a bit of a lull in our schedule. Will we have a similar fluff?

The other difference is that we've had a good defense over the past few years with the same players, so its not like we have Lynn doing nothing back there.

The other thing is that we've been to the playoffs twice in the last 4 years and so the team may know not to get a head too big.

Archived