Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lose Your House Lose Your Vote

jpyaks3

This is pretty low. The Michigan Republican Party is trying to get people whose houses were foreclosed votes thrown out simply because their house was foreclosed. Now this will largely effect African Americans and the poor both who vote overwhelmingly for Democrats.

http://www.michiganmessenger.com/4076/lose-your-house-lose-your-vote

"The chairman of the Republican Party in Macomb County Michigan, a key swing county in a key swing state, is planning to use a list of foreclosed homes to block people from voting in the upcoming election as part of the state GOP’s effort to challenge some voters on Election Day.

“We will have a list of foreclosed homes and will make sure people aren’t voting from those addresses,” party chairman James Carabelli told Michigan Messenger in a telephone interview earlier this week. He said the local party wanted to make sure that proper electoral procedures were followed.

State election rules allow parties to assign “election challengers” to polls to monitor the election. In addition to observing the poll workers, these volunteers can challenge the eligibility of any voter provided they “have a good reason to believe” that the person is not eligible to vote. One allowable reason is that the person is not a “true resident of the city or township.”

The Michigan Republicans’ planned use of foreclosure lists is apparently an attempt to challenge ineligible voters as not being “true residents.”

One expert questioned the legality of the tactic.

“You can’t challenge people without a factual basis for doing so,” said J. Gerald Hebert, a former voting rights litigator for the U.S. Justice Department who now runs the Campaign Legal Center, a Washington D.C.-based public-interest law firm. “I don’t think a foreclosure notice is sufficient basis for a challenge, because people often remain in their homes after foreclosure begins and sometimes are able to negotiate and refinance.”

As for the practice of challenging the right to vote of foreclosed property owners, Hebert called it, “mean-spirited.”

The Republican america, "Hit hard times, and we'll work to make it worse!"

- Against unemployment benefits

- Against allowing you to vote.

- Against social programs.

If you are rich however, we'll make sure your companies don't fail... hell we'll take them over if we have to!

The Republican america, "Hit hard times, and we'll work to make it worse!"

- Against unemployment benefits

- Against allowing you to vote.

- Against social programs.

Life's a ***** and then you die, Destino. Most of the people who are getting these handouts from the government don't deserve them to begin with. They got themselves into that trouble and now they want someone else to bail their ass out. SORRY but it shouldn't be my problem to bail them out from their mistakes.

As for the voting issue.... I agree that about 85% of Americans shouldn't be allowed to vote. Most of them prove on a daily basis that they have no understanding of the difference between Right and Wrong, nevermind any comprehension of Morals or Values.

Life's a ***** and then you die, Destino. Most of the people who are getting these handouts from the government don't deserve them to begin with. They got themselves into that trouble and now they want someone else to bail their ass out. SORRY but it shouldn't be my problem to bail them out from their mistakes.

As for the voting issue.... I agree that about 85% of Americans shouldn't be allowed to vote. Most of them prove on a daily basis that they have no understanding of the difference between Right and Wrong, nevermind any comprehension of Morals or Values.

Don't say you're sorry, MSF. We all know you're not.

After the *purging (excuse me..."voter cleansing") of the Florida voting rolls in 2000 by Florida Sec. of State Katherine Harris, I suspect the Democratic party is ready for any GOP shananigans.

As I suspect the GOP is ready for shenanigans that the Democratic party does.

*If you don't recall..the cleansing was 8,000 ex-felons "scrubbed" from their list of voters. But it turns out none on the list were guilty of felonies, only misdemeanors. They shouldn't have been removed.

Don't say you're sorry, MSF. We all know you're not.

I'm sorry that I have to keep explaining this to people because the average citizen is too stupid to comprehend it themselves without it being engraved on a 2x4 and used on the back of their head.

You are correct that I'm not sorry at all about walking past all the bums and vagrants on the street and not even acknowledging that they exist. I'm not sorry that I hang up on any phone solicitor seeking money or simply pass the collection plate on the rare occassions I'm in a church without putting anything in it. I'm proud to say that I have no charitable donations to list on my tax return.

Archived