Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder Turns Your Time Into His Money

Horatio

I wonder what the difference in income would be if you adjusted for the capacities and inflation between the two stadiums (RFK and FedEx), or better yet, between the JKC and Snyder ownerships. Amazingly, JKC and the organization were far more successful, stable, and loved than Snyder's crew. And there was still plenty of money to go around.

It's quite obvious Snyder puts business-first. You see in his interviews that he always talks about going to games at RFK with his father and how he had such a great time there. Yet he squeezes more people into the stadium, increases prices, and instills a confusing library of different clubs and sections you can belong to, while having 4 beer guys walking up and down a single aisle in the upper deck, blocking your views of the game. He's creating the anti-RFK experience, not embracing it. And amazingly, with all the money in the world, he still ends up with mediocre teams.

The stadium was built and designed for 78,000 people. It now seats 91,000. The only improvements to the original stadium that I can name are the escalators to the upper deck. There have been no improvements to the roads, no additional bathrooms, and now fewer gates into the stadium (the conversion of the entrance at the end of Arena drive to a beer garden entrance is particularly galling considering how many people walk down that road from the blue, red, and parts of the green lots). The outer walkways are lined with vendors peddling credit cards, beer, etc making it claustrophobic/difficult to get to your seat once you get into the place. Snyder has created a mess and the only thing they are willing to do is tell people to get there earlier or buy the cut in line passes. There are not enough security folks to conduct proper patdowns and they do a half-*** job that accomplishes nothing other than to waste everybody's time (and keep out dangerous outside food and drink that could harm Danny's bottom line). It would not surprise me if these special passes eventually apply to the elevators as well (which are only supposed to be used by the handicapped) or to one part of the escalators.

If you've been going to 3-4 games a year for the last 10 years, you know what I mean. I had actually planned to sell off my tix this year, but ended up splitting one with a friend. I will be at the Saints game this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

This is a great post. And pretty much EXACTLY why I am no longer a season ticket holder. The final straw for me was missing half of the 2nd quarter of the Bills game last year waiting in line for the bathroom. Seriously...it ain't worth it to me.

I'd be interested to hear about the game-day experience this weekend. I wonder if anything has changed/improved. If anything, the lack of a metro shuttle this year could make for an interesting time getting into the stadium.

>> By offering poor service (stadium entry and video highlights), he is pushing premium services as an alternative. These services would not be necessary or nearly as profitable if he was providing services in an acceptable manner (like most other NFL teams).

Why are so many of the other posters missing this point? OK, Snyder can't FORCE anyone to buy his services...but he can make the average game-day experience so bad that you will want to upgrade out of sheer frustration. I think he's doing the same thing with Red Zebra: provide such crummy AM signal to the Redskins games that we will one day have no choice but to buy his rumored satellite broadcasts...they aren't a reality yet, but could be.

What has Snyder done to make the game day experience for the AVERAGE fan better??

Why are so many of the other posters missing this point? OK, Snyder can't FORCE anyone to buy his services...but he can make the average game-day experience so bad that you will want to upgrade out of sheer frustration. I think he's doing the same thing with Red Zebra: provide such crummy AM signal to the Redskins games that we will one day have no choice but to buy his rumored satellite broadcasts...they aren't a reality yet, but could be.

What has Snyder done to make the game day experience for the AVERAGE fan better??

Good points. And the day I am forced to purchase Redskins Satellite Radio to listen to the games is the day I stop listening.

The key is to enter the game early so you can hear Mark Kessler remind you that:

"FEDEX FIELD IS THE LARGEST STADIUM IN THE NFL"

Everybody is supposed to cheer loudly for this notion because being reminded that we have the biggest stadium is a great way to fire up the crowd of 40,000 who are in their seats a half hour before kickoff.

Every game he yells the same thing into the mic.

A good reason not to take your seat until the ball is on the tee at 1:05 PM.

You see in his interviews that he always talks about going to games at RFK with his father and how he had such a great time there.

I'm still not sure I even believe Snyder when he talks about this. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy you would find in the stands at football games, because he was too busy scheming up new ways to make money as a child. I wonder if anyone has ever asked him to name some of his favorite moments at RFK, other than beating the Cryboys in the NFC Champ game in '82?

Sad, but this does ring true in many ways.

For example, the article is right about the "lite brite" jumbtron....every other team in the league has something that is at least respectable....what we have would embarass a single-A baseball club. So does Snyder upgrade? Nope...in fact, i'm surprised he hasn't pulled the plug or made it black and white and show nothing but Leave it to Beaver re-runs during the game so you'd literally be under duress to fork over the cash for one of those stupid kangarooTV gizmos....i know, i know, don't give him any ideas. :doh:

I was a club seat owner for the first 5 seasons of the stadium. I gave them up after my lease expired after the 01 season because the renewel cost was literally double what I had been paying.

I had not been inside the Stadium since until last season when I got tickets to the Cowboys game at the end of the year.

I can honestly say that other than cramming a ton more people and filling every spot possible with advertising, I did not see anything that has changed for the better in the 6 years since I was in there.

What exactly has Snyder and company done to improve the stadium itself or the game day experience? I didn't see it. Just sell sell sell. We're here to watch the Redskins play, not be bludgeoned with advertising.

I also gotta say, I didn't mind the tiny replay screens back when I had the tickets (1997-2001) but I sure did notice how small they were when I went last year. It really has gone from embarrassing to laughable that they still have not upgraded that those things yet. People were goofing on those things back in 2000/01 and here we are in 2008 and no change? All that revenue and nothing?

I know the metro buses are gone, but is it still possible to take the metro to the game? Is there a private owned bus company doing the rounds or something?

Just take the blue line to the Morgan Blvd. stop. It's just about a mile walk to the parking lot.

I would like to see a second escalator to the upper level on the other side of the stadium. I wonder if there is a reason why this hasn't been done yet?

Also, I wonder how the Metro is going to be on Sunday since they won't be running the shuttle from Landover. Is everyone going to pile on the Blue Line?

Archived