Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shotgun could be used more per Zorn....

shuler74

thatnk god thank god thank god!!! i said from the start that shotgun is the way to go for campbell. he definitely has a much easier time moving the sticks. he actually scans the field when hes in shotgun, much easier presnap reads. hopefully zorn keeps his word and we will see on sunday:point2sky

The shotgun is but a small step, he needs to let Jason run the hurry up during the game, not just at the ends of the halves if we are losing.

Zorn needs to implement the plays he wants into the hurry up and without delay. Watching us huddle up and being under center down two scores late is almost inexcusible; Zorn did it only because the plays he wanted to run couldnt be called in the hurry up. I think it was the play action sweeps; we needed to do that to the overly aggressive G Dline long before that.

Running from the shotgun is the draw, the pitch, or the shovel pass. There is little option for play action there. But we hardly ran any play action until late in the 4th, so its really not a part of our gibbs run game / Zorn pass game just yet. That is the grey area. As we all saw, it appears we only have one play action, that big sweep left. PA is the integration of the run and passing attack, and I think we know they are not yet integrated.

See: Patriots

I like that Zorn is willing to to be flexible in an effort to win NOW.

Come on, the redskins are not the patriots. I just never seen a West coast team play out of the shotgun. Maybe Zorn will make it work. Every west coast offense has a twist.

See: Patriots

I like that Zorn is willing to to be flexible in an effort to win NOW.

+1. I think that Zorn needs to call plays that cater to Jason's strengths now, give him time to learn and practice the repetitive West Coast plays that he is so tentative with right now.

Campbell completed 60% last year. He is not a bad passer. He just sees something that he doesnt like, like a LB about to plaster Moss.

Win now; call the plays Jason struggles with later in the game once we have the lead, not to open the game. Use that big arm Zorn, dont tie it behind his back all year.

But how are they going to run the ball and pull out some play action?

They will use the shotgun MORE, not exclusively.

You CAN run from the Shotgun.

Play action passes are not a big factor in the WCO with three and five step drops. They are more typically associated with power running and vertical passing games like the Coryell offenses.

Shotgun for a change-up = good. Shotgun as a temporary crutch to help JC get up to speed = reluctantly necessary. Shotgun to compensate for QB inadequacies = idiocy.

I asked for more "shotgun WCO" to help JC back in March. If it helps JC find a little time until he can get some game speed, I'm still good with it. Using it cripples what a WCO can do though.

They will use the shotgun MORE, not exclusively.

You CAN run from the Shotgun.

Play action passes are not a big factor in the WCO with three and five step drops. They are more typically associated with power running and vertical passing games like the Coryell offenses.

Exactly. You don't run play action with a three step drop--you get rid of the ball immediately. You can run out of the shotgun...in fact, you can spread out defense with 4 wide and run out of the shotgun. Until Campbell gets comfortable, we should put him in it.

This really does show how good zorn is as a coach. If he uses shotgun a lot during the saints game and it works I'm ready to give him the coach of the year award.

The redskins: You hate them on Sunday after the game, Monday - Wednesday you find some ray of hope, Thurs - Sat you feel like the skins will destroy this weeks team and then it happens all over again. I don't know how they do but I'm feeling some hope

God I love this team

Definite good news. For whatever reason Campbell has looked like a different QB while in shotgun in his short career here. I am assuming this won't hurt the run game too much and might allow them to do a few different things. Two teams that use shotgun a lot are the Patriots and the Colts. Although they have HOF QB's I am hopeful the offense can at least move the ball consistently playing to more of JC's strengths.

Everyone here that is all :cry: We won't be able to run or play action! And the whole world is going to end because I don't understand the shotgun! And I don't think football has changed at all since 1982! :cry: Needs to chill out a little bit. Did Zorn say he wants to run 100% of the plays from the shotgun? I didn't read that. Isn't there some team with a horse shoe on their helmet and a QB that looks like a beluga that uses the shotgun and passes and runs the shiznit outta the ball? Don't think you can still PA when you use the shotgun? Well if you are passing primarily outta the shotgun what do you think the defense is going to think when you are under center? Jim Zorn might be a rookie head coach but dude was a pretty good QB and has been around the game a long time. Give him a chance here guys. Let him tweek the O as he sees fit. Will he make some mistakes? Yes. Will it make us all angry? Yes. But for Christ's sakes...give the man a chance to try to maximize the talent he's got.

Archived