Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Perspective on the Rookie WRs

redskns21

I came accross this article from Pat Kirwin who I listen to regularly on the very informative show Movin The Chains on Sirius NFL radio. http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story;jsessionid=6875820F5AF3FDF953D0B790ACBE8AAF?id=09000d5d80a6c9d2&template=with-video&confirm=true

Basically, the gist of the article is that there aren't a lot of rookies starting in week 1, I think he said 3% of this year's opening day starters will be rookies.

The only WR starting as a rookie is Eddie Royal in Denver. That's largely due to the fact that Brandon Marshall will be out due to suspension.

While I'm not excited by their lack of progress, I think it's far too early to be labeling these guys as non-contributors this year or even busts as some have done.

It's not so much that they aren't starting the first game. Neither could pass the team fitness test, one couldn't even make a preseason showing, the other showed nothing but an aversion to taking a hit and an inability to complete a proper route or show good hand skills.

On the bright side, there is nowhere to go but up.

Here are the first 3 WRS in the first going back 5 years and thier rookie production:

Calvin Johnson-- 15 G, 48 REC, 756 YDS, 4 TDS

Ted Ginn -- 9 G, 34 REC, 420 YDS, 2 TDs

Dwayne Bowe -- 15 G, 70 REC, 995 YDS, 5 TDs

Sanantion Holmes (only one)-- 16 G, 49 REC, 824 YDS, 2 TDs

Braylon Edwards-- 10 G. 32 REC, 512 YDS, 3 TDs

Troy Williamson-- 14 G, 24 REC, 372 YDS, 2 TDs

Mike WIlliams-- 14 G, 29 REC, 350 YDS, 1 TD

Fitz -- 16 G, 58 REC, 780 YDS, 8 TDs

Roy Williams -- 14 G, 54 REC, 817 YDS, 8 TDs

Reggie Williams -- 16 G, 27 REC, 268 YDS, 1 TD

Lee Evans -- 16 G, 48 REC, 843 YDS, 9 TDs

Charles Rogers -- 5 G, 22 REC, 243 YDS, 3 TDs

Andre Johnson -- 16 G, 66 REC, 976 YDS, 4 TDs

Bryant Johnson -- 15 G, 35 REC, 525 YDS, 2 TDS

Stallworth -- 13 G, 42 REC, 594 YDS, 8 TDs

Lelie -- 16 G, 35 REC, 525 YDS, 2 TDs

Javon Walker -- 15 G, 23 REC, 319 YDS, 1 TDs

These kids are young ... and, lets give them the same opportunies we have given JC.

Keep in mind, Jason did not start his rookie year either - unlike most of the other first round QBs. He was protected for a year and half so ... even he could learn and understand the offense. And, guess what? He still plays like a rookie making mistakes that are inexcusable for someone who is in his 4th not 1st year.

Devin and Malcom will do just fine ... they do have the talent, and once they get their groove they will be an incredible asset to the Skins!

These kids are young ... and, lets give them the same opportunies we have given JC.

Keep in mind, Jason did not start his rookie year either - unlike most of the other first round QBs. He was protected for a year and half so ... even he could learn and understand the offense. And, guess what? He still plays like a rookie making mistakes that are inexcusable for someone who is in his 4th not 1st year.

Which offense was that?

I don't think there is anything to worry about with Kelly. He got hurt. That's it. He still can prove to be a good value. Thomas worries me because he almost seems lost and beaten already.

Agreed. Kelly, when on the field during camp looked impressive. There was even talk about him having a chance to start this year. His injury, while frustrating, isn't serious. Knee scopes typically take 6-8 weeks to fully recover from. He should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Thomas has looked lost. He's got the tools, and I'm sure he will continue to improve. But he sure hasn't shown anything yet.

After watching the first weekend of football all i can say is wow so many 08 rookies are making an impact (at least for the first game anyway). Forte, Jones, Jackson, Ryan, Rice and the list goes on. I hope our rookies will contribute sooner then later..especially out top 3 picks.

Here we go again....

How many rookies were drafted this year? Over 200 thats how many.

And how many are making an impact on their team? A handful? Give it a break guys, its the luck of the draw. We had Sean Taylor, Chris Cooley, Chris Samuels, Laron Landry. Lavar Arrington and others we have drafted make an impact as rookies. Its a crap shoot. Doesn't mean they won't be good later on. Its not like we are going to win the super bowl this year even if they do. Takes the whole team. And right now, we other issues.

Desean jackson got PT against a HORRIBLE rams defense and had 6 catches for 106 yards. Devin Thomas got on the field a couple times against a pretty good Giants defense and the other two top rookies didnt play because of injury and a inactive (big surprise to me).

Just saying jackson got to play and he produced, besides the fact that it was against a poor D. Forte Started for his team at a different position (running back), ray rice had to play.

Desean jackson got PT against a HORRIBLE rams defense and had 6 catches for 106 yards. Devin Thomas got on the field a couple times against a pretty good Giants defense and the other two top rookies didnt play because of injury and a inactive (big surprise to me).

Just saying jackson got to play and he produced, besides the fact that it was against a poor D. Forte Started for his team at a different position (running back), ray rice had to play.

:applause:

Some people just don't understand.

Rookie running backs can come in and contribute right away. Aside from D. Jackson (Who we couldn't take because he is the exact same size as our current wr's!!), show me some other rooks at wr or te that made an impact.

Limas Sweed

James Hardy

Dustin Kellar

Donnie Avery

Jerome Simpson

Dexter Jackson

Martellus Bennett

All of these guys who were taken in Rounds 1 or 2 were either inactive or didn't make a single catch

Rookie running backs can come in and contribute right away. Aside from D. Jackson (Who we couldn't take because he is the exact same size as our current wr's!!), show me some other rooks at wr or te that made an impact.

Limas Sweed

James Hardy

Dustin Kellar

Donnie Avery

Jerome Simpson

Dexter Jackson

Martellus Bennett

All of these guys who were taken in Rounds 1 or 2 were either inactive or didn't make a single catch

When Colt Brennan was being interviewed by NFL network at the senior bowl, they asked him who he thought was the best wide reciever he had worked with and the first words outa Colts mouth was Limas Sweed.

When Colt Brennan was being interviewed by NFL network at the senior bowl, they asked him who he thought was the best wide reciever he had worked with and the first words outa Colts mouth was Limas Sweed.

Sweed is currently fifth on the Steelers' WR depth chart, so at least right now he's no further along than our guys.

WR's typically take the longest to start producing (behind QBs)... there are always exceptions, but the overwhelming majority of WRs take 2-3 years before they have significant contributions... is why I liked our draft, but did not expect it to affect this year's team at all... just look at the numbers over the years..

I think after one year, the true strength of our draft class will be known. I think we made an especially good investment in Horton and Moore. They'll probably make the most impact initially. Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly will show their true colors late in the season and next year as well. Some positions take more time than others and WR is definitely one of them.

Andy Reid planned for Jackson to play some anyway, even if Kevin Curtis had not been injured. He had drawn up simple routes for Jackson to run and remember and apparently it worked out good.

Archived