Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier era, round 2 ???

FanSinceSonnyJ

Not sure about you guys, but we've looked lousy the last two preseason games on both sides of the ball. I'm reminded of the Spurrier era when we started out hot in preseason and went on to a subpar season. Jason Campbell has also looked weak...again.

Yes, I know it's only preseason, but nonetheless...

Anyone else a tad worried at this point?

So this is another thread about someone being concerned with our play so far. Why don't you try posting your thoughts in the other 22858346678676 active threads about the same thing.

As far as Spurrier? HELL NO! He tried to bring in every Florida player and run a college scheme in the NFL. Zorn is using the WCO which has been in success for decades.

So this is another thread about someone being concerned with our play so far. Why don't you try posting your thoughts in the other 22858346678676 active threads about the same thing.

As far as Spurrier? HELL NO! He tried to bring in every Florida player and run a college scheme in the NFL. Zorn is using the WCO which has been in success for decades.

Why don't you watch your tone with me please young one. At 22, your barely old enough to remember the Spurrier era...much less our glory years. At your age, you may be delighted with middling results, some of us veteran fans have higher standards.

Let's hope Zorn is just playing possum with what we saw the past couple of weeks. Otherwise, it's going to be a long season.

Spurrier didn't game plan, didn't bother to get to know all his players, was basically very unproffesional in a lot of aspects as a head coach. Zorn has shown nothing but bprofessionalism and straight-forwardness. They are both QB guys though, and I think that is the sole basis for the OPs comparison.

Joe Gibbs started 0-5 and looked horrible before he figured it out his rookie year, then we won the super bowl in his second season. I've said before that I'd be happy to come out of our first five regular season games 2-3. I'm not too worried, things will work out in the end.

Why don't you watch your tone with me please young one. At 22, your barely old enough to remember the Spurrier era...much less our glory years. At your age, you may be delighted with middling results, some of us veteran fans have higher standards.

Let's hope Zorn is just playing possum with what we saw the past couple of weeks. Otherwise, it's going to be a long season.

Just cause us "youngins" dont remember the glory years, doesn't mean we don't know about them. And aside from hsi first season record, that's a very strong assumption to make that we don't remember him. I was in 9th and 10th grade when he was the coach - my memory is far better than that.

No, Zorn really looks like a coach that can change this team into a winner. He reminds of Marty in that he doesn't toy around with the team. I think they'll go 8-8 with his system and really contend next year. That Jansen and Heyer thing really shows me he's not a coach that jokes around. He seems like a player's coach but he's really the opposite. Putting players under the bus and calling out veterans is not a player's coach its marty schottenheimer II.

The skins will start horribly this year but Zorn is not afraid of putting in young guys in place of Vets. They come back in the second half of the year.

Why don't you watch your tone with me please young one. At 22, your barely old enough to remember the Spurrier era...much less are glory years.

Its "OUR" glory years old man...

Anyway.....no Im not reminded of Spurrior at all actually. High profile coach? Nah. Full roster of his former players? Nah. Fun and Gun? Nope. We excelled in 2 preseason games and didnt look so great in the other 3.

Frankly it really doesnt matter....at all. The Patriots are 0-4 and the Colts are 1-3 in the preseason, and the DETROIT LIONS are 4-0. None of this means anything.....everyone step away from the minefield.

No' date=' Zorn really looks like a coach that can change this team into a winner. He reminds of Marty in that he doesn't toy around with the team. I think they'll go 8-8 with his system and really contend next year. That Jansen and Heyer thing really shows me he's not a coach that jokes around. He seems like a player's coach but he's really the opposite. Putting players under the bus and calling out veterans is not a player's coach its marty schottenheimer II.

The skins will start horribly this year but Zorn is not afraid of putting in young guys in place of Vets. They come back in the second half of the year.[/quote']

You may very well be right. I too like when he calls out lousy performance. Let's hope this is just a snafu and Zorn will get this turned around quickly.

Just cause us "youngins" dont remember the glory years, doesn't mean we don't know about them. And aside from hsi first season record, that's a very strong assumption to make that we don't remember him. I was in 9th and 10th grade when he was the coach - my memory is far better than that.

Oh gee, you were 14 when Spurrier was our coach. Sorry I questioned your maturity. :jerk:

Oh gee, you were 14 when Spurrier was our coach. Sorry I questioned your maturity. :jerk:

Its funny you are in here attacking everyone that was younger than you during the Spurrior era.

NO, I think pretty much everyone disagrees with you that this reminds them of the spurrior era....got it?:doh:

Not sure about you guys, but we've looked lousy the last two preseason games on both sides of the ball. I'm reminded of the Spurrier era when we started out hot in preseason and went on to a subpar season. Jason Campbell has also looked weak...again.

Yes, I know it's only preseason, but nonetheless...

Anyone else a tad worried at this point?

Do you mean weak in that the first pass, which was perfectly thrown, was not caught and led to an interception? Weak in that Cooley did not catch a money pass in between two defenders, which ended that drive as well? So is JC supposed to catch the balls he's throwing? This is what I would assume because nothing he did looked weak except the one throw which was short to Thrash. Last weekend the OLine couldn't block, this week the receivers couldn't catch. I forgot all the good QB's blocked for themselves, threw the ball, and then ran out and caught them.

To answer the question....this is not Spurrier part two. Zorn has NFL coaching experience, even if it isn't HC exp. Spurrier could not grasp the concept of the blitz. Our defense is much better now than it was then. Everyone needs to calm down a bit with a new coach. Before preseason, everyone knew there would be some kinks at first. After the first two preseason games, expectations rose too much. The team has to find itself in the new system.

NO, I think pretty much everyone disagrees with you that this reminds them of the spurrior era....got it?:doh:

You have to admit, there are some similarities:

• Both coaches have no NFL coaching experience.
  • Both are replacing 'old school' type coaches.
  • Both started quick in preseason and excited the fanbase.
  • Both are deferring to others when it comes to player acquisition.
  • Both are dealing with unreal expectations.

How it turns out is anyone's guess.

Archived