Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More Dix Chix

codeorama

NEWS - Dixie Chicks Fear For Personal Safety After Backlash Of Anti-Bush Comment

04/04/2003

(4/4/03, 7 a.m. ET) -- The Dixie Chicks are expressing concern for their personal safety since singer Natalie Maines uttered the now infamous anti-Bush statement, "We're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas," to a London audience.

"We've gotten a lot of hate mail, a lot of threatening mail," Martie Maguire told reporters in Australia. "Emily (Robison) had the front gate of her ranch smashed in. We have to have security when we get back to the States. It puts my well-being in jeopardy."

Maines, however, has reacted more flippantly to the situation, according to reports. The singer said, "The more flack I get for it, the prouder I am." She was also quick to point out that in her hometown of Lubbock, Texas, "only six people showed up," for a public Chicks CD-smashing protest.

Maines's comment has also taken its toll on the Dixie Chicks' album sales, which have dropped a reported 52 percent. Despite the dip in sales, the group remains the top-selling country act, with their album Home firmly entrenched in the Number One spot on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart.

The Dixie Chicks will kick off their "Top Of The World" tour on May 1 in Greenville, South Carolina.

-- Margy Holland, Nashville

For more news at LAUNCH

That's crazy that their sales have dropped 52% but they are still the numberone Country Act... What does that say for country music...:laugh:

The Marshall Tucker band has announced they are performing a benefit concert that night in Greenville. All the door receipts will go to veterans groups.

Charlie Daniels has announced he will be touring with stops in every city the Dixie Chicks are scheduled to perform. Other Country acts, including Darrell Whorley of "Have you Forgotten", have committed as well.

Actions have consequences. It's sick that anyone would threaten them, but I totally support the boycot of their merchandise.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

The Marshall Tucker band has announced they are performing a benefit concert that night in Greenville. All the door receipts will go to veterans groups.

Charlie Daniels has announced he will be touring with stops in every city the Dixie Chicks are scheduled to perform. Other Country acts, including Darrell Whorley of "Have you Forgotten", have committed as well.

Actions have consequences. It's sick that anyone would threaten them, but I totally support the boycot of their merchandise.

Totally agree...

It doesn't bother me what they said, I'm not a fan of theirs nor would it matter what their opinion was if I were. But I do feel strongly that if people have a problem with them, they should boycott them and let them know, make them pay where it hurts. If I personally were a celebrity, I would keep my political comments to myself.

I disagree. I think they should be able to say what they feel. They're opinions shouldn't carry any particular weight, mind you. By boycotting their products you're exercising your freedom of expression much as they did which is also commendable. Threatening someone for stating their beliefs, however well meaning or misguided, as you stated is very sad.

Burgold, I agree that they should be allowed to say whatever they want... I totally agree with that.

All I 'm saying is that if other's disagree with what they say, they should not buy their records or not support them if that's how they feel.

I personally would keep my political views to myself because business is for money and when you take a side, you alienate people and give yourself less opportunities to make money.

But that's just me...

I have no problem with any celeb speaking their mind, that's their right as an American to do that.

And I also agree that regardless of their positon, no one should ever be threatned.. that's nuts.

Repercussions are generally reserved for libel or slander, I agree. Private repercussions like loss of popularity or boycotting of products are also reasonable, these are private actions which are different than government sponsored reactions. It's a legit form of civil protest against someone's opinions or actions.

Well that Nascar fanbase of theirs will probably take care of that flippant tude of hers when there arent sellouts and more boycotts.

I'm not into their music which is basically country pop.

However it is interesting that the best pro american ballads are from country and western singers.

Originally posted by Burgold

Repercussions are generally reserved for libel or slander, I agree. Private repercussions like loss of popularity or boycotting of products are also reasonable, these are private actions which are different than government sponsored reactions. It's a legit form of civil protest against someone's opinions or actions.

I seem to remember back in the mid to late 80's, some were boycotting Coors products for their alleged relationship with the John Birtch Society. A couple of liquor stores I use to go to didn't carry Coors products. :pint:

Country endures. Rock stagnates. Rap is incomprehensible.

It's a musical genre where lyrics count for something. I grew up hating it - I would correct people who used the term 'country music' claiming it to be an oxymoron - but a few evenings in bars in Tempe, Arizona drinking Chivas on Waylon 'n Willie night sort of changed my perspective.

I have been to the Grand Old Opry - and not the new one, but the Ryman Auditorium. I've seen George Jones, Willie Nelson, John Anderson, David Allen Coe, Tanya Tucker live.

It's an acquired taste, but there are some things that you just can't have without country music. Like tractor pulls....:silly:

it's unfortunate they can't speak their mind and not fear for their safety.

oh well.

i'll bet this is long forgotten by the time the war is over and they still sell-out concerts and have the number-one cd on the charts, and all those who once boycotted them will be back.

Originally posted by AJWatson3

i'll bet this is long forgotten by the time the war is over and they still sell-out concerts and have the number-one cd on the charts, and all those who once boycotted them will be back.

I don't think so. I have heard rumors that they have or are about to breakup. If they do end up staying together, we will see when they come back to the States May 1!!

being the morning show host of a country radio station, and also being the program and music director for four country radio stations, i want to put my input in on this subject. first of all, i left it up to my disc jockey's to each decide if they want to play dixie chicks music. i have elected not to play them at the present time on my morning show. i think that natalie maines acted with "extreme cowardice", when she said these comments overseas. if she had made them in delaware, she would have gotten booed and things would have been over. but the fact is, she did it in a country that already hates most americans. i haven't heard any rumors circulating about the dixie chicks breaking up, but i wouldn't be suprised, if they sometime replace natalie. (although she is the heart and soul of the group.) i will tell you guys one thing, "traveling soldier" their number one hit about war and soldiers and humanity, has plummeted down the charts, and their album sales have dropped something like 24 percent, but they're still number one on the album charts. go figure.

Originally posted by jaydean

being the morning show host of a country radio station, and also being the program and music director for four country radio stations, i want to put my input in on this subject. first of all, i left it up to my disc jockey's to each decide if they want to play dixie chicks music. i have elected not to play them at the present time on my morning show. i think that natalie maines acted with "extreme cowardice", when she said these comments overseas. if she had made them in delaware, she would have gotten booed and things would have been over. but the fact is, she did it in a country that already hates most americans. i haven't heard any rumors circulating about the dixie chicks breaking up, but i wouldn't be suprised, if they sometime replace natalie. (although she is the heart and soul of the group.) i will tell you guys one thing, "traveling soldier" their number one hit about war and soldiers and humanity, has plummeted down the charts, and their album sales have dropped something like 24 percent, but they're still number one on the album charts. go figure.

That's what I was saying, the articles says their sales have dropped 52%, but they are still #1... that either says that country is really weak or that they were lightyears past their competition.

I don't like country music, but my wife is a big fan. She love the Chicks with Dix as I call them (I called them that before the whole controversy). She could care less either way about their comments, she was against the war to start because both of her brothers are serving and she does not what them to be hurt. But I can understand someone who is Pro Bush getting upset.

I heard a rumor today about the Chicks with Dix (catchy nickname, Code :laugh:) being currently on tour in Australia and that during one of their gigs Down Under Ms. Natalie allegedly announced to the crowd that she "meant" what she'd said about Bush.

yeah, i heard that too. here's the bottom line....i would pay top dollar to be in the front row when they play their first american tour show. i believe it's in houston texas. and if i heard right, they're playing for a crowd that will be about 50-60 percent military families. THAT COULD GET UGLY. we'll see if she says she meant that comment when she's in that crowd.

Originally posted by Glenn X

I heard a rumor today about the Chicks with Dix (catchy nickname, Code :laugh:) being currently on tour in Australia and that during one of their gigs Down Under Ms. Natalie allegedly announced to the crowd that she "meant" what she'd said about Bush.

Thanks.. I try to harass my wife as much as possible when she listens to them...:cool:

Originally posted by jaydean

yeah, i heard that too. here's the bottom line....i would pay top dollar to be in the front row when they play their first american tour show. i believe it's in houston texas. and if i heard right, they're playing for a crowd that will be about 50-60 percent military families. THAT COULD GET UGLY. we'll see if she says she meant that comment when she's in that crowd.

i never realized there were so many military people in TX... how did they corner the market on DC tix? and why would they be supporting them?

Archived