Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Iowa native Rinehart fits in fine with Redskins

azskin

Sorry if this is a repost, I tried searching and came up nothing.Click here for article: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ajh2qw8ra4yS637hR8fofyir0op4?slug=ap-redskins-iowalineman&prov=ap&type=lgns

ASHBURN, Va. (AP)—Chad Rinehart certainly fits the role of the stereotypical Iowa lineman: Raised in a small town, worked on a corn farm, grew to 300 pounds and played football at a state university.

Rinehart, the son of a truck driver and a school teacher, baled hay and detasseled corn before enrolling at Northern Iowa. Of all the Washington Redskins rookies, perhaps none is getting better reviews at training camp than the third-round pick from Boone, Iowa—population 12,000.

Rinehart has the intimidating look down pat, having shaved his head and face to leave only the slightest layer of stubble. He’s also one of the last offensive players to leave the field after practice.

“He’s a tough dude,” offensive line coach Joe Bugel said. “He’s got good football intelligence, and he’s one rookie that came in and is not intimidated. A lot of those guys get saucer eyes, you line up against Jason Taylor and probably want to get his autograph. He’s really come along in camp.”

Coach Jim Zorn has said that Rinehart will play a vital role for the Redskins this season, a reflection of the concern over the fragile state of the starting offensive line. The “Dirtbags”—Chris Samuels, Pete Kendall, Casey Rabach, Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen—make for a solid five when healthy. But they are all in their 30s, and all but Rabach have had recent injury problems.

So the Redskins drafted Rinehart and have made him a multipurpose insurance policy by working him at tackle and guard, a tough assignment for a rookie given the complex blocking assignments of a pro offense. He played both positions in the Hall of Fame game last weekend. On Saturday against Buffalo, he’ll work exclusively at left tackle, his most comfortable position, because of injuries to backups Stephon Heyer and Todd Wade.

“He’s caught everybody’s attention,” Zorn said. “And on the o-line, I think it’s hard to break into the crusty group. He’s done a really nice job earning their respect.”

Part of earning that respect comes from the extra work Rinehart put in after practices this week. While others walk to the locker room, he remains in the baking sunshine, practicing his stance and his pass-protection footwork by himself.

“Practices here are a lot more team-orientated, and you don’t get to work on technique a lot,” said Rinehart, his face soaked in sweat moments after his final solo drill. “I noticed when I wasn’t doing anything (extra), my technique started to falter a little bit, so I just need to keep working on it.”

Otherwise, Rinehart said he hasn’t been overwhelmed by the move from college to the NFL. He said it helps, from an Iowa native’s lifestyle perspective, that the Redskins are headquartered in the distant Virginia suburbs of Washington.

“I kind of like it out here. It’s a little ways away from the city,” Rinehart said. “It’s not too high-paced.”

Ideally, the Redskins hope Rinehart spends the bulk of the regular season cooling his heels on the bench while the starters remain injury-free. When the older players start to give way, whether this year or next year or the year after, Rinehart is expected to help lead the next generation of Dirtbags.

“I don’t think the adjustment’s been too great,” Rinehart said. “I’m still playing football. I take the same approach as I did to college. I just go out every day and try to get better.”

HTTR!

I'm glad we picked this guy up. One a year for the next 5 and we got the dirtbags part duex.

I love that he worked on a corn farm. He truly is corn fed.

Dont rule out Crummey and Brown yet.

At lease Crummey, I thought he did well in the HoF game.

Brown... we will have to see next year.

I think you're in the wrong forum. This one is reserved for Colt Brennan.:silly:

Seriously, though. Good article. I hope this guy can start for us in the near future. As the article pointed out, we are old on the o-line.

This wasnt about Colt Brennon...... Nahh

well damn it wasnt....

Dont rule out Crummey and Brown yet.

At lease Crummey, I thought he did well in the HoF game.

Brown... we will have to see next year.

I agree with you totally on both of these players.

Crummey was an All-American pick who simply got hurt. Think Stephon Heyer. Heyer was a much better player than he was rated by most scouts because he had a string of injuries in college and because of his slow 40 time.

Like Heyer, Crummey has had to come back from injuries (he broke his leg twice). Don't be shocked if Crummey makes the team as a backup C/G. He can play both positions and we need a backup center.

I am also a Kerry Brown fan. He is tough and he really finishes his blocks. Putting him on IR was a good move. He might turn out to be a solid OL.

Skins tackles to miss 2 weeks

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

August 6, 2008

Washington Redskins tackles Todd Wade and Stephon Heyer each will miss at least two weeks due to injuries sustained in the team's opening preseason game.

Coach Jim Zorn said Tuesday that Wade has a high ankle sprain, and Heyer has a stretched knee ligament. Both were hurt in Sunday's Hall of Fame game.

The injuries leave the Redskins thin at tackle behind starters Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels. Third-round pick Chad Rinehart, who has been working at both guard and tackle, probably will play exclusively at tackle Saturday against Buffalo.

Zorn said it would be an "ambitious" timetable to expect rookie receiver Malcolm Kelly to return in two weeks. Kelly had arthroscopic surgery Monday to remove particles from his left knee.

Archived