Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DE Situation Right or Left?

skinswin=happy

I was just on Redskins.com and the new depth chart is now available. On this they have Jason Taylor listed on the right side and Andre Carter on the left. I thought this was supposed to be the reverse. What situation do you all think is the best for the defense to be able to succeed?

We'll mix it up depending on situations.

There were a couple games last year where we flipped Carter and Daniels due to matchups.

By all accounts Demetric Evans looks great and should be able to help a lot as a run stopping end.

But it's on third down where we'll have a lot of flexibility. Evans will move inside. Then imagine Carter and Wilson lining up at end, with Marcus and Taylor behind them lining up as linebackers. A ton of zone-blitzing opportunities there, since the offense won't know who's coming.

While At training camp I never even saw Andre on the left side

I can't say Im surprised due to the fact that Taylor is weighing 244, and most LE's weigh at least 275. Carter is a little bigger at 253, and I believe he's stronger. (think back to him knocking over that detroit linman with one arm to get a safety).

I do hope this doesn't mess with the chemistry of the D line or Defense for that matter. When you talk about Bringing in Jason Taylor you have 1 changed starter. When You switch Andre Carter now you have 2.

Im no sure how this will play out against the run, but our linebackers are great. So that helps.

We will be a terror on the pass though, I can't wait to see of they can devise a scheme to get Taylor, Carter, Washington and Wilson in there at the same time.

Other notes on the Depth Chart...

Carlos Rogers listed as a starter

And Kelly Behind Thrash

Evans will be slotted up for run stopping downs; due to Daniels injury Evans can also move inside to DT (Mont shouldnt be rushes back hands are important at DT). If players like Evans, Wilson, Golston, Alexander can raise their level of play it will make it a bonus when key players come back healthy

There were a couple games last year where we flipped Carter and Daniels due to matchups.

By all accounts Demetric Evans looks great and should be able to help a lot as a run stopping end.

But it's on third down where we'll have a lot of flexibility. Evans will move inside. Then imagine Carter and Wilson lining up at end, with Marcus and Taylor behind them lining up as linebackers. A ton of zone-blitzing opportunities there, since the offense won't know who's coming.

Yeah I don't see either one of them fixed in their depth chart positions.

I just wonder if Blache will use them to their fullest potential. His track record in Chicago wasn't overly impressive, and I don't think he's known to be a real schemer like some guys.

That said, Belichick's track record in Cleveland wasn't anything to write home about, but he's done as well as anyone could ask with the Patriots. Maybe Blache has learned a thing or two. Time will tell.

Evans will be slotted up for run stopping downs; due to Daniels injury Evans can also move inside to DT (Mont shouldnt be rushes back hands are important at DT). If players like Evans, Wilson, Golston, Alexander can raise their level of play it will make it a bonus when key players come back healthy

I assume you would me 1nd 10, 2nd and short, 3rd and short type downs. WHo rides the bench? Not saying that you're wrong, because I honestly don't know and Im just trying to get ideas for how we might scheme things. But that would mean that Jason Taylor or Andre Carter would not be starting wouldn't it?

Jason is used to being moved around alot, so that will more than likely factor in to things. Also, Andre has found his stride out there and it's possible that coach may not want to mess with that. My feeling is that as things progress, they're going to be switched around some to mess with the opposing o-lines. Could be fun to watch. Though if memory serves, Coach Blache did say when Jason was first signed that he was going to get him into camp and moving some before deciding anything. Or something like that. :)

Jason is used to being moved around alot, so that will more than likely factor in to things. Also, Andre has found his stride out there and it's possible that coach may not want to mess with that. My feeling is that as things progress, they're going to be switched around some to mess with the opposing o-lines. Could be fun to watch. Though if memory serves, Coach Blache did say when Jason was first signed that he was going to get him into camp and moving some before deciding anything. Or something like that. :)

Yea that's my biggest thing...Being honest Andre hasn't always been a world beater, he's had his off years. But last year when the coaches had him in the right position, doing what he does best, he was a stud.

I wouldn't want to mess that up.

Not saying that you are wrong, but how could you possibly be so certain as to what we are going to do? I just noticed that you have a "we'll" and an "Evans will" in your statement.

It read like it was Greg Blache himself who was answering that quote. :silly:

Not saying that you are wrong, but how could you possibly be so certain as to what we are going to do? I just noticed that you have a "we'll" and an "Evans will" in your statement.

It read like it was Greg Blache himself who was answering that quote. :silly:

Haha...no I'm not an "inside source."

Should have prefaced everything with "in my opinion, based on what I've read, heard and seen, here's what we'll probably do."

I assume you would me 1nd 10, 2nd and short, 3rd and short type downs. WHo rides the bench? Not saying that you're wrong, because I honestly don't know and Im just trying to get ideas for how we might scheme things. But that would mean that Jason Taylor or Andre Carter would not be starting wouldn't it?
Good point, in Chicago Blache often allow his players to play gaps (4-3 defense), i dont know how blache will rotate the DE's, possible run stopping scheme could consist of Taylor standing weak OLB; Carter LDE while Evans assumes RDE

I could be wrong, but it seems to me from looking at the depth chart, that they are defining LDE as the DE that lines up against the opposing OL's LT... I have always called that RDE (the right side of the DL from the defense's perspective). And vice versa for the RDE. Anyways, I take this depth chart to mean Taylor will be lining up against the right tackle (backed up by Evans) and Carter will be lining up against the left tackle as usual (backed up by Wilson and eventually James).

The depth chart, released by the coaching staff and the Public Relations staff, has Taylor technically listed at DE/LB.

For Redskins.com purposes, Taylor is listed at right defensive end, which means he would go opposite the left tackle.

Probably the most important thing you can read on the depth chart is at the bottom: "Depth Chart is Unofficial." This is what the team is releasing to media, fans and other NFL teams. You can bet the team has an official depth chart that has some real differences, subtle or otherwise.

From what I can tell, we don't face any southpaws (except maybe Brees???), so the RE will be rushing the blind side each week.

The main concern i feel is in our division games, our opposing Tackles are real maulers in the running game. I think we'll be calling upon Evans a lot in the NFCE.

Here's the lineup of Tackles we'll face (when everyone's healthy....not a given).

Giants: RT Kareem McKenzie, LT David Diehl. Decent, not great.

NO: RT Jamaal Brown, LT John Stinchcomb. See above.

ARI: LT Mike Gandy, RT Levi Brown. See above.

PHI: LT William Thomas, RT John Runyan. Massive run blockers, ok in pass protect.

DAL: LT Flozell Adams, RT Marc Colombo. See above.

STL: LT Orlando Pace, RT Alex Barron. Pace is still awesome when healthy.

CLE: LT Joe Thomas, RT Kevin Shaffer. Thomas is a young stud, Shaffer's not much.

DET: LT Jeff Backus, RT George Foster. These guys suck.

PIT: LT Marvel Smith, RT Willie Colon. Better run blockers than pass protectors.

SEA: LT Walter Jones, RT Sean Locklear. Jones is a house, Locklear's ok.

BAL: LT Adam Terry, RT Marshal Yanda. Whatever. Glad Ogden's gone.

CIN: LT Levi Jones, RT Stacy Andrews. Huge and effective. Good for us they don't run much.

SF: LT Joe Staley, RT Jonas Jennings. Pretty good but not all that athletic.

From what I can tell, we don't face any southpaws (except maybe Brees???), so the RE will be rushing the blind side each week.

The main concern i feel is in our division games, our opposing Tackles are real maulers in the running game. I think we'll be calling upon Evans a lot in the NFCE.

Here's the lineup of Tackles we'll face (when everyone's healthy....not a given).

Giants: RT Kareem McKenzie, LT David Diehl. Decent, not great.

NO: RT Jamaal Brown, LT John Stinchcomb. See above.

ARI: LT Mike Gandy, RT Levi Brown. See above.

PHI: LT William Thomas, RT John Runyan. Massive run blockers, ok in pass protect.

DAL: LT Flozell Adams, RT Marc Colombo. See above.

STL: LT Orlando Pace, RT Alex Barron. Pace is still awesome when healthy.

CLE: LT Joe Thomas, RT Kevin Shaffer. Thomas is a young stud, Shaffer's not much.

DET: LT Jeff Backus, RT George Foster. These guys suck.

PIT: LT Marvel Smith, RT Willie Colon. Better run blockers than pass protectors.

SEA: LT Walter Jones, RT Sean Locklear. Jones is a house, Locklear's ok.

BAL: LT Adam Terry, RT Marshal Yanda. Whatever. Glad Ogden's gone.

CIN: LT Levi Jones, RT Stacy Andrews. Huge and effective. Good for us they don't run much.

SF: LT Joe Staley, RT Jonas Jennings. Pretty good but not all that athletic.

Really? All indications point to Jared Gaither starting to replace Ogden, but he's hurt right now with an ankle sprain. I'm not sure how athletic Jared Gaither is, but at 6'9", 350, it's a good thing we've got speed rushers that can (eventually) get around him...because that's a hard deal trying to get through a guy that size. :gus:

I honestly think they will mix the two up most of the time. You are required to put a player on the depth chart, but that doesnt mean they have to play exactly that position all of the time.

:yes: Exactly. They even said something about JT seeing a few plays at linebacker. After all, he did choose a linebacker's number.

Archived