Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Update - Samuels and Portis sitting out scrimmage, J.T. Mapu released (surgery)

SkinsMaster88

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 3:06 PM ET, 07/26/2008

Looking for Clues in Scrimmage

It's intrasquad scrimmage day at Redskins Park and, not surprisingly, the joint is packed and jumping.

The first-team offense, going against the second-team defense, opened up with a three wide-receiver set of Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El and James Thrash. Chris Samuels and Clinton Portis are sitting out the scrimmage, with Stephon Heyer in for Samuels and Rock Cartwright in for Portis. The offense drove for a touchdown on a drive on which Campbell hit Moss with a nice pass; Campbell scored on a three-yard run around left end. On another drive, he led the offense down the field and hit Todd Yoder with a 10-yard touchdown pass.

The plan was for the first-team offense to work for 25-30 reps against the second-team defense and for the second-team offense to work against the first-team defense, but it isn't quite working that way. While only Samuels and Portis were missing from the first-team offense, on defense only starters Marcus Washington, Reed Doughty and Anthony Montgomery were taking part. Newly acquired Jason Taylor obviously did not play.

Anthony Montgomery was icing his hand after the scrimmage. He had X-rays and was awaiting word on how serious the injury is, although he said it didn't believe it was too serious. He said he hurt it making a tackle. ... JReid reports that Zorn was sending plays in via a CB transmitter. (Redskins Insider would give Jim Zorn $50 if he'd say, "Breaker, breaker, good buddy...") ... In other news, a wide-open Fred Davis dropped a pass from Colt Brennan. ...A 43-yard touchdown pass from Todd Collins to Billy McMullen was wiped out by a false-start penalty. ... The scrimmage ended shortly before 3 p.m., lasting just under an hour and bedlam followed as fans swarmed around players.

The team made a move earlier in the day, releasing J.T. Mapu (he'd hurt his knee and is headed for surgery) and signing what we believe is a defensive lineman. We'll update you when we have that.

It's a really hot day (Hello! Virginia in July!) and two fans were taken away by ambulance. They appear to have suffered heat exhaustion, according to a Redskins official. About midway through the practice, a third fan was treated for what appeared to be heat-related problems.

Traffic was really snarled, both Jasons report. "Jasno" La Canfora said that, while he was stuck in traffic, he was being harrassed by another driver. He looked over and it was Capitals poohbah George McPhee. Jasno reports that people were being told to park on the grass, that some were doing U-turns and bagging it. Quoth Jasno: "It looks like Woodstock out here."

The Redskins announced that the crowd is a record 28,000, surpassing the 25,000 they drew in 2004. After today, only two more practices -- at 8:30 a.m. Sunday and Monday -- are open to the public.

Okay, today was rediculous. Thankfully my dad and I made it to the park at about 10:30 after sitting in traffic up and down loudoun county parkway. We got in line and it wasn't to bad. However, at about 10:45 floods of people, and when i saw floods i mean thousands and thousands, of people began pouring in. Busses, trucks, minivans, sions, anything, you name it it was there. We were able to get up right on the fence around the practice field, and by the time the scrimmage began, fans were wrapped completely around the practice field. The scrimmage went well and i loved the accuracy and ability to finish off a two minute drill by mr. jc. Interestingly enough for all you brennan lovers, his delivery bit him today. Because of his side arm he had 2 passes batted down. Anyways, all in all it was a great experience and i am very excited for football season to officially kick off again! Hail!

QB stats --

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2008/Jul/26/montgomery-breaks-his-hand/

Jason Campbell was 15 of 22 for 122 yards and a touchdown (a 10-yard pass to tight end Todd Yoder during red zone work). He also led the only legit scoring drive and capped it with a 2-yard scamper. Todd Collins was 8-for-13 for 52 yards and threw the only interception (cornerback Cedrick Holt). Colt Brennan was 4-for-7 for 22 yards and Derek Divine was 2 of 6 for 14 yards.

Archived