Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: As usual, the Redskins' fix simply is a rush job

Dirk Diggler

Here's a link to an article by a stats guy who concludes that last year's sack leader, Jared Allen, would add one half of a win to the Vikes this season.

Stated differently, for every percentage point increase in sack rate, a team can expect an extra 0.36 wins. Jared Allen's additional 10 sacks would improve the Vikings' sack rate from 5.0% to 6.4%. That additional 1.4% roughly translates into 0.50 additional wins for Minnesota.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2008/07/jared-allen-and-sack-rate.html

The one thing that getting Taylor doesn't solve is the issue the FO identified in the offseason: getting more push up the middle. That's a big reason why the ends haven't been able to get there, because QBs have had room to move up in the pocket. Daniels was the plan B when they couldn't find that guy in the draft. Well, now they are going to need to come up with a plan C, or hope that the tackles we have can step up. Certainly, Monty is capable of it, but he's been inconsistant.

Jason

I disagree. With Carter and Taylor coming hard from both ends all extra help is going to be focused on the ends leaving Griffin, Montgomery, et al with nothing but solo blockers. I think you are going to see a much improved push because of it.

I like Chambers, but let's not distort the truth. He reminds me of Rod Gardner. You know how many passes he dropped in the end zone at the end of the game last year. I know because it hits the radio waves pretty fast. Maybe it was the year before. Point is, he is not clutch.

Chambers is a likable guy and maybe he will do great in San Diego......but let's face it Welker was more attractive than Chambers.

Chambers is unlike Gardner because he's an exceptional athlete. He'll drop a pass and then make a circus catch on the next one.

Nice Job CurseReversed, very good rebuttal...I also agree with Mass on the difference and the Patriots philosphy..man I hope agreeing with you doesn't happen much more lol nice points though.

I think we wait and see how it all unfolds and comes together(or doesn't) I hope for the former. I guess speculation and conjecture are much more fun..well it is still the off season for a couple more weeks.

No way in hell.

They traded a low second for a 29 year-old WR with proven talent. Nothing wrong with filling gaps like that.

Sorry but 29 is just as old for a WR as 33 is for a defensive lineman. 31 is basically the drop dead date for most WRs. And Chambers "proven talent" is nowhere near Jason Taylor's.

While I don't normally agree with Daly, this is spot on. It's also sobering to know that we won't have our second rounder for the fourth time in six drafts. Statistically, that is the "sweet spot" of a draft: the best convergence of talent at fair $$ (i.e. cheap labor that is more than likely to succeed).

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/22/as-usual-the-redskins-fix-simply-is-a-rush-job/

DAN DALY: As usual, the Redskins' fix simply is a rush job

Dan Daly (Contact)

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

There's no way to injury-proof an NFL team. Not even these days, with 53 players on the active roster and another eight wannabes on the practice squad. You just put a club together as best you can and hope you get lucky, hope the torn ACLs and ruptured Achilles don't happen at the positions you're thinnest.

The Redskins have been tempting the fates with their defensive line for some time now, ignoring it year after year in the draft. After all, the Nearly Perfect Patriots routinely use high picks on D-linemen; the Giants, Cowboys and Eagles - that is, the rest of the NFC East - also pay a lot of attention to that area. The Snydermen, on the other hand, have been content to cobble together defensive fronts out of retreads, late-round draft choices and the occasional pricey free agent (e.g. Cornelius Griffin, Andre Carter).

So when Phillip Daniels, their 35-year-old strong-side end, blew out his knee on the first day of training camp, the team, naturally, had no Plan B. There was nobody in the pipeline ready to step in, the way there is in the best organizations. I mean, come on, Daniels is a solid player - not to mention a clubhouse leader - but he's no Charles Mann. His loss shouldn't send Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato scurrying to eBay in search of a replacement.

But that's how it is with the Redskins.

That's great how the Nearly Perfect Patsies run their squad. But because they focus so much attention on certain areas, they must of course tempt fate elsewhere. Because of the salary cap, every team has to leave areas exposed and hope for the best. Some do it better than others, and some are luckier than others. The Skins actually have decent depth overall despite the lack of attention to the lines. I submit that had the Patriots suffered the same injuries the Redskins had - loss of starting QB, devastation of the offensive line, and the best player on the team (pick one besides Brady) gone forever - they may not have even made the playoffs.

We didn't fortify the lines, esp the defensive line, as much as I'd have liked. But any draft where you get three players who are arguably the best in the draft at their position (WR, TE, P) is a great one to build on. You continue the process next year, or shake the trees to make something happen earlier.

As the the #2 pick, we've had four in the last five years. Its a sweet spot if you draft well with it. But swapping one for an established pro bowler doesn't send me wringing my hands with worry.

Chambers is unlike Gardner because he's an exceptional athlete. He'll drop a pass and then make a circus catch on the next one.

Are you talking about Chambers or Gardner here? :confused:

We're talking about Rod Gardner, right? #1 pick of the Redskins in 2001 and knucklehead extraordinaire?

Your description in this post fits Gardner to a T - it's exactly how I would describe him (well, I also describe him as a knucklehead :)). Great athlete, makes amazing catches, can't be counted on to catch the easy ones.

If you're describing Chambers here and saying he is the polar opposite of Gardner, then it's clear that you have Gardner confused with another player. You may want to return to your film library and undergo a further analysis. :)

Well Rod fell off after 2004, but check the stats. I only eyeballed them, but I mean for the most part their production is the same. So one guy made it look prettier. whatever.....equals same to me.

Chambers

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5499/career;_ylt=AnA1ktBKZorUCVpziQtG3ob.uLYF

Gardner

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5462/career;_ylt=AnA1ktBKZorUCVpziQtG3ob.uLYF

Are you talking about Chambers or Gardner here? :confused:

We're talking about Rod Gardner, right? #1 pick of the Redskins in 2001 and knucklehead extraordinaire?

Your description in this post fits Gardner to a T - it's exactly how I would describe him (well, I also describe him as a knucklehead :)). Great athlete, makes amazing catches, can't be counted on to catch the easy ones.

If you're describing Chambers here and saying he is the polar opposite of Gardner, then it's clear that you have Gardner confused with another player. You may want to return to your film library and undergo a further analysis. :)

He means Chambers. Chambers is the athlete. For the record

That's not the point. If he might be worth three games for us, why wasn't he worth three for Miami?

Surprisingly, sacks do not correlate to wins. I read that on NFL.com in an article about which stats coaches find important.

In any case, if a sack master makes a one game difference. That's a lot.

That one game can be important if you have a team in the top tier. If you don't, it means squat.

In our very close division, it means a lot.

Well Rod fell off after 2004, but check the stats. I only eyeballed them, but I mean for the most part their production is the same. So one guy made it look prettier. whatever.....equals same to me.

Your eyeballing isn't accurate. Try math. Chambers' production was much better. He was Miami's leading receiver.

Reporter to Norv: How was Philip better in the last six games and the playoffs?

Norv -- “He got a lot better understanding what we were doing and he was a lot quicker with the ball. He got the ball out of his hand quicker. He made great decisions. Obviously we cut down on the interceptions and we cut down on the pressure on him. And we know Chris Chambers' addition was a big plus for us. It helped every one.

The idea that one defensive player can make a two to three game difference is crapola. No way in hell. Taylor couldn't do that in his prime.

In Post #151, I linked a statistical argument that Jared Allen, who led the league in sacks last year, is likely to make a difference of 0.50 wins to the Vikes if he repeats his performance.

I did the research last year when the Poke fans were saying that Glenn and TO were not likely to decline. It may take some time but I'll find my post.

Did your post compare the decline of WRs to the decline of DEs? If it didn't, then you have more research to do.

Archived