Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: As usual, the Redskins' fix simply is a rush job

Dirk Diggler

No matter how you slice it, getting the best DE in the NFL for a 2nd and a 6th is a good deal especially, since it's our biggest need.

I'll slice it this way. We are getting a guy who HAS BEEN one of the best DEs in the NFL for the next year or two while his skills diminish, for a 2nd and a 6th, for a team that is unlikely to threaten for a Super Bowl with the talent on hand.

I'll slice it this way. We are getting a guy who HAS BEEN one of the best DEs in the NFL for the next year or two while his skills diminish, for a 2nd and a 6th, for a team that is unlikely to threaten for a Super Bowl with the talent on hand.

You would think that by now, Redskins fans (of all people) would understand that a player's production elsewhere doesn't necessarily translate perfectly when they put on the new uniform.

The talent on this team went to the playoffs last year. They also played tough against all the teams in the NFC East. So, don't tell me that they can't threaten for a Super Bowl. For goodness sakes, the Giants weren't really all that great of a team, but they got hot at the right time and made a run for it.

Jason

The talent on this team went to the playoffs last year. They also played tough against all the teams in the NFC East. So, don't tell me that they can't threaten for a Super Bowl. For goodness sakes, the Giants weren't really all that great of a team, but they got hot at the right time and made a run for it.

Jason

I used the word UNLIKELY. That doesn't mean it can't happen. We have to make decisions based on probability since we can't see the future.

Look at his stats from the last couple of seasons and then be sure to take "HAS BEEN" out of your sentence. He has the most sacks out of any DE in the NFL since 2000.

He may be nearing the end of his career but he's still very productive. Look what Michael Strahan's pass-rushing ability did for the Giants last season and take into consideration that Jason Taylor is younger and a better pass-rusher.

I used the word UNLIKELY. That doesn't mean it can't happen. We have to make decisions based on probability since we can't see the future.

But why is it unlikely? Even with all the injuries and the struggles the offense had, we made the playoffs last year. How are our chances worse now with those players being healthy and the additional players who have been added to this team with few losses? While I admit that Zorn is a wild card in all of this, it is hard to say that our chances are worse with him than they were with Gibbs.

Jason

Look at his stats from the last couple of seasons and then be sure to take "HAS BEEN" out of your sentence. He has the most sacks out of any DE in the NFL since 2000.

He may be nearing the end of his career but he's still very productive. Look what Michael Strahan's pass-rushing ability did for the Giants last season and take into consideration that Jason Taylor is younger and a better pass-rusher.

A couple of posters in this thread think JT could make a three game difference. That would be huge if he was in his prime (Miami won one last year).

The only DE of that caliber to come out in recent draft years is Jared Allen and he was a 4th-round pick that has played way over his expectations.

We could have had Jared Allen with the third we traded for Brunell. Sure, we could have blown the pick too, but you never know if you trade them away.

But why is it unlikely? Even with all the injuries and the struggles the offense had, we made the playoffs last year. How are our chances worse now with those players being healthy and the additional players who have been added to this team with few losses? While I admit that Zorn is a wild card in all of this, it is hard to say that our chances are worse with him than they were with Gibbs.

Jason

50-1 in Vegas last I checked. That's unlikey.

I'm not worried about Zorn. He'll do fine.

Blache worries me some. I thought Gregg was top notch.

I have QB, O line and DB worries at the top of my list.

But you don't trade away draft picks for vets when you're a 50-1 shot.

There are always teams out there who have their blind spots. I mean, let's talk about Philly and Wide Receivers. They probably haven't drafted a great one since Mike Quick.

Even before Snyder we weren't that great at drafting DL. Casserly didn't really like drafting DTs (There is a big gap between Bobby Wilson and Delbert Cowsette) and most of the DEs he drafted didn't turn out.

Jason

Sure, and that will always be the case, but, the larger question is 'where do great teams tend to NOT have blind or weak spots?'

And that is what the article was getting at. The better teams tend to have better lines and put more emphasis on them. We've all heard the argument many times; you build a defense from front to back. That's not what we do and we were lucky Taylor was available.

:cheers:

50-1 in Vegas last I checked. That's unlikey.

I'm not worried about Zorn. He'll do fine.

Blache worries me some. I thought Gregg was top notch.

I have O line and DB worries at the top of my list.

But you don't trade away draft picks for vets when you're a 50-1 shot.

I wonder what the oddsmakers had for the Giants last year at this time? I doubt it was much different. Also, looking at the success rate of preseason predictions, I wouldn't exactly put my money on it.

Jason

I wonder what the oddsmakers had for the Giants last year at this time? I doubt it was much different. Also, looking at the success rate of preseason predictions, I wouldn't exactly put my money on it.

Jason

You have to base decisions on something. Probability is all you have.

Frankly, I think it's a dumb move even for teams like San Diego who is talent-rich, but has the Colts and Pats in their way. It would be tempting to trade picks for vets in their situation, but I still wouldn't do it. I'd try to prolong my window by staying young as long as possible.

But, who knows the probabilities best? A guy sitting in Vegas writing up odds, or the guys on the team who sees players day in and day out? Anyways, odds are adjusted based on how much is being placed on one side or another.

Frankly, I think it's a dumb move even for teams like San Diego who is talent-rich, but has the Colts and Pats in their way. It would be tempting to trade picks for vets in their situation, but I still wouldn't do it. I'd try to prolong my window by staying young as long as possible.

Course, if you wait too long you'll see the opportunities pass you by, especially when you are waiting for those draft picks to develop.

If I felt like we were overmatched by the best teams in the NFC, I might agree with you. Instead, we either beat or played tough against some of the best teams in our conference. To say we can't be competitive is really ignoring what we did last season.

Jason

But, who knows the probabilities best? A guy sitting in Vegas writing up odds, or the guys on the team who sees players day in and day out? Anyways, odds are adjusted based on how much is being placed on one side or another.

The Vegas odds are an objective source. We have no idea what Dan and Vinny think the odds are, but it would surprise me if the true odds were much less. 30-1 still qualifies as "unlikely."

If I felt like we were overmatched by the best teams in the NFC, I might agree with you. Instead, we either beat or played tough against some of the best teams in our conference. To say we can't be competitive is really ignoring what we did last season.

I didn't say we can't be "competitive." I have us figured for 7-8 wins, but luck is a big factor in a 16 game season.

continuity in personell ala returning all starters....check

" " in coaching ala Buges and Blache...... check

add 11 hungry draft picks......check

add a younger than Bruce Smith all pro.......check

shop wisely and not overspending in FA ( Erasmus James).......check

doing everything you can do in 1 year to help your team.......check

pleasing oldfan.......never.:laugh:

We traded for JASON TAYLOR, do some of you actually watch football? We got one of the 5 best freakin' DE's in the entire league. Did Green Bay give a crap about how old Reggie White was when they won a Super Bowl, did the Giants cry about Strahan's age while they were holding a trophy up last year? I think we could possibly have the type of season the Rams had when they came out of nowhere and became the greatest show on turf. Quit freaking out, enjoy the season, and realize that it is a game and instead of always being pissed for some reason or another rejoice in the fact that it is FOOTBALL SEASON again.

The Vegas odds are an objective source. We have no idea what Dan and Vinny think the odds are, but it would surprise me if the true odds were much less. 30-1 still qualifies as "unlikely."

Well, I'm looking at the line on Vegas.com, and they have the Skins at 30-1. But, they lose all my respect with the Bears listed as 18-1. Sorry, you can't tell me that the Bears are more likely to win the Superbowl than the Redskins.

Jason

I could see the skins getting a corner, olineman, and dlineman with two 2nd rnd picks (trade down) and the third rnd pick, then a backer in free agency. Skins have a lot of positions to fill to get young again. It won't happen in one year.

Well, I'm looking at the line on Vegas.com, and they have the Skins at 30-1. But, they lose all my respect with the Bears listed as 18-1. Sorry, you can't tell me that the Bears are more likely to win the Superbowl than the Redskins.

Jason

I'm pretty high on our chances this season, but Chicago did just represent the NFC in the Super Bowl two seasons ago...

So, let me get this straight. You think a DE can possibly make a 3 game difference, and a QB can make a six game difference. So, what are the other 20 guys worth? Chopped liver?

Brady is an exception, he might be the best QB EVER. I hate the guy and the Pats, but he is what he is.

Now back to the question about Jason Taylor....

You know how I feel about Defense and how I feel about line play. If you replace your weakest link (Daneils) which happens to be in the most important part of the defence (D-Line) with a guy who is the best player at that position in the NFL over the last 8 years? Bearing in mind that we lost a ton of close games last year and were very competive in most. Also bear in mind that while we had a good defence overall but were average in sacks and pass defence and Jason Taylor is the active sack leader and 2 years removed from Defensive Player of the Year on a HORRIBLE team happens to be a guy that can really help that part of our defence and also help out our league ranking of 27th for getting teams off the field on 3rd down?

Damn right I do. 3 games.

...and also help out our league ranking of 27th for getting teams off the field on 3rd down?

While I agree with your overall premise, I'll remind you that the Skins D was 6th in the league last year in 3rd down % :).

Archived