Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Cambell has a quicker throwing motion?

coldpacker

I didn't notice a night and day difference, but maybe a tad bit faster. I will say this though. On the first pass of the video, he looks like Brunell with his happy feet.

Nimble feet are a good thing. Guys that stand completely still in the pocket can't make much happen when a play breaks down. You can still move around in the pocket if you need to, but you can also plant and throw. I'm sure Zorn is teaching him to plant coming out of moving his feet. Zorn strikes me as being very thorough as far as mechanics are concerned. Heck, one of the first reports I heard on him during his tenure here as head coach was the fact that he was trying to get Casey Rabach's backside a few inches higher so he could get a higher snap off to Campbell and allow the guy to get into throwing position more quickly. I found this rather funny, actually. I like Zorn's detailed approach on mechanics. I think that's his greatest strength and the fact that he has spent all of his coaching time at the NFL level as a positions coach. Coordinators and Head Coaches seem to manage and delegate responsibilities, but Zorn is very hands-on, especially with the quarterbacks...which makes sense, seeing as he was not only a QBs coach, but a QB himself.

I just hope he's not slapping the ball with his free hand like Ramsey used to do when he was dropping back. And I'm sure Zorn's teaching him to keep mobile right until when you thro

That was only half the problem though. He's going to have to bring his short/intermediate passes DOWN if this offense is going to work. I think he can, and I think he will. But we need to be looking at that too.

From what I saw in camp yesterday, his throws looked pretty low. Almost too flat/low if you ask me, but it's tough to say without two teams in pads really going at it.

Another thing I noticed when I got home and looked at the pictures I took, is that Jason looks like he's standing taller behind the center, which is probably a good thing.

You can see it clearly in the picture of him here. (You have to scroll down, it's the 6th photo.)

watched the 2 minute training camp video with zorn and JC on nfl.com. and it looks like JC's throwing motion is quicker. but i looks like theres still a kink at the end of his windup (granted it is quicker). its like he pauses there for a split second. and his feet are pretty extended. maybe thats just his long stride or something. but i thought zorn was working to shorten his stance too.

JC is the Key to us having a Very Very good year. It's on Zorn to teach him how to be great, he was the QB coach for the hawks, and was even a QB him self. If JC improves on his natural abilities then it may be a superbowl year. O and look, just like you guys are saying he is already improving. We are defenetly on the right track, is it all going to come to gether this year?? Things are looking good to me!

Go skins

I definately noticed some different mechanics.

Ball is flat, I will give him that, but it is the first day of training camp. Lets hope can get it up...uh...you know raise it...uh...you know....start throwing his ball high-GOD DAMMIT!

And the double entendres will never cease. You'd better crawl into a hole for a couple of days until this blows over. :laugh:

he's got Jason bending his knees more as well. That should help with bringing hte ball down abit, as well as putting him in a better position to avoid a rush, and to hang on to the ball if he does get hit. The jury is out on Zorn as a HC but Zorn as a QB coach is a known commodity. He's a very good one and I think JC is going to be a very, very good QB in a couple years.

Forgot where I read it (NFL.com or ESPN) but they mentioned Zorn having JC playing a little lower (knees bent) and with better mechanics for the WCO. When I think of WCO, I just think of Young and Montana's mechanics (ball high, deliberate footwork, release, etc). NOW, I AM NOT COMPARING JC TO MONTANA OR YOUNG, but with Joe, I would like to base my mechanics on him.

His original wind up doesn't work well with the WCO, so it's pretty impressive that people are already noticing some differences.

His release probably is quicker.

I noticed in the first pics murf posted from minicamp that Zorn has him holding the ball up higher -- at his shoulder instead of at his midsection. That'll definitely speed things up a little bit.

That was only half the problem though. He's going to have to bring his short/intermediate passes DOWN if this offense is going to work. I think he can, and I think he will. But we need to be looking at that too.

I agree. If he can improve accuracy by bringing the passes down just a little that would be great.

Archived