Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny on Redskins Nightly News

tml6157

Listening to the Redskins Nightly News today and Vinny was asked what position do we need to upgrade and he said LB. So let me ask you my friends...who do you think we will pick up or do you think we will stay as is. His answer was that we need to see if the young guys stick or if we need help as they evaluate everyone the first week of camp. So who do you think, if anyone, will we bring in?

He didnt say UPGRADE, He was asked (by fanmail i think) if there was any posistion on the team that he thought we needed more DEPTH at , and he said they would be keeping their eyes on LBs in that reguard.

That's it in a nutshell. Vinny seems to be happy with the roster, but there is always room for improvement and Vinny and his team are going to be looking at everyone who comes available to see if they can help this team better than what we already have.

More than likely, whoever we pick up is probably going to be someone who is currently on someone else's roster.

Jason

TKO Takeo Spikes played well last year. The way the skins run there defense I think Spikes would be a reliable backup/Starter. Even though people say he's slow because of injury, philly fans were surprised the eagles FO let him go. He'll be cheap too.

TKO Takeo Spikes played well last year. The way the skins run there defense I think Spikes would be a reliable backup/Starter. Even though people say he's slow because of injury' date=' philly fans were surprised the eagles FO let him go. He'll be cheap too.[/quote']

Not so fast on the idea that he'll be cheap:

Spikes' asking price too high for 49ers

Veteran free-agent linebacker Takeo Spikes, who visited the 49ers on March 13, is seeking a contract that will pay him $2.5 million annually, a league source said

Takeo Spikes - Spikes holding out for more cash

A handful of teams have made Takeo Spikes offers, but the veteran wants more money, according to the Sacramento Bee. It appears that Spikes is willing to wait it out and hope a team in need of linebacking help eventually gives him what he wants.

I agree, though, that if cost effective he would be a really good pickup. Also, having intel on the opposition is never a bad thing.

Before the draft he said we needed to upgrade not the DE position but the defensive Tackle position. What happened there?

Weak DT class in this year's draft. Not to mention trading for one of the available veteran DTs this offseason and paying one of them $20+ million guranteed would have gone against everything the new Cerrato era stands for.

He said we need more depth at LB, not an up grade. Hopefully rocky will come back healthy and washington can stay healthy. They are a big deal in how are D is this year. I'm not worried about fletch, he is the man and can still have a good shot at making the probowl at his age. If spikes is a good price I say take him though, depth is good.

Go Skins

Vinny wrong again, our Dline is screaming for help and his answer is LB. HEY VINNY U SUCK!!!

no, youre wrong, vinny is right on this. we got a bunch of young guys competing on the dline. our linebacker group is very thin. fletcher is a rock, washington forgot how to stay healthy, mcintosh returning from major knee injury, hb blades shows great promise but lacks experience, after that its guys who werent drafted or were practice squad players last year. we need to draft a first day LB next year...

Before the draft he said we needed to upgrade not the DE position but the defensive Tackle position. What happened there?

Lots of people say lots of things before the draft. The key is to not believe any of it. If Vinny had told the whole world, "we plan to go heavy on pass catchers early in the draft," that would have been dumb.

no, youre wrong, vinny is right on this. we got a bunch of young guys competing on the dline. our linebacker group is very thin. fletcher is a rock, washington forgot how to stay healthy, mcintosh returning from major knee injury, hb blades shows great promise but lacks experience, after that its guys who werent drafted or were practice squad players last year. we need to draft a first day LB next year...
Agree. And to be honest, I'd probably worry about CB help next.

Our DL isn't littered with Pro Bowl guys by any means, but we got 3 solid guys at DT in Monty, Griff, and Golston, and at DE, Daniels is still very effective against the run despite his age, Carter is a play or two from playing in Hawaii, and Wilson and Evans are both younger guys who've both got decent playing time last year and get glowing reviews from the coaches.

Again, not a great line, but one that does enjoy more depth than LB and certainly more depth than CB. Remember folks, Rogers is out the first few games, during which we have to play all 3 of our division rivals on the road. God forbid if Springs goes down, we'd be so effed. Our nickel package would feature Fred Smoot, Justin Tryon and Leigh Torrence.

With those corners, make no mistake, we don't want Dallas!

Lots of people say lots of things before the draft. The key is to not believe any of it. If Vinny had told the whole world, "we plan to go heavy on pass catchers early in the draft," that would have been dumb.

I actually think Vinny has been a straight shooter about how he's building the team. I heard him on RNN saying we'd take WR in round 2 long before the draft. He is obviously a firm believer in the best-player-available approach to the draft (how else do you explain the Fred Davis pick?), so we were clearly casting a wide net. LB depth is an obvious need.

Weak DT class in this year's draft. Not to mention trading for one of the available veteran DTs this offseason and paying one of them $20+ million guranteed would have gone against everything the new Cerrato era stands for.

Zorn said there were two defensive players we targeted who were taken one pick before us. I think Trevor Laws was one of those picks. He's that penetrating 3-technique DT that would have been a good value in round 2. So I think bad luck was a factor as well in why we didn't address DL this offseason.

Shhhhh, logic has no place in this discussion.

Zorn said there were two defensive players we targeted who were taken one pick before us. I think Trevor Laws was one of those picks. He's that penetrating 3-technique DT that would have been a good value in round 2. So I think bad luck was a factor as well in why we didn't address DL this offseason.

Good call. They stayed true to their board and that's all I ask of our team come draft day. Hopefully next year we'll get the chance to address these other areas of need. I'm ready to go to war today with the team we got.

Archived