Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuters: FCC Seeks to punish Comcast in Internet Probe

Goaldeje

Click Link for More:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUKBNG1334420080711

The head of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said on Thursday he will recommend that Comcast Corp (CMCSA.O: Quote, Profile, Research) be punished for violating agency principles that guarantee customers open access to the Internet, The Associated Press reported.

Comcast, the second largest U.S. Internet service provider, has been accused of blocking some Web traffic via services such as file-sharing applications like the popular BitTorrent used by consumers to share large media files.

Comcast has "arbitrarily" blocked Internet access, regardless of the level of traffic, and failed to disclose to consumers that it was doing so, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin told the news service.

Comcast has denied it blocks individual traffic and said the use of network management is essential to avoid congestion and impairment of online video applications like Veoh or voice-over-Internet Protocol services like Vonage.

Martin will circulate an order recommending enforcement action against the company on Friday among his fellow commissioners, who will vote on the measure at an open meeting on Aug. 1, the news agency said.

The order follows an FCC investigation prompted by complaints about Comcast by Internet advocacy group Free Press and digital media company Vuze Inc.

Click Link for More:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUKBNG1334420080711

Is this the same thing as "Fair Usage"?

Since I now live in the country, I had to get a HughesNet satelite for my highspeed internet, and I just found out that on my plan, I am limited to 200 MGs download per day under their "Fair Usage" policy, which also counts if I go onto say YouTube and open a video, as it opens that also counts the same as if I am downloading a file

:thud:

And if I exceed the limit, it will slow down my internet speed for 24 hours or longer. The only way I can get by this is to download stuff between 3 and 6 AM EST, when they do not count it against me.

Hopefully the FCC can do something about that too

Update

Okay, I just got off the phone with HughesNet tech support, which wasn't in the US by the way, but India

I was told that not only would downloading files and opening videos count against me, but also if I just open a page like MSN.com, things like all the pictures opening and even videos that open by themselves that come on that I can't control and even streaming internet radio counts against my daily usage as well

That's BULL:pooh:!!!!

Does anyone live near to Germantown, Maryland, specially the HughesNet Work Systems offices? If so I would like to find their e-mail address. The tech guy on the phone (the one in India) gave me a snail mail address, but I want something faster

They have a website at customercare.myhughesnet.com, but the stupid damn thing is down right now, go figure

Well, getting back to the subject at hand and not talk about other's penises, here is something from today's NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/12/technology/12comcast.html?th&emc=th

F.C.C. Chief Would Bar Comcast From Imposing Web Restrictions

By SAUL HANSELL

Published: July 12, 2008

Federal regulators are prepared to take action against sellers of Internet access that want to restrict what their customers can do online.

Kevin J. Martin, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, said Friday that Comcast, the nation’s largest cable company, should be sanctioned because it had interfered with the Internet connections of users who were exchanging files with other people.

Mr. Martin’s recommendation is a strong push for network neutrality, the idea that Internet access providers like Comcast should not be allowed to favor some uses of their networks over others. Internet companies like Google and free speech advocates have backed this approach.

The cable and phone companies that provide most of the nation’s Internet service have argued that such rules were not needed. They have said that they should be free to run their networks as they see fit, and that there had been no cases of problems with such discrimination.

Comcast’s practice of slowing the use of BitTorrent, a method of trading video, music and software files, provides such a case. The practice was intended to prevent frequent file-swappers from clogging up the company’s network.

***Click link at top for full article***

Note: You must sign up for the NYTimes free service to read whole article

Archived