Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions about flying overseas?

SkinsOrlando

What's your personality type?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What's your personality type?

Ok, so I have a couple questions about flying overseas. I've only flown to Canada and Mexico and all that was needed was a passport. But if I were to say fly to Italy, Germany, Ukraine, Moscow, or somewhere over in Europe, maybe even Japan or Israel would I need a Visa of some sort?? I'd like to take a trip to somwehere I've never been in a couple months to recharge my batteries. If I do need a visa, does anyone know how long that process takes?

And I give this thread 2 replies before I start getting my balls busted.

From this website:

Countries requiring visas for U.S. citizens

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verdi, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Congo, Croatia, Djibouti, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Kyrgyz, Kuwait, Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea,Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Trinidad, Tobago, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Yugoslavia, Zaire & Zambia

Countries that do not require visas for U.S. Citizens

Albania, Antigua, Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados (Tourist Only), Barbuda, Bermuda, Belgium, Belize, Bosnia, Botswana, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Herzegovina, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Malaysia, Morocco, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Serbia,Romania, St. Lucia, Saint Vincent, Senegal, Singapore. Slovak, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Western Samoa & Zimbabwe(visa granted on arrival)

Oh, and go EARLY for your visa. Some countries' visa processes can take a long time to go through.

I recall waiting about a month for my South Korea visa, and that's not even one of the 10 longest visa waits by country.

No problem, and have fun!

It's always a good idea to visit the country's own Immigration/etc. department website well in advance of your trip, to make sure you have everything lined up for your visit. A good travel agent can help, too.

Funny you should ask, I'm in the Philippines right now! I can't get email but I can get ES which is pretty hilarious.

Anyway, looks like someone helped you out already, but you don't need a VISA for EU countries...I think. Eastern European and other countries you will need to get a VISA I'm pretty sure. I'd call the consulate of the country you are visiting if it's outside the EU and ask what's required. Keep in mind there might be vaccinations you need to get before travelling, depending on the region you're going.

Oh yeah, and get an Rx of Ambien if you want to knock out some time on your flight. I was only awake for about 3 hours of my flight to Tokyo...it was awesome! :laugh:

Yeah ... check mjah's list. I don't think there's a country in Western Europe that needs a visa but the old Soviet Union varies by country.

BTW, Moscow isn't a country. It's in Russia. :)

Both Russia and Ukraine require US visitors to have visas.

As an American, getting a VISA for another country is easy, straight forward and usually does not take too long. Some VISAs I have gotten in 24 hours, some have taken 3-4 days. But then again, I live in DC so getting one is easier - I just go to the embassy or consulate and drop off the forms.

Some countries you can get the VISA when you land in the country. In Cambodia I landed and they just asked for $20 and a picture. They were not too strict. Hahaha.

Most countries in the world want US citizen to come and spend money, and there is little fear you will not want to go back home. So getting one is pretty simple for us.

I just came back from Peru in March and I don't remember having a VISA. I was with my wife who is a Peruvian citizen, does that make a difference?

Yeah, I think that makes a difference...I think. Half my department when to Peru, half went to the Philippines and we all had to get VISA's for both countries. But we are staying for over 21 days, so I think that's why we had to get VISA's.

Noticed Jamaica was on that list MJ posted, but when we went there last year we didnt need a visa, just our passports. And the travel agent has said nothing about visas to us when we booked to go again this year in november.

Do visas have something to do with how long you are staying in said country?

Noticed Jamaica was on that list MJ posted, but when we went there last year we didnt need a visa, just our passports. And the travel agent has said nothing about visas to us when we booked to go again this year in november.

Do visas have something to do with how long you are staying in said country?

Often that's the case if it's beyond what a normal tourist trip would cover.

Archived