Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Superbowl Trophies

josh4eva

:laugh:

This is a thread you won't see on the eagles' board.

:D

Sure you will, but the conversation will look like this....

"I went to Washington to watch our Eagles lose to he Redskins, well I went into Redskins Park and saw these 3 silver things with a silver football on top. Not sure what they were, but every time I got near them I started to choke."

:laugh:

This is a thread you won't see on the eagles' board.

:D

Sure you will, but the conversation will look like this....

"I went to Washington to watch our Eagles lose to he Redskins, well I went into Redskins Park and saw these 3 silver things with a silver football on top. Not sure what they were, but every time I got near them I started to choke."

Thanks, I needed that laugh. :cheers: :laugh: :eaglesuck

C'mon guys. Everybody remembers that Norm Van Brocklin championship team of 1960 when the Iggles played at Franklin Field right?

Not!

At least the Iggle fans have their Halace trophies to hold up to the rest of the NFCE's Lombardi's. LOL!

No offense to anyone on this board, but there was NFL football long before the Super Bowl.

The Redskins played in 5 NFL title games, and won 2 Championships. But no one says we are 5 time NFL Champions. Same as the Steelers, same as the 49ers, same as the Cowboys. We have been in 10 title games. If you are the packers do you discount all of Lombardi's NFL titles. He only won 2 Super Bowls, but he won a bunch more NFL titles. They named the Super Trophy after him not for him winning the Super Bowl but for him winning NFL titles. (Because it wasn't called the Super Bowl when he won his championships, here is a tidbit for you guys, they didn't call it the Super Bowl until the Jets played the Dolphins, before that it was just the NFL AFL Championship game so technically the first two official Super Bowl Champions aren't even Super Bowl Champions). Does that mean he never did anything because he didn't win a Super Bowl? The history of the NFL goes back farther than 1965. We are celebrating 75 years of the Skins but for some reason we only really care about the last 43 years.

The Giants, Packers, Lions, Redskins, Eagles, Bears, Browns, Rams and Colts all deserve credit for NFL titles.

... they didn't call it the Super Bowl until the Jets played the Dolphins, before that it was just the NFL AFL Championship game so technically the first two official Super Bowl Champions aren't even Super Bowl Champions).

You mean the Jets and Colts in Super Bowl III, when Don Shula coached the Colts.

But I agree with you on recognizing all of the NFL titles: pre-merger and Super Bowl era. The Skins fly five flags at FedEx Field to honor the five championship seasons (1937, 1942, 1982, 1987 and 1991).

If Washington can't state 5 time NFL champions, then I don't want to hear about the Yankees 26 World Series titles, as 20 of them occured prior to 1970. No offense meant towards any sane Yankee fans on this board. The loud-mouth types living around here who used to wear "1918" shirts now wear "Got Rings?" shirts. Dallas has a "Got Rings?" shirt as well. How about a "Got Postseason Wins since 1996?" shirt for Dallas?

No offense to anyone on this board, but there was NFL football long before the Super Bowl.

The Redskins played in 5 NFL title games, and won 2 Championships. But no one says we are 5 time NFL Champions. Same as the Steelers, same as the 49ers, same as the Cowboys. We have been in 10 title games. If you are the packers do you discount all of Lombardi's NFL titles. He only won 2 Super Bowls, but he won a bunch more NFL titles. They named the Super Trophy after him not for him winning the Super Bowl but for him winning NFL titles. (Because it wasn't called the Super Bowl when he won his championships, here is a tidbit for you guys, they didn't call it the Super Bowl until the Jets played the Dolphins, before that it was just the NFL AFL Championship game so technically the first two official Super Bowl Champions aren't even Super Bowl Champions). Does that mean he never did anything because he didn't win a Super Bowl? The history of the NFL goes back farther than 1965. We are celebrating 75 years of the Skins but for some reason we only really care about the last 43 years.

The Giants, Packers, Lions, Redskins, Eagles, Bears, Browns, Rams and Colts all deserve credit for NFL titles.

Don't forget the playoff appearance in 1936 when we were the Boston Redskins. That would make it 6 NFL title games and 11 Title games.

We should display our Ed Thorp Memorial Trophies alongside the 3 Vince Lombardi Trophies. (Named for Redskins Head Coach Vince Lombardi)

I think one of the Thorp Trophies is missing.

Sadly for the Philadelphia Eagles, their championship in 1960 coincided with the first AFL championship game won by the Houston Oilers. No "World's Champion" that year. Sorry eagles fans.

Can the Redskins be called "5 Time World's Champions"? Yes. Just look at the old photos.

I wonder if there were any Championship rings issued in the years prior to the "First Superbowl"?

Where do they Keep the Superbowl Trophies, i remember when i was a kid they had them at the games for people to come up and take pics with, but all last year i didnt see em, whats up!!!

In the Hall of Fame Store at the stadium....no j/k, they are in Ashburn.

Sorry got caught up in the numbers and mistyped that the Jets played the Dolphins. It was the Jets and Colts.

Here is another interesting story. I read way back when, they were cleaning out the old Redskin Park in Chantilly, preparing for the move to Ashburn and in an empty office in a box they found the 1937 NFL title trophy. It was damaged in a box. They had it restored and I do believe it is on display at the new Park in Ashburn. At the time they couldn't find the other trophy from that era and they put out a message saying anyone have information on it's whereabouts to please contact the Skins. At this point everything counts. I saw a Super Bowl special one time and they were talking about trying to promote the game between the Colts and Jets and this guy said those super balls were popular kids toys at the time and he just came up with Super Bowl.

Archived