Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Superbowl Trophies

josh4eva

The first time I ever saw the trophies up close was in 1999 I think it was. I was working for a telecom company who was doing the phone and internet at Redskins park. I begged and begged them to let me do a site visit even though I didn't have any reason to do one. But they finally let me go to shut me up. I walked into the front door and coming out was Irving Fryar, I held the door open for him and he said thanks man. I stopped as a person was walking past, it was Norv Turner who was head coach at the time. To side of the front desk in a glass case were the 3 Lombardi's and the 1937 NFL title trophy. I stopped and just gazed for a minute. Later I was going through the locker room and Norv was giving an interview for something like ESPN, he was sitting on a stool with a backdrop and lights, the interviewer was across from him. I need to get to the back of the locker room so I was tip toeing behind them. I watched everything on ESPN for months trying to see if you could see me in the background. I got to go through the equipment room where it is like a sporting good store. Shoes in boxes piled to the ceiling, jersies, socks, everything. I also go to go on the roof.

Side note, I played on a soccer team for years that plays at the old Redskins park. Everytime I went there to play I just thought to myself, damn this is where Joey T, Riggo, the fun bunch, pearl harbor crew, Sonny, Billy, Deacon, Diron, Darrell, Dexter and all the guys practiced. This is where they got ready for Super Bowls and Cowboys. It was pretty cool to play on the same site as them.

Sorry got caught up in the numbers and mistyped that the Jets played the Dolphins. It was the Jets and Colts.

Here is another interesting story. I read way back when, they were cleaning out the old Redskin Park in Chantilly, preparing for the move to Ashburn and in an empty office in a box they found the 1937 NFL title trophy. It was damaged in a box. They had it restored and I do believe it is on display at the new Park in Ashburn. At the time they couldn't find the other trophy from that era and they put out a message saying anyone have information on it's whereabouts to please contact the Skins. At this point everything counts. I saw a Super Bowl special one time and they were talking about trying to promote the game between the Colts and Jets and this guy said those super balls were popular kids toys at the time and he just came up with Super Bowl.

Close, but here is the real story:

The AFL-NFL World Championship Game has been known as the Super Bowl from its inception 1967, according to Super Bowl History. The Title was coined effortlessly one day when Lamar Hunt, architect of the AFL, came across his daughter's 'Super Ball' . "Why not," he wondered, "call our championship game the Super Bowl?"

The Super Bowl was created as part of the merger agreement between the National Football League (NFL) and its rival, the American Football League (AFL). After its inception in 1920, the NFL fended off several rival leagues before the AFL began play in 1960. The intense competitive war for players and fans led to serious merger talks between the two leagues in 1966 (See AFL-NFL Merger for more information).

One of the conditions of the agreement was that the winners of each league's championship game would meet in a contest to determine the "world champion of football". During the discussions to iron out the details, AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt had jokingly referred to the proposed interleague championship as the "Super Bowl." Hunt thought of the name after seeing his daughter playing with a toy called a Super Ball. The ball is now on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The name was feasible because postseason college football games had long been known as "bowl games" (The term originates with the Rose Bowl game, which was in turn named for the bowl-shaped stadium in which it is played). Hunt only meant his suggested name to be a stopgap until a better one could be found. Not having thought of one, the owners named the contest the NFL-AFL World Championship Game. Unsurprisingly, fans and media tended to use the shorter, unofficial name. Starting with the third contest in 1969, the name "Super Bowl" became official.

If you guys want to see the very first super bowel trophy, its right here in DC. If you walk into the Lombardi Cancer center at GTOWN University hospital its right in the main lobby...since were on the trophy kick right now..

Thanks never knew that

Archived