Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All-Star/ Pro Bowl Voting in General

RedskinNutt

Ok, ran a search to see if this was mentioned previously, couldn't find anything, so hopefully I don't get punished by the thread police.

Not a big baseball fan, but I heard the MLB All-Star voting results and wanted to get your thoughts on All-Star/Pro Bowl voting, what's good, what's bad, etc.

My thoughts, I'm not a fan of allowing the fans to have as strong an influence as some sports give them.

For the most part, these games mean nothing (except for the MLB game), so having the stars of the leagues participating in this game is a treat to the fans. I'm thinking from an athlete's POV...you bust your tail and work hard all season to be the "best", and feel that you will get rewarded for it. Unfortunately, because the Mariners need a representative or because more people know Junior Seau, you get snubbed.

I can see both sides, but I lean toward the voting being divided...1 part GMs, 1 part players, 1 part fans. That way, fans DO participate, and you get a good representation of the stars of the league, established and up and comers.

Thoughts?

Don't allow votes to come from outside of North America.

I disagree. Sure Yao Ming in the NBA, but in baseball, it's not a big deal.

You're always going to have voting issues. Look at the American League starters.

David Ortiz? He's hitting .252, and has been hurt for a month. No way he should be an all star. That can be corrected by not having a vote on the ballot for DH. He's actually better than the other scrubs on the ballot. Frank Thomas, Travis Hafner, etc

As you all know, I'm one of the biggest Yankee fans around, but Derek Jeter shouldn't be anywhere near the all star game, let alone starting it.

.281, 4, 37 is pedestrian. Michael Young should be starting for the AL.

And its not just the starters either. The reserves are a joke as well. That you can't blame on the fans. That stupid rule that every team needs to be represented has to go. This isn't Little League......

Don't allow votes to come from outside of North America.

I'd say the opposite, don't allow votes from the cities that have teams in the All star game. I can remeber seeing a TV clip of Orioles fans stuffing the ballot box for O's players when the game was being played in Baltimore. Same thing for the Cubs, Astros and probably too many more games to count.

Very simple solution, keep voting the way it is, but have the manager decide the final starting lineups while ignoring the fan votes. Then after the starting line up has been decided, go to vote totals for the resereves. This makes even more sense for baseball since the game decides who gets 4 home games in the WS. Why should a manager be forced to start a Yankee because they get more exposer than the more deserving Devil Ray player?

David Ortiz? He's hitting .252, and has been hurt for a month. No way he should be an all star. That can be corrected by not having a vote on the ballot for DH. He's actually better than the other scrubs on the ballot. Frank Thomas, Travis Hafner, etc

And its not just the starters either. The reserves are a joke as well. That you can't blame on the fans. That stupid rule that every team needs to be represented has to go. This isn't Little League......

apparently the players voted in Jason Varitek, despite the fact he's hitting .219, with a barely above .300 obp, 7hrs, 35rbi's

that can't be justified

apparently the players voted in Jason Varitek, despite the fact he's hitting .219, with a barely above .300 obp, 7hrs, 35rbi's

that can't be justified

Damnit, thats who I forgot. I know that the AL catchers aren't that good, but Varitek has been awful.

Archived