Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A philosophical question for you

SUSkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

but if you walk away you're letting TEN people die, that will be on your conscience too
I argued that they were going to die anyway.

The whole point of the question was about Utility, which measures happiness. So the argument came down to my utility versus the utility of the combined 10 people.

I wouldn't trust the warlord's promise to begin with, so i would not kill anyone.

Agreed,if I shot anyone it would be him and as many of the ****s with him as possible...depending on if I felt like dying that day.

Perhaps if one of the captives requested it,I would execute them.

Threre is no way in hell would ever take a Warlord at his word...especially in this type of situation.

I would continue walking and hope that when I am out of earshot range, I can call for help on the walkie talkie I take with me with I've been to Africa...it has incredible range! Hell, they're pretty in tune with cell phones as well these days....

I think this is in part the Hitler argument as much as the argument you presented. Adding the assumption that this warlord is a monster, which seems reasonable given your set-up, this is how I see the options shaping up

Scenarios:

a I shoot 1 man and 9 are freed.

b I decline to shoot and 10 are killed.

c I try to kill the Warlord and if successful may be saving thousands of lives at the expense of my own life.

d I kill one man. The Warlord laughs kills the other nine and then executes me as an American butcher and murderer

e I decline to kill anyone, but the Warlord still think I am a good scapegoat and making people angry at America suits him

Of the options, C seems the best.

Shoot the warlord anyway, sacrifice myself and the 10.

No more hostages by that warlord and who knows how many hundreds you save for the future.

edit** dangit! I just read Burgolds full post, he said essentially the same thing. Bummer, here I figured I had an original thought!

I think this is in part the Hitler argument as much as the argument you presented. Adding the assumption that this warlord is a monster, which seems reasonable given your set-up, this is how I see the options shaping up

Scenarios:

a I shoot 1 man and 9 are freed.

b I decline to shoot and 10 are killed.

c I try to kill the Warlord and if successful may be saving thousands of lives at the expense of my own life.

d I kill one man. The Warlord laughs kills the other nine and then executes me as an American butcher and murderer

e I decline to kill anyone, but the Warlord still think I am a good scapegoat and making people angry at America suits him

Of the options, C seems the best.

Liberals love "change" so much, they want to change the parameters of the poll.

Just stick to the OP's original question....

1) I'd first ask if anyone wants to give their life for the other 9...

2) If there isn't a volunteer, I walk away... Let God sort them out.

3) Definitely, call the A-Team

Depends on the circumstances with the 10 people...

Are they all beatin' to a pulp and look like they will be crippled even if they live....?

Is there a handicaped person of the group...?

Is there anyone who is real old and about to kick the bucket anyways...?

Are they all men or are some of them women?

Are they all white...lol...(just kidding)

I don't believe in murder unless it is self defense...

But being responsible for 10 murders when you could have made it just one and saved 9 really makes this an interesting situation...

To be honest....I would probably take the option of shooting the warlord and take my chances with the rest...

We may all die...But the one who should meet his maker will definately die!(and I might take a couple of his bodyguards with him)

Plus..you really don't know what their reaction would be,if you did kill him....Maybe some hate him and a civil war could break out?

Point is....There are usually more options than you think!

It may not be the most popular,but it doesn't mean it's the wrong one either...

If you kill one and save 9,you are still a murderer.....

If you turn the other cheek,then you are a murderer in gods eyes....

Liberals love "change" so much, they want to change the parameters of the poll.

Just stick to the OP's original question....

1) I'd first ask if anyone wants to give their life for the other 9...

2) If there isn't a volunteer, I walk away... Let God sort them out.

3) Definitely, call the A-Team

I think this is really much more of a Captain Kirk thing than a liberal thing... on the other hand, Kirk was a lot like Clinton, so you may have a point :laugh:

(Besides, the best answer in philosophy is often to extend oneself beyond the obvious parameters.)

Archived