Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Would it be so wrong if the Packers told Favre to stick it?

Toe Jam

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Would-it-be-so-wrong-if-the-Packers-told-Favre-t?urn=nfl,91744

Brett Favre is a gridiron legend, he's like a kid who just loves playing the game, he's a cowboy, he's a gunslinger, he's fearless, he's wonderful, he's just a regular joe like you and me, and he's totally spectacular in every way that a human being can be spectacular. I won't disagree with any of that. But would it really be so wrong if the Packers asked him to kindly shut his yapper?

I've never been one to tell a guy when he should retire. It's his body, it's his life, and he's got to do what's best for him. I've not walked in his cleats.

But when Brett Favre steadfastly refuses to say, "No, I'm not coming back," and we have incidents like we had yesterday, when Chris Mortensen set the whole world abuzz with his "Brett Favre feels itchy!" report, it doesn't just affect Brett Favre. It affects the entire Packers organization.

Again, I don't begrudge Brett Favre the right to change his mind, but he's not doing this in a vacuum. The Packers have an offense that they need to tailor to a new quarterback. They've got receivers who have to develop timing and a rapport with that new quarterback. And that quarterback is having a hard enough time as it is, without having the fans constantly ride the "Oh joyous day, Brett's coming back and I can be happy again, oh no, wait, we're still stuck with other dope" roller coaster.

These are real issues for the Packers, ones they probably started working on after Favre's overly sniffly press conference. These are things they have to deal with, and it doesn't get easier when Favre plays these games.

Now, I know, Favre said that everything that came out yesterday was "rumor," and that "there was no reason" for all the hubbub, but at the same time, he did absolutely nothing to squash what he labeled as rumor. All it would take is a simple, "No, I'm not coming back," but he can't make his mouth say the words. And not saying anything isn't much different than saying "maybe."

The Packers have to know about their future. Either it includes Brett Favre or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, they've got to move ahead with the new guy. They can't afford to be constantly jerked around by a guy -- even if he's a legend -- who can't make a decision.

They won't do it because it would alienate the Favreophiles in Green Bay, but the Packers would be perfectly justified in telling Favre that they've put him in the rearview. Tell him he won't be traded, he won't be released, and if he insists on coming back, he can't do anything but hold the clipboard for Aaron Rodgers.

They've got to know which way they're heading as an organization, and right now, Favre's indecisiveness is keeping them in limbo. If he can't make up his mind, they should make it up for him.

I would have him back if he knew that the Pack would not just give him the starting QB job. He would have to beat out Rodgers and any other QB on the roster in training camp. Yes, Favre has done a lot for Green Bay but the Pack needs to see what is in the best interest for the team in the future.

Rodgers has been holding the clipboard since 2005 and I hope he gets the chance to show what he can do as the starter and not keep looking over his shoulder for Brett Favre.

If they said "stick it" yes it would be wrong considering all that Favre has given them. However, if they respectfully declined because of a desire to move on and not keep Rodgers on the bench for a 4th season, that would be understandable, and prob. the best move in the long run. If they didn't release him from his contract after saying so, that would be a pretty crappy move.

I know one thing.... if Farve comes back, and the Packers decide to move on and trade/release him, and he does well with his new team, while Rodgers absolutely stinks up Lambeau Field, those coaches and the Packers FO better already have a good escape route out of Green Bay. :)

At this point, I get the feeling that Aaron Rodgers has about as good a chance of being a good NFL quarterback as I do.

He's also injury-prone. Broke his foot in '06 in MOP UP DUTY. Had a hammy injury last year. His career has barely even started.

They also drafted a QB this year, FWIW.

He's also injury-prone. Broke his foot in '06 in MOP UP DUTY. Had a hammy injury last year. His career has barely even started.

The last two games he played, his qb rating was over 100. They were the only games he got into last year. The pukes don't want to see him again.

He may be injury prone (which could end up being his undoing, considering how spoiled Packers fans are with Favre being an iron man of sorts) but he looked really good in the Dallas game. This being in Dallas, where Favre had a tendency to stink up the joint.

Rodgers will have the benefit of having a strong running attack to support him, a really solid receving corps, and a good offensive line as he works out the kinks of his game. At this point, he's in a much better position to succeed a legend than any other QB like him has before.

Don't forget also that in '05, he was considered a really good prospect in the draft that plummeted in the same fashion that Brady Quinn did. If anything, Green Bay is fortunate to have him.

He may be injury prone (which could end up being his undoing, considering how spoiled Packers fans are with Favre being an iron man of sorts) but he looked really good in the Dallas game. This being in Dallas, where Favre had a tendency to stink up the joint.

Rodgers will have the benefit of having a strong running attack to support him, a really solid receving corps, and a good offensive line as he works out the kinks of his game. At this point, he's in a much better position to succeed a legend than any other QB like him has before.

Don't forget also that in '05, he was considered a really good prospect in the draft that plummeted in the same fashion that Brady Quinn did. If anything, Green Bay is fortunate to have him.

For the most part-my perceptions at the time when we played them last year was that Wade opted to sit back a bit and play more zone when Favre went down(and didn't prepare much for Rodgers).

HOWEVER-at the same time, I was impressed by the way he handled the WCO system. And more importantly, he really understood this system very well.(Really-on a side note, for the most part, it wasn't the first time that season our coverage schemes were picked a good one-Jason Campbell, and even Eli in the playoffs were just killing them. And you saw what Tom Brady did as well)

With that being said-if he can stay healthy, the sky could be the limit, I agree. Anytime when a coach gives you more than enough breathing room to learn, the better.:2cents:

Archived