Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Rob Johnson says he plans to push Patrick Ramsey at QB.......

TC4

Okay, everyone keep the salt shakers handy for this one, since it is after all from the Washington Times.

It's about QB Rob Johnson and how he says he is gonna push QB Patrick Ramsey for the starting job:

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20030327-7364630.htm

QB Johnson plans to push Ramsey

By Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Newly signed Rob Johnson considers himself in a "competitive"quarterback situation as a Washington Redskin, even though he understands that he is Patrick Ramsey's backup.

"I'm going to push him as much as I can," Johnson said yesterday at Redskin Park. "I know [being a backup is] my role, and I'm going to support [Ramsey] as much as I can. But I want to push him, make him better and make myself better."

Coach Steve Spurrier has named Ramsey the unquestioned starter, saying that last year's first-round pick will get about 80 percent of the first-team work when minicamps begin after the April 26-27 draft.

Johnson, a ninth-year veteran who recently signed a two-year, $2 million contract, didn't dispute Ramsey's status but made it clear that he doesn't think like a reserve. Asked whether he views Washington's quarterback situation as competitive, he replied, "Oh yeah. It's always competitive."

Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson reiterated that Ramsey is the starter and said the club is lucky to have a backup as talented as Johnson.

"The thing that's exciting right now is we have a guy who's a starter, who has played in our system, who has led our football team to victories," Jackson said. "And we have another young man who's very talented and we're excited about having on our team. It's like with any team — you always want to have as many good quarterbacks as you can have. I think we're very fortunate with the situation we're in."

Both passers are studying and working out at the team's headquarters in preparation for the first minicamp May 2-4. Johnson's first visit to Redskin Park came only Friday because he was on vacation in Aspen, Colo., when his contract was negotiated.

Ramsey, 24, is benefiting from this early start. Last year he was thrown into minicamps after the draft and then held out more than two weeks from training camp. As the young passer continues to learn about the NFL after a promising rookie season, Johnson, 30, is "ready to have a big year."

"I've played well in games, just never put strings together, either from injuries or whatever," Johnson said. "I think it's just a matter of timing."

NFL talent evaluators long have felt Johnson has the tools to be a top passer. A 1995 fourth-round pick by Jacksonville, Johnson consistently has impressed with his arm strength and athleticism, plus his prototypical height (6-foot-4, 212 pounds). But he has struggled to find a comfortable situation, whether with Jacksonville, Buffalo or Tampa Bay.

This setup appears very promising, albeit in a reserve capacity. So much of the NFL these days is based around the short, high-percentage passes of the West Coast offense, making Spurrier's wide-open, downfield attack one of the few systems geared toward Johnson's talents and preference.

"I think [the system] fits me well," Johnson said. "They throw the ball downfield a whole lot here, and that's what I like to do. They've got a very good O-line, which allows you to throw the ball downfield, and they've got speed wide receivers. I think I fit in well here."

The system was just one thing that attracted Johnson as a free agent after a year backing up Brad Johnson for Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay.

"Probably just the opportunity to play," Johnson said of signing here. "And obviously the commitment to winning. It's a great organization. ... The team is up and coming. [With] the players that they have, I just think they need a little something — maybe a little luck, better play — to push them over the edge."

Another element that makes Johnson comfortable is the presence of Jackson, who began a four-year tenure at Southern California shortly after Johnson left. The quarterback later worked out with Jackson occasionally.

"I have a history with his father, a history with his family," Jackson said. "And he's a real good friend of Carson Palmer [the likely No.[ThSp]1 overall pick in the draft], who I recruited and coached at USC. So there was a connection there. I'm just glad that we had a guy who has experience, who's been around the league and played in a lot of different systems, to come in and back up Patrick."

Note — There is mutual interest between the Redskins and St. Louis tight end Ernie Conwell, agent Michael Sullivan confirmed. NFL sources said Conwell, a solid pass-catcher and one of the top tight ends available, is sought by a number of other clubs, including Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and Carolina. His visits are expected to begin late next week, having been put off because he was resting a knee that underwent "minor elective" surgery in mid-January.

I've got plenty against him. He sucks for one thing. For another he holds the ball way too long and get's injured as a result.

He's one signing I really wish we hadn't made. However, if we had to screw the pooch on one signing, I'd rather it was the backup QB than say WR or OG.

I think Johnson has talent and ability and probably is a physical fit in this offense, but, damn, he seems slow to make decisions and this offense requires quick decisions to be made. I can't imagine he'll actually outplay Patrick, but, if he does, I guess that's great. It's just hard to see happening without that car trip :)

Let's not forget what a douchebag Johnson looks like on the sidelines. Every time they showed him during a Bucs game last year, with his bleached long hair hanging over his visor, I felt compelled to throw my shoe at the TV.

However, unlike Danny W., he does have a better arm than my sister....which is nice.

the fact is if you look around the league there is a paucity of quality backup quarterbacks. a few teams don't even have a real starting caliber player at QB :)

in today's NFL with the cap Johnson is about the best you are going to get as a veteran backup. Johnson has starting experience, is not too old and has a relatively modest contract. He is a good athlete and will have a far better offensive line here if he has to play than he did in Buffalo or Tampa.

I guarantee you that Johnson will get on the field in 2003. It is doubtful that Ramsey over 16 grueling weeks will take every snap.

In what is described as a multi-pronged offensive attack under Spurrier the fact we have a backup qb that can actually throw a 20 yard out pass is an improvement over where we were last year.

And given what happened to Wuerffel last year the added mobility doesn't hurt either :)

Maybe there should be a team rule that ramsey and johnson never get to ride in the same car.

i agree johnson has talent but he always seems to blow it. He's like the westbrook of QBs --- everybody is always waiting for him to fullfull his potential. and i saw enough of QBs who like taking sacks last year with wuerffel.

But as a backup i guess he's ok. at least hes a vet and wont get all shaky when he has to step in.

But i think this whole season depends on ramsey. if he gets injured or cant get it done, it aint gonna be pretty.

I am rarely a player-hater on any level, but man do I hate Rob Johnson.

Almost without fail, on every team, the back-up QB is popular with fans. Rob Johnson has re-defined that. He does make you want to puke seeing him on the sidelines and seeing him on the field makes you want to puke even more. Watching him play is so incredibly painful.

Did anyone check the Buffalo Bills record from 98-01 when Johnson was QB and when Flutie was QB? It's something like 10-17 with Johnson and the opposite under Flutie. His teammates in Buffalo hated him, I don't think the Bucs were very happy with him either (he made Brad Johnson a savior for crying out loud).

The Westbrook comparison isn't bad, but that would be giving Rob Johnson way too much credit.

Can you tell that I don't like Rob Johnson?:puke: :doh:

I AM NOT A BIG FAN OF ROB JOHNSON, BUT DAMN GUYS, DO YOU EXPECT HIM TO COME IN HERE AND SAY I AM A LOUSY QB AND CAN'T CARRY PATRICK RAMSEYS JOCK STRAP??

ALTHOUGH THAT STATEMENT IS TRUE HE(R. JOHNSON) DOESNT KNOW IT. AND I THINK THAT IS THE MIND SET A BACK UP HAS TO HAVE??

Cmonster, its a good thing that everyone hates Johnsno! The most popular guy in town is always the backup QB, but for the skins no one will ever be screaming for Johnson if ramsey screws up.

That way Ramsey wont get the short hook from Spurrier. He'll be like "Oh well might as well let Ramsey struggle through it". That way ramsey will learn.

Imagine if the skins had signed a decent Qb as backup. Then the first time Ramsey throws a couple INTs the whole Extremeskins would explode with "Play the backup!" threads.

Or maybe thats not true. Lots of people still wanted ot see more of Wuerffel after last season.

Well, I sure hope you are wrong. Flutie played better in Buffalo because his MO is throwing the ball on the run, which was a good quality to show off when you are running for your life :laugh:

Johnson is a good athlete and is mobile, but unlike Flutie or say a Michael Vick, he is not a good thrower WHILE on the run. When Johnson pulls the ball down and runs, he is RUNNING not looking to pass.

And that makes him one dimensional. defenses flank him and then move in because they know from watching the films he is not looking to make a play downfield but looking to get to the sidelines :)

With a better line here and some tutelage hopefully Johnson will have to run less when inserted into the lineup. Spurrier's whole philosophy is drilling the fundamentals of the dropback and making decisions quickly and getting rid of the ball.

Perhaps that is what Johnson has lacked?

Let's face it, the Bucs offense was aided along to the Super Bowl by a superior defense.

The Bucs didn't have a deep threat at WR, didn't have a 1,000 yard rusher and started the year with a patchwork line behind which both Johnsons took a pounding before coming together toward the end of the year.

In fact one Tampa article I was reading after the Super Bowl indicated how much of a shock it was to that writer that the Bucs line he saw in the playoffs was the same one that had started out the year so poorly.

Isnt Ramsey kinda one-dimensional?

If Johnson is one-dimensional becuase he cant throw on the run, then Ramsey must be one-half-dimensional becuase he cant even run.

:laugh:

I think spurriers offense wants the QBs to be smart and tough and strong armed and patient, not quick to tuck the ball in and run. Johnson has been sacked so many times i think he runs to save his own life, not to make a play.

Ramsey is tough. He sticks in the pocket and uses his strong arm to make plays. Maybe thats one-dimensional but its one dimension i like better.

Rob Johnson is neither good nor bad, just average. He looks to me like a guy who has stayed a rookie his whole life -- he never seems to learn from his mistakes. He eats sacks like some of us eat candy bars. He's got the athletic ability of a young college athlete, but none of the maturity you get from being a veteran.

I'm sure we'll see him on the field at some point, but I really hope it's never as the starter. Johnson is an okay backup, because he won't lose the game for you... but he has the highest sack-per-dropback percentage of all active QBs. And that's why he should never be more than a backup.

in a roundabout way you are getting to my point :D

having a mobile quarterback who sees himself as a mobile quarterback is only valuable IF when he runs he sees the potential to make plays with his arm as well as his feet.

Otherwise, the threat is no more than that of a normal running play and the average quarterback physically is not going to stand up to the pounding from the defense that a back can take.

I watched Johnson get hurt in Buffalo putting his shoulder down and trying to run through 250 pound Earl Holmes of the Steelers.........not a very smart play for a 210 pound QB.........

Johnson has to learn to get rid of the ball faster in the pocket but he also has to learn to throw the ball away and avoid the hit when on the move.

No worries, bob johnson can't hold a candle to Saint Patrick. Once he gets comfortable and builds a repoir with Coles and the O-line, and has the Offense down cold, Ramsey's gonna have the D.C. starting QB job locked up for the next decade

Originally posted by mphilips16

No worries, bob johnson can't hold a candle to Saint Patrick. Once he gets comfortable and builds a repoir with Coles and the O-line, and has the Offense down cold, Ramsey's gonna have the D.C. starting QB job locked up for the next decade

Sounds good to me!!! :thumbsup:

I agree with Yusuf. Johnson sucks. I don't see this talent and mobility you guys are talking about. Kinda reminds me of Mathews actually. I also felt like he had a crappy attitude in Buffalo during that whole contraversy with Flutie. I know, I know, flutie wasn't any better, but I remember seeing an interview with Johnson and thinking, "what a jerk". The quote" I'm going to support [Ramsey] as much as I can" doesn't sound too sincere to me. Having said that, I guess it's not a big deal b/c he doesn't have a chance in hell of unseating Ramsey as the starter. That car ride would have to be a plane ride. I think Ramsey is a real tough kid, and with the improved oline hopefully we won't see much of Johnson after preseason (knock on wood).

Rob Johnson was the worst pick-up of the off-season. I have NEVER seen him play well in his career. While that may be only moments of 10 or so games he has always looked like he was about to **** his pants. Maybe that's why he kept getting hurt? He really had to take a dump and couldn't wait till the half? I'd bet they have some nice ****ters in the locker room while he was waiting for a CAT scan.

I must be the only fan to acutally like Shane Mathews. I would rather have him backing up Ramsey than R. Johnson for 3 reasons.

1. Shane M. would be in his second year under SS system.

2. Shane M. threw 11 td's and 6 int's last year (not bad at all)

3. Rob J. sucks.

Archived