Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Animal shelter mistakenly euthanizes family pet

HogNose

I know the beagles they were using for practice fights were given homes (Great Job Huly!), but the Pitbulls were farmed somewhere if they were not destroyed, not given up for adoption if I rememeber correctly.

great job huly? please explain.........

http://hamptonroads.com/node/426821

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/26/BA1CUM7M3.DTL

http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2007/10/adopt_a_michael_vick_pit_bull.html

I swear I thought I read an article on MSNBC that said they were all up for adoption but this at least shows that some of them were.

The first link doesn't say anything about the Pits, but the second one does. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

1 huly's a chick? wtf? i never knew lol

2 that was really kool of ........um .... her

Yeah I think she has a pic in the "Show Yourselves" thread. I think I know who all the women are on here....maybe not. :laugh: Maybe there should be a thread about this. Name and then sex. Hognose=Male

One of the Vick dogs, Leo, is now doing therapy work with cancer patients at the Camino Infusion Center in California, as well as working as a therapy dog at a youth center in San Jose that deals with young people on probation.

One of the Vick dogs taken in by Bad Rap, Hector, was just adopted by Andrew Yori. His other pit bull, Wallace, won the 2007 Purina Freestyle Flying Disc National Championship (frisbee). Uba, another of the dogs fostered by Bad Rap, has also been adopted out.

I guess it's true that, occasionally, every cloud does have a silver lining.

edit:

As far as the original story - not knowing the circumstances surrounding the bite incident, I cannot say whether the dog should or should not have been euthanized.

However, that really does not matter. If the dog was ordered to be euthed because of the bite is one thing - for it to be done because someone cannot read a cage card right is not excusable imo.

I'm surprised the dog wasn't up for euthanization anyway. This woman's so called "sweetest dog" bit someone. I don't really see the problem.

What's your problem man? It bit someone, so something was probably wrong, hence why it was at the kennel...there's no need to kill it.

**** that dog. The worlds going to hell and everyone's gettin' all shook up over a damn dog.

:rolleyes:

Ok. You happy now that you got it off your chest. When you have a dog for several years it becomes part of your family. You expect to see it when you wake up and right before you go to sleep. I had my dog for 11 years and when she died I was devastated. It's never been the same. To accidentally euthanize a family pet is terrible.

No one is saying that a dangerous mauling shouldn't in most cases warrant euthanasia but to say who cares? I bet if you had a dog for years and some dude came and shot it and said ha you'd be steamed.

my american mastiff is 8 years old and i am crazy overly cautious about her because people tend to think she is a pit....... down here if you have a pit and animal control picks it up...... it is an automatic death sentence...... you cannot reclaim your pit......

if this happened to me yeah..... i would snap....... my dog is the sweetest dog ever and it truly would be like losing a child

i dont know if they have grounds to sue or not but i think it would be appropriate...... just to make an example......... and i dont believe in silly lawsuits.....

sad story....

thats the policy on pit bulls?thats horrible and doesn't seem legal to me.so just because you have a pit and it gets picked up for something simple they are put to death? that makes me sick

ok wow i dont know where to begin....... im a dog lover..... primarily pits and mastiffs... however you could offer me millions to take a pit like vicks and i wont even consider putting that dog within eyesight of my kids.

im not down on pits.... when my baby girl took to a toddler bed she had her own security in having a pit sleeping on the bed at her feet all night long..... but one that has been trained.... <abused> .... to fight....... uh huh .... no way.....

i didnt even know those dogs were adopted......... they shoulda been euthanized right away..... thats the practice in this part of the world and i agree with it. no its not the dogs fault but that doesnt change the fact that they present a clear and present danger ......

vicks dogs were rehabbed and deemed fit to be adopted.why do you think they should have been euthanized?they were deemed fit to be adopted by a professional.i just dont get how dogs that were placed in homes and bring joy to their new owners should have been killed.

dogs do have the ability to change ever seen the Dog Whisperer?

As an owner of an adopted 8 year old, 120lb Akita, I can fully understand if my dog wandered onto your property, you got scared hit her or shot her because of your own security. My bad. I had a roommates dog attack a bull (he was a huge 100lb Pitt, with a heart of gold. One of the nicest dogs I've known) and when the cops shot him to death, they were in the right.:(

This mistake is very bad, but I can't imagine the heartache and desensitizing that would go along with this job of killing dogs. I could never do it.:cry:

To all the people who are outraged, What have you done lately about the

3 MILLION- 4 MILLION dogs who are killed every single year in the US of A?

Think about that number and reflect on how "civalized" we are.

As an owner of an adopted 8 year old, 120lb Akita, I can fully understand if my dog wandered onto your property, you got scared hit her or shot her because of your own security. My bad. I had a roommates dog attack a bull (he was a huge 100lb Pitt, with a heart of gold. One of the nicest dogs I've known) and when the cops shot him to death, they were in the right.:(

This mistake is very bad, but I can't imagine the heartache and desensitizing that would go along with this job of killing dogs. I could never do it.:cry:

To all the people who are outraged, What have you done lately about the

3 MILLION- 4 MILLION dogs who are killed every single year in the US of A?

Think about that number and reflect on how "civalized" we are.

I adopt from no kill shelters, refuse to buy from puppy mills and always have my dogs neutered.

Go dogs.

I can only imagine what thus family is going through. Truly sad :(

And for those of you saying "but the dog bit somebody..." you're forgetting the concept of proportional punishment. That is, would you advocate the death penalty for people who have anger issues or a bad day and punch others? Or, what if a person was locked up for public drunkeness and accidentally given the electric chair because some dingleberry misread his info?

This is a tragedy that never should have been allowed to happen. It's sad enough that we have to put down so many animals every year. However errors like this imply that this process has become an assembly line affair. In a society that values life, hat just shouldn't be the case.

I have to admit, I don't feel nearly as much sympathy after reading that the thing agressively broke out and attacked a defenseless woman.

If it was someone's sweet little puppy that they left at the kennel while on vacation, that would be way worse.

I have to admit, I don't feel nearly as much sympathy after reading that the thing agressively broke out and attacked a defenseless woman.

If it was someone's sweet little puppy that they left at the kennel while on vacation, that would be way worse.

The story didn't say anything about how the dog got out of its home, it just said it escaped. For all we know it could have just darted out after someone opened the front door.

There's also a huge difference between biting and attacking. The severity of the incident was never clarified.

Archived