Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gore's Mansion Uses More Energy After 'Going Green'

RedskinsFanInTX

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/viewstory.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200806/CUL20080619a.html

By Randy Hall

CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor

June 19, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - In the year since Al Gore took steps to make his home more energy efficient, the power use at the former vice president's house has increased more than 10 percent, a nonprofit research group reported Tuesday.

"A man's commitment to his beliefs is best measured by what he does behind the closed doors of his own home," said Drew Johnson, president of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, in a news release. "Al Gore is a hypocrite and a fraud when it comes to his commitment to the environment, judging by his home energy consumption."

Using data obtained through a public records request to the Nashville Electric Service, the Center determined that during the past year, Gore's mansion in the Belle Meade area of Nashville used 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, the Center revealed in February 2007 that the former vice president's home "consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year."

A few days later, President Bush's "Western White House" in Crawford, Texas, was praised as an "eco-friendly haven" by the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute.

Dude, I don't know if you got the memo, but Gore is God to some on this board. He's allowed to do whatever he wants as long as he PREACHES about the hazards of Global Warming, and wins a Nobel Prize in the process. Nobel Prize = Get Out of Jail Free Card.

As for that blurb about Bush's house; C'mon, consider the source.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/viewstory.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200806/CUL20080619a.html

The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.

Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

:notworthy :silly:

Using data obtained through a public records request to the Nashville Electric Service, the Center determined that during the past year, Gore's mansion in the Belle Meade area of Nashville used 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

I'm no Gore fan, but this is misleading, isn't it? They're comparing one house's yearly energy usage to another's monthly usage. Granted, it still translates to around 20 houses' yearly usage, but it's not as bad as they made it sound.

When you also consider the size of his house, yes, I would say he's out of whack, but maybe not the energy-snorting monster he is made out to be.

*Disclaimer*

I am not a Gore supporter, lover, friend or ally...nor am I manbearpig.

*Message*

Just wanted to point out, and this was mentioned in the other thread about Gore's house, that much of his energy comes from renewable energy sources such as solar/geothermal/wind etc.

So he may be using more energy, but its renewable--not taking up fossil fuels, harming the environment etc.

I'm just repeating what another ESer said, feel free to look it up.

Dude, I don't know if you got the memo, but Gore is God to some on this board. He's allowed to do whatever he wants as long as he PREACHES about the hazards of Global Warming, and wins a Nobel Prize in the process. Nobel Prize = Get Out of Jail Free Card.

Actually, Bush is eco friendly in Crawford: http://www.commondreams.org/views01/0429-03.htm

Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this "eco-friendly" dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.

A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

In addition to that, Bush has accomplished more toward environmental clean-up than did Gore and Clinton in their 8 years: http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=080305E

*Disclaimer*

I am not a Gore supporter, lover, friend or ally...nor am I manbearpig.

*Message*

Just wanted to point out, and this was mentioned in the other thread about Gore's house, that much of his energy comes from renewable energy sources such as solar/geothermal/wind etc.

So he may be using more energy, but its renewable--not taking up fossil fuels, harming the environment etc.

I'm just repeating what another ESer said, feel free to look it up.

Gore wants to be on 100% renewable energy, but at this time is unable to be 100%. He uses traditional energy sources when he has to. And one of his claims is he uses low energy flourescent bulbs and buys carbon offsets to minimize his total footprint.

That is all well and good. But if you make a documentary castigating the world for polluting the planet, don't you think he should sell his 20,000 sqft house and build ag100% green house with the multi-millions you have made? You know, to keep people from pointing out your hypocrisy?

Gore wants to be on 100% renewable energy, but at this time is unable to be 100%. He uses traditional energy sources when he has to. And one of his claims is he uses low energy flourescent bulbs and buys carbon offsets to minimize his total footprint.

That is all well and good. But if you make a documentary castigating the world for polluting the planet, don't you think he should sell his 20,000 sqft house and build ag100% green house with the multi-millions you have made? You know, to keep people from pointing out your hypocrisy?

One would think that he would be able to yes.

But if you make a documentary castigating the world for polluting the planet, don't you think he should sell his 20,000 sqft house and build ag100% green house with the multi-millions you have made? You know, to keep people from pointing out your hypocrisy?
One would think that he would be able to yes.
It is a hundred-year-old house, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were historical preservation regulations limiting what he can do to the building. :2cents:

Not unless he's asking everybody else to sell their homes and live 100% green.

If he's asking everybody else to do what they reasonably can to be green, then he seems like he is okay.

Not unless he's asking everybody else to sell their homes and live 100% green.

If he's asking everybody else to do what they reasonably can to be green, then he seems like he is okay.

I'll buy that. I personally have no issue with Gore and his house. But before I got out in front of a movement Iwould have my house in order just so this debate would not take place. Like Bush did in Crawford. If only his policies encouraged us to do likewise. :doh:

Archived