Extremeskins

GM's discuss big-name trade-bait worth

pointyfootball

Jeter or Mayer?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Jeter or Mayer?

• Jeter
    • Mayer

I found this article quite interesting, as it shows how four NFL GMs can't even agree about five high-profile players (CJ, Lito, RoyWilliams, Jason Taylor, and Lamont Jordan) who are trade-bait.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10855212

"He's a five-time Pro Bowl choice who's on the hot seat because, frankly, he might have trouble covering you. And he knows it. He went on Michael Irvin's radio show this spring and admitted that sometimes he wishes opponents wouldn't throw in his direction. Great. Maybe that's why one teammate conceded that Williams "gets a deer-in-the-headlights type of reaction" when it comes to defending the pass. Which makes you wonder: If Dallas were to shop Williams, what would it take to get him."

He couldn't cover me, I'd do my double move and be GONE. As long as he didn't jam me at the line of scrimmage - then I'd be about as open as FreddieMitch.

PF

I bet every single GM in that article who said they wouldn't take Chad Johnson if he were given away for free would absolutely jump at the chance to get Chad Johnson if he actually WERE given away for free lol...(GM): "You couldn't pay me to take Chad Johnson!" (Marvin): "I'll give you $5,000 if you take CJ off our hands." (GM): "Sold!!!"

I can't believe teams said they would give a low second or third round pick for Old Roy Williams.
I think they were thinking of Detriot's Roy William...minus an arm - that would be worth a low second or third round pick - and still be worth more than the Cowboy's R.W.

Hell - I can see the bleeding amputated arm of Det. Roy Williams itself being worth more than C.R.W. - I'd at least give the arm vet + min incentives.

CJ, Lito, RoyWilliams, Jason Taylor, and Lamont Jordan
Sounds like teams would be pretty lucky if they were offered a second for these guys.

I don't think Miami wanted to trade Taylor and no one is going to trade for Jordan.

Dallas would be very fortunate if they received any offer for Williams.

There were many Redskins praying for Chad, thank goodness that didn't happen.

The Eagles held out for a first for Lito, that's why he's still with them.

It's a free agent market, and a player determines what there worth.

The problem starts when a team, or the player themselves, fell that they are worth more than they are making.

Deals like Will Smith's (70 million) are setting the bar unrealisticly high, and resetting the curve (Osi is a perfect example)

Jason Taylor, who has skills, but is on the downside of his carrer are basicly un-tradable becaue of the price-point set upon them.

I agree that a player should get what they are worth, but c'mon, we are talking multi-million dollar deals here. They are making more in a year than they would make in there lifetime if they couldn't catch a ball. Who pays for all this? We do, I do, the fans.

Sean Taylor said something to the effect of, "We are paid a kings kansom, to play a kids game"...

So true....

Archived