Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you take advantage living near DC?

skinfan2k

Have You Ever Tapped, Slapped, Hit, Punched, or Kicked your Significant Other or Ex?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Ever Tapped, Slapped, Hit, Punched, or Kicked your Significant Other or Ex?

• Yes, I've tapped him/her
    • Yes, I've slapped him/her
    • Yes, I've hit him/her
    • Yes, I've punched him/her
    • Yes, I've kicked him/her
    • Nope.

I run around the mall a couple times a week. I've also been to more than a few museums lately, national gallery, etc. There are also really cool things to do around the mall that people don't know about, like the jazz concerts in that garden (i don't even know what its called), where people bring their own wine and chill on fridays.

So much stuff to do there it's pretty crazy. I haven't been to a lot of stuff, though I've been going a lot more. I probably make like two or three trips into D.C. a year for museum/monument touring. I wouldn't mind doing it a little more.

I don't really take advantage of living in the area. I have been to the National Gallery of Art many times on field trips in elementary school but other than that I haven't really been to any of the museums. I have gone in the Washington monument once, been to the Lincoln, Jefferson, and WWII memorials once, but I do go the the wall every year. I think the reason I have never really been is because I live so close, I feel like I can go there any time I want. Also, it doesn't really seem like a tourist attraction to me just because I am only a couple of miles away.

I take full advantage. I go to the cherry blossom festival every year, ive seen every major memorial, almost all of the museums (cant wait for American History to open back up). About a month ago i took a walking tour of Capitol Hill with a guide that talked all about the history and architecture, that was really interesting. Ive played in flag football leagues on the Ellipse, gotten kicked out of Camelot, sat in on a session of Congress, been at a bill signing in the Rose Garden, heckled World Bank protesters multiple times, seen NCAA bball tournament and Caps playoff games at MCI, the Spy Museum etc etc etc.

There is only one portrait in the western hemisphere by Da Vinci.

It's downtown in the National Gallery of Art.

That may be reason enough.

Go to Eastern Market for brunch

Get a pint of Guinness at Dubliner's

Go to the Smithsonian Folklife Festival

You just missed the Free Shakespeare at Carter Barron Amphitheater but Reggae night is June 20, and that's free.

Free Jazz on Father's Day as well, same place.

Go to the Old Ebbitt Grill and get some oysters

Go kick around Adams Morgan and before you see some Blues get some empanadas at Julias

Go to the Carribean Carnival at the end of the month

Go to the 9:30 club or Blues Alley or Bohemian Caverns for a show.

Get a chili dog at Ben's Chili Bowl.

Go to a monument

Go to a museum

Go to Brunch at the Tabard Inn and then see St. Matthew's Cathedral

Or National Cathedral.

Or Rock Creek Park...

I never understood why people don't take advantage of the city. When I lived in NYC, I went everywhere because I knew I wouldn't be there forever. Every open air market, every museum I could afford at the time, every random parade/festival, etc. There's a ton of free stuff to do in DC. When you want to spend some money, there's excellent restaurants, the Kennedy Center. I'm an outdoors guy, nothing I like more than camping and hiking, but the city has a flavor all it's own. Just as enticing, but different.

I was born and raised in DC. I have taken advantage of most of it. I used the Library of Congress when doing reports for high school.

The only thing I never visited was the White House. My mother used to work in the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, and in the summer when I was out of school I would go to work with her and wander around the museum before it opened to the public. I also got to see some behind the scenes stuff.

I also remember walking the steps in the Washington Monument which you can't do anymore.

By the way, there is a statue of my great, great, great-grandfather, Judge U.M. Rose, in the U.S. Capitol. He is one of the two famous representatives of the state of Arkansas (it is the same Rose as in the Rose law firm).

Archived