Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Don't go too Cowboys crazy

bubba9497

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/200393

Click link for entire article

Don't go too Cowboys crazy

Bring in Denny Green, because apparently everyone is ready to crown the Cowboys. The latest wave of adulation for the 'Boys comes on the tails of news that they re-signed Terrell Owens and Pacman Jones is partially reinstated.

T.O. is an outstanding player and the Cowboys are definitely a weaker team without him. But don't get too excited about his four-year, $34 million contract. How many playoff games has Owens won in Dallas? (zero) How old is he? (35) How often has he been hurt? (often). How emotional is he? (postgame tears).

The recent drying up of the receiver free-agent pool might have given the Cowboys little choice but to extend Owens. But there's still a lot of risk. At his age, he's not going to get less injury prone. And how many times have we seen players sign big contracts and subsequently get hurt.

Several writers have speculated this contract extension is insurance to make sure he doesn't get upset with the team. To even suggest that points to Owens' capricious nature. Although he's behaved fine in Dallas - except for run-ins with Bill Parcells, his vitamin overdoes and an ill-timed Jessica Simpson joke - his fiery days in Philadelphia aren't that far behind him. That was only three years ago. I have trouble believing players arrive in Dallas and completely transform themselves just by wearing the star. Which brings us to ...

Deion Sanders II. That's what Pacman Jones better be to justify all the headlines he's gotten. Finding the chemistry to win a Super Bowl is an elusive assignment, which seems to have a lot more to it than just talent. Whatever the perfect mix is, Pacman doesn't move the Cowboys in the right direction.

Dallas is a good team. But stop the offseason coronation. Where's the skepticism? This is T.O. and Pacman we're talking about. And I haven't even gotten to Wade Phillips or the loss of Tony Sparano. Not to mention the brutal NFC East.

I think people are making too big a deal about some of this stuff. The Owens four year signing isn't that bad. I don't think they should have acquired pacman jones cause they don't really need him. The only thing the cowboys should really worried about is the lost of Sparano and very high expectations.

Check out the power rankings -- they are ranked no lower then 5. Above several teams that have actually won a playoff game since Clinton...

Cute but logically what does a particular team winning a playoff game in say, 2003 have to do with THIS YEARS projections? Nobody should give Dallas worse than a top 5 ranking looking at them objectively in terms of talent, additions, losses, health, draft etc. Further, a top 5 ranking has little to do with being crowned champs.

The Giants proved that past failures don't necessarily project from year to year. Eli started his playoff career 0-2. Denver went 13-3 and had the #1 seed in '97 I believe only to lose to Brunnell and the Jags in the first round. They went on to win the next two Super Bowls.

Who's crowning Dallas champs?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

the question is WHO ISN'T?

come on THA, you can spin better than this..... Articles all over the net about the Pokes... best talent in the NFL, posed to make the Super Bowl, Power Ranking, best OL, best secondary, best RB tandem, ..... ....:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

there's more than enough articles in ATN to prove it.... as you know :laugh:

keep trying to play it down...but come January it will be just as painful and embarrassing for poke fans as last year.... heck the past dozen years :D

]']Everyone and their mom is. Where have you been?

Perhaps I've missed something? I'll admit that but nobody is giving me any evidence or even names. All I'm seeing is generalizations?

The only ones logical enough to realize your December-and-On struggles generally post on ATNFL.

Logic or pure hatred? What else are you going to say? We've struggled late in the year of late but a lot of teams/players face and overcome challenges. Do you logically believe that we'll never win another playoff game ever? Actually, don't answer that. :silly:

come on THA, you can spin better than this..... Articles all over the net about the Pokes... best talent in the NFL, posed to make the Super Bowl, Power Ranking, best OL, best secondary, best RB tandem, ..... ....:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

keep trying to play it down...but come January it will be just as painful and embarrassing for poke fans as last year.... heck the past dozen years :D

I had to do a double take. I thought it was BigD posting for a second.

All I'm asking is who has crowned Dallas champs? Seriously. I'll admit I hear a lot of hype but I hear just as much caution about team chemistry, post season failures etc.

Once again, I hear a lot of accolades about talent and so on but I hear a lot of negative as well. If I'm playing it down, you're playing it up when convenient. Are there not articles in ATN to prove what I'm saying.

All I'm asking is who has crowned Dallas champs? Seriously. I'll admit I hear a lot of hype but I hear just as much caution about team chemistry, post season failures etc.

Rick Goselin for one (I know I butchered his last name). #1 in the NFL? I think not

Once again, I hear a lot of accolades about talent and so on but I hear a lot of negative as well. If I'm playing it down, you're playing it up when convenient. Are there not articles in ATN to prove what I'm saying.

Like I said -- all of the pre-season power rankings ahve the Cowboys listed no lower then 5th

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Do you actually think that spin is going to fly?

every football news sight, tv show, magazine, has had hardly anything besides the Pokes greatness bs all off season

how about posting all these stories or links to articles saying the Pokes are going to stink, last in the NFC East etc....

even articles questioning certain aspects that maybe a problem, still have the Pokes making a run

Nice but I wasn't looking for division predictions. Only one of these links has really placed Dallas in the SB. My point all along is that you can find just as many doubters and critics as you can find those singing our praises.

how about posting all these stories or links to articles saying the Pokes are going to stink, last in the NFC East etc....

Seriously Bubba... you live here. No need to post any of that. :)

I haven't read anybody predicting we will "stink" or "finish last" unless it's Skip Bayless. I do see plenty of doubt and criticism as well. You and buddy post every article like this you can find. You should know better.

Nice but I wasn't looking for division predictions. Only one of these links has really placed Dallas in the SB. My point all along is that you can find just as many doubters and critics as you can find those singing our praises.

Oh, Get off it man! I give you proof and you spun it harder than a Dreidel. The media thinks the Cowboys are America's sweethearts! The rest of the league treats them like America's jiz rag in Playoff games. There is some strange fixation with the Cowboys and you are either blind, stupid, or spinning it to not look like an ass if you claim not to see it. I would vote for all three, but seeing as how this is a welcoming message board....

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248512

Here is some more Cowboys Love from the World Wide Leader in Bias (Sportsline, ESPN, ABC.) We must be Republican, because Fox is the only one that shows us any love.

It so funny to me to read his description of the Redskins O-Line and how he says they are solid as hell, then ranks them 16th. Maybe he is getting a little guidance from Conn..

Oh, Get off it man! I give you proof and you spun it harder than a Dreidel. The media thinks the Cowboys are America's sweethearts! The rest of the league treats them like America's jiz rag in Playoff games. There is some strange fixation with the Cowboys and you are either blind, stupid, or spinning it to not look like an ass if you claim not to see it. I would vote for all three, but seeing as how this is a welcoming message board....

Dude, you go to a Cowboys site and the media hates us, Godelle hates us. It's the same with every fan base. You choose to see what you want to see. I see PLENTY of analyst picking apart the Cowboys in certain areas with doubts that we can get it done in Dec/January. Dallas has been in the news plenty (although not all good) and we've been getting some hype. I'm not disputing this. I just don't there are as many "crowning us champs" as led to believe. That's my point all along.

Archived