Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe it's time to stop going to the movies

Sarge

These know nothing a$$wipes are certainly entitled to their opinions, but I don't have to listen to them or support their lifestyles, which leads to their celebrity and coverage by the media. Maybe if everyone stayed away from the movies, at least while the fighting is going on, it might send these losers a message to shut the hell up while people are fighting and dying.

As Oscars Near, Hollywood Blasts Iraq War

Sat March 22, 2003 10:26 PM ET

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hollywood launched a another strike against the Iraqi war on Saturday during a politically charged ceremony that could serve as a prelude for even more fireworks at the Academy Awards the next evening.

In a star-studded luncheon at the Independent Spirit Awards, the arthouse movie industry's version of the Oscars, celebrities blasted President Bush and the American-led war against Iraq.

Most outspoken was documentary filmmaker Michael Moore, the man behind the popular anti-gun expose "Bowling for Columbine," whose title refers to the Colorado high school where two students massacred 13 people in 1999.

"The lesson for the children of Columbine this week is that violence is an accepted means by which to solve a conflict," Moore told the 1,000 attendees gathered under a marquee on Santa Monica Beach as he accepted the Spirit Award for best documentary. "That's the lesson for the kids."

Wearing a badge that said, "Shoot movies, not Iraqis," Moore called Bush a "fictitious president" who was waging "terrorism."

He later told reporters he had spoken to a number of Oscar nominees who said they planned to acknowledge the war in acceptance speeches if they won in their categories. Moore's film is nominated for a best documentary Oscar, but he said he doubted he would win again on Sunday.

Julianne Moore, star of the Independent Spirits' big winner "Far From Heaven," spoke in more measured tones, "We're parents and we teach our children not to fight. Fighting's not the answer," she said as she accepted the best actress prize, one of five won by the 1950s drama.

Moore, who received Academy Award nominations for both "Far From Heaven" and "The Hours," said she would "play it by ear" with regard to any Oscar-night comments about the war. But she was similarly dismissive of her Oscar chances.

PEACE LAPEL PINS

Her co-star, Dennis Quaid, who won for his supporting role as a gay husband, said he did want to "politicize" the Independent Spirits. "It's a strange time for all of us," he told reporters backstage.

Quaid was one of the few guests not wearing a peace lapel pin; he explained that he had just flown in from a shooting in Montreal and was a little disoriented.

Other actors had no qualms about getting political. "Secretary" star Maggie Gyllenhaal, who was a presenter, said the war was about "oil and imperialism."

Actor/filmmaker Mike White, who won for his screenplay for the Jennifer Aniston black comedy "The Good Girl," said, "Let's use a little more spirit this year to get Bush out of office."

It was not all high drama though. The event's host, offbeat director John Waters, said in his opening remarks that these were indeed "scary times." But he added, "Saddam Hussein, George Bush -- no one will stop me from getting my gift bag."

Unlike the Academy Awards, which dispensed with the red carpet this year in order to minimize the frivolity at a grave time, the Independent Spirits maintained its arrivals line, allowing the casually dressed guests to pose for paparazzi and chat with reporters.

Singer/songwriter Elvis Costello set the anti-war tone for the leisurely affair by performing his cover of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?" a Nick Lowe song originally written as a parody of peace anthems.

In addition to the actress and supporting actor prizes, "Far From Heaven" won for director (Todd Haynes), best picture and cinematographer (Oscar nominee Edward Lachman).

Best actor prize went to newcomer Derek Luke, star of the urban drama "Antwone Fisher," who recalled that he had been a waiter at the event about four years ago.

Did any skinsfan worth their salt went to any of these alledged films?

Who would listened to the opinions of a guy who played the role of a gay hubby?

Didnt those idiots in columbine have to break a dozen gun laws to commit their crime?

DC has a gun ban but is still the murder capital of the US and lawabiding citizens fear blatant home invasions.

Dave, DC is always in the running because my esteemed homeland of Virginia has been the weapon supplier for much of the East Coast. Five minute drive is all it takes.

While I agree that its incredibly retarded of the District to ban guns when they're so freely available next door, I'd like to see VA quit its CCW law and clamp down on the prolifiereation of handguns.

I've made a conscious decision to forego watching the Oscars this year, and bet others do also. I don't begrudge them their right to an opinion, but since it will enrage me to hear their sanctimonious comments/lectures, I'm just going to say no this year. I do think there is something to the 'aiding and abetting the enemy' argument. If we weren't actively at war, I'd be much more forgiving of their opposition.

I'm sure you guys have heard about the Dixie Chicks lead singer (Natilie Maines) said while overseas on tour. She told, I believe French fans, that she was sorry that the President of the United States was from Texas.

Well, she's under attack from a lot of Americans and radio networks.

However, she has a new partner in her band............

dc1.JPG

:high: :D

I'm tired of hearing all of the "stars" that get to use various outlets to preach their thoughts on whats best for this country.

I love films and won't boycott them ever based on someones thoughts about the war (I've never got into foreign films though, especially french :high: ). Especially with the final installment of Lord of the Rings coming up.

I've always believed politics should stay out of the work place. Since this is their work place, it would probably be best not to state one's beliefs at an awards ceremony.

When I read the thread title I thought maybe you had seen "Swim Fan" for some reason... that film looks like ****! I saw the preview in the theatre and laughed my *** off... loud enough for everyone to hear...

the animatix movie looks great... i downloaded two other from thematix.com

totally free and totally legal to get them.

I was forced to watch this damn thing because I was at a bbq with my best friend who came to town for the weekend from Spain. He is very much against this war and I tell you, it was hard to sit there and not speak up when d*ckheads like Micheal Moore got up there. I had to finally say something and then it all exploded and we were arguing.

Very interesting to hear his opininon as he is a citizen of both countries. He views the war as a means to NO end. A ploy to keep our attention elsewhere and to set himself up and his cabinet up for re-election. When we got down to the meat of the issue, he mentioned over and over again how many Spainiards are against this war. I agreed that was true, yet it is the opposite here in America. He made a somewhat valid point that what we are doing is no different then what terrorists did to our country on 9/11.

While I wholeheartedly disagree, this was the first time I heard a valid point made against the war. It just seems to me that there have been no edjucated arguments against this situation since it began. It's hard to listen to stupid a*s arguments that are basesless and ignorant, but to hear a valid point made, while it inflames me much more, it makes me feel a sense of finality that I am finally hearing some sane and founded remarks. I know have a worthy opponent....

I'm with you 100% AirSarge! What a disgrace. What disgusts me the most is that these ignorant actors and singers think that since they are rich and famous they have the right to represent us in international public forums. That worthless POS from the Dixie Chicks told the French people that she is embarressed by the U.S. and by Bush. That is close to treason in my book. She probably worked at Walmart before she got her big break in music. What makes her qualified to form these opinions, and who asked her to represent us in foriegn countries. How about we revoke her citizenship and she can just stay in France.

i have already cut susan sarandon, janean garafalo, martin sheen, and that dickhead from m*a*s*h* out of my video collection, and i WILL NOT purchase and i WILL NOT attend any future movies with these poor excuse for americans in them. and it's too bad, because i really thought that janean garafalo was kinda funny, and kinda cute. and oh, by the way, i was going to buy barbara streisand's two cd greatest hits set, but she's shot her big mouth and big nose off one too many times as well.

and the irony is that Hollywood has been the purveyor of some of the crudest, most violent, least common denominator crap for years now. regardless of one's politics, where are the Casablancas and Dr Zhivagos? truly great films have become less and less a feature of the Hollywood landscape. instead...we see action films and technical wizardy. all of this, of course, substitutes for credible acting. who in the current genreation can be considered a great actor or actress? nope....maybe some housecleaning is in order - time to invest my money elsewhere.

Let me give you just a few reason why the Oscars, and more importantly those participating, mean absolutely nothing.

Barbara Steisand - a high school graduate ... actor/singer

Alec Baldwin - high school graduate and freshman dropout.. actor

Sean Penn - high school graduate .... actor

Susan Sarandon - college graduate .... major - Drama ... actress

Michael Moore - high school graduate and freshman dropout... filmaker.

And one more thing.... the Oscars are funded and presented by TAX PAYER DOLLARS!!!!! These Hollyweird Liberals don't even pay for their own event!!!!! Those $50,000 gift bags they give to the celebrities..... YOU PAY FOR THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived