Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need help! Copyright infringement?

Springfield

So I got an E mail from Cox today. In short it said my internet privelidges would be taken away because I had shared copyrighted material. They had recieved a complaint from the MPAA that my IP address was used to share this material. This correspondance from MPAA to Cox included my IP address the date it was found and what exact file it was, looks like official business to me.

My problem is, I can't find this file anywhere on my computer. I would be glad to delete the copyrighted material, but it's not there! I have sent an E mail to MPAA asking for an explanation of what I should do to remedy this problem. Any help you guys could offer may help.

And just for prevetitive measures... It is supposedly an episode of Family Guy Family Guy - Season 2 Episode 14 - Let's Go to the Hop.mpg, to be exact. Also, those of you who just want to make ignorant comments can go eat sand.

Thanks for any of you who can offer help, this one has me quite worried.

do you use the storage space they provide you?

I would also see if your firewall is turned on because someone could have gotten into your router and used your connection to do stuff. Its like when you live in an apartment complex and you steal someone's connection only worse.

do you use the storage space they provide you?

I would also see if your firewall is turned on because someone could have gotten into your router and used your connection to do stuff. Its like when you live in an apartment complex and you steal someone's connection only worse.

I don't use the space they provided me. I sometimes turn my firewall and virus protection off because it interferes with gaming, on both my PC and PS3. As of right now my anti-virus is off.

It doesn't have to still be present to have shared it.

Did you?

What firewall, anti-virus, spyware do you run?

I'd blame a hacker.

I have Norton, the whole suite.

do you torrent?

Yes, but I have never downloaded this file or any Family Guy episodes for that matter.

I don't use the space they provided me. I sometimes turn my firewall and virus protection off because it interferes with gaming, on both my PC and PS3. As of right now my anti-virus is off.

I have Norton, the whole suite.

Yes, but I have never downloaded this file or any Family Guy episodes for that matter.

a few thigns:

first, look into port-forwarding. that may allow you to keep your firewall up while you play games. secondly, look into an ipblocker. use it when torrenting and it'll prevent you from downloading/uploading to certain addresses (government addresses, university addresses, pretty much the places you don't want tracking you).

you can go with the "hacker" thing and probably get away with it. I worked for Cox customer care in SD and I know they are pretty cool the first time you're busted but they are going to watch you close after that.

I have to respond directly to the MPAA. I tried calling Cox and they told me to call MPAA. Apparently they are not so cool here in VA.

a few thigns:

first, look into port-forwarding. that may allow you to keep your firewall up while you play games. secondly, look into an ipblocker. use it when torrenting and it'll prevent you from downloading/uploading to certain addresses (government addresses, university addresses, pretty much the places you don't want tracking you).

I take it IP blocker is a program that runs in the background to prevent you from accessing "bad" IPs.

I have to respond directly to the MPAA. I tried calling Cox and they told me to call MPAA. Apparently they are not so cool here in VA.

thats ****ing AWESOME!!

seriously bro, in the grand scheme of things when it comes to pirating I am sure you are a small fish in a big pond. I would just be upfront and honest with them.

thats still pretty cool...:laugh:

I take it IP blocker is a program that runs in the background to prevent you from accessing "bad" IPs.

get peerguardian2

install it and run the updates.

i have only gotten two emails from charter when i was on them for high speed. i downloaded a couple episodes of stargate sg1 that had aired on skyone in the UK and two eps of stargate atlantis that were on a station in canada. neither had been aired in the us on scifi yet. so i get this email from charter saying they were contacted by the mpaa wanting my info. they refused to give it but told me if there was another letter on future dling, they would terminate the account. then i went and got PG2, and in the 5 years or so since, i have never heard anything again. that included downloading about 10 eps each year before they were released in the us, which seemed to be their beef. so PG2 works great. just gotta remember to delete the archive file cuz it stored the ip addresses in a log. and i was downloading 24/7 for 6 months and the log file was around 4 gigs.

just gotta remember to delete the archive file cuz it stored the ip addresses in a log. and i was downloading 24/7 for 6 months and the log file was around 4 gigs.

:laugh:

from what i've read, yeah peerguardian2 is the ipblocker to use for windows. on linux, i'm using a program called IP block (hard to remember, isn't it?)

Well I finally got off the phone with Cox after about a 30 minute ordeal of trying to find someone who knew what they were talking about.

Basically he said that since the MPAA hadn't contacted them since the 16th they probably hand't found anything on my PC subsequently. This means I'm probably out in the clear, which I would sure certainly hope. I never had that episode of Family Guy on my PC (may have had other things, but definitely not that). I have a feeling the MPAA is someone you don't want to **** with.

Thanks for all of the help as far as IP blockers, I will definitely look into that even though I hardly do any dowloading anymore.

I work for Cox and I've only been to one persons home whose of had that copywrite message. I remember trying to figure out what to do and was told that the customer has to contact some phone number. Wish I knew it, but it's been about 4 years since I've encountered it. Good luck. hopefully your modem hasn't been locked, that's what I remember this other guy having. Modem is locked and the desktop brings up some text informing you of the violation and who to call.

Archived