Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Redskin Hall of Fame Snubs

Commander Adama

I think Theisman would have had a shot, had his career not been cut short. Can you get in as an announcer? (another joke, I'm on a roll today.)

Well Thesiman's career wasn't really cut short. I believe he was like 35 when his leg got broken, so he was near the end of his career anyway. I think if we had one the Super Bowl against the Raiders, he'd be in the HOF.

Guys that I think were snubbed were Russ Grimm, Gary Clark, Mark Moseley, and Joe Jacoby. While I love all the Hogs, I don't think a guy like Bostic is a HOFer at all. Grimm and Jacoby were the studs on that line, and both deserve in. They were two of the best offensive linemen of the 80s, and it's a shame in my mind neither one made it in.

Gary Clark's a major snub because he was our home run threat during the era of the Posse. Art Monk was Mr. 3rd Down coversion and once an all time leading receiver, but if I've read my history correctly, Clark was the guy on our offense that defensive coordinators had to plan for. Plus, compare his stats to Michael Irvin's:

Clark - 699 Receptions, 10,856 Yards, 65 Touchdowns

Irvin - 750 Receptions, 11,904 Yards, 65 Touchdowns

Keep in mind that Irvin was the 11th overall pick out of Miami, while Clark was a 2nd round pick out of James Madison. Irvin played his entire 11 year career with Dallas, while Clark played 7 of his 10 year career in Washington

Irvin played his entire career with a HOFer throwing him the ball, while Clark had rotations of Theisman, Schroeder, Williams, Humphries, and Rypien throwing him the ball in Washington. Plus, Irvin was the undisputed #1 in Dallas while Clark always played second fiddle to Monk. Meanwhile, Clark played a chunk of his career on a team that emphasized the run (except for a year like '91 where we were a passing bonanza). Versus Irvin, who played on a team that had a great passing attack, plus Emmitt Smith in the backfield.

When you take all that into consideration, I find it extremely hard to believe that Irvin deserves to be in the Hall that much more than Clark. :2cents:

Legit maybe chance:

Grimm

Worst snub :doh: since Art Monk has gotten in - a true HOF career:

Chris Hanburger

Legit future maybe chance:

Jacoby

Mitchell

Iffy chance:

Clark

Too late and a real damn shame:

Jerry Smith

:helmet: The Rook

Jerry Smith's, Chris Hanburger's, Gary Clark's and Joe Jacoby's only shot would be with the Veteran's Committee. The only guys now on the ballot, or due to be on the ballot, with any chance at all are Russ Grimm and Brian Mitchell.

He won't get in,but man I loved Dave Butz!

Bingo! About time his name was mentioned. Dave Butz anchored that defensive line for what, 10 years? He made Dexter a pass rushing machine and gave all of our linebackers easy access to the running backs. If Dan Hampton is in the HoF, Butz damn well should be.

The other glaring snubs to me are Jacoby and Grimm. I would vote for Bostic too.

Hanburger was great, but Pro Bowl appearances should not be used to determine HoF status, in my opinion. For a good part of his career, he played for a terrible defense. But I remember he always had a knack for making the big play when you needed it.

Moseley....I would say Moseley had a couple Hall of Fame seasons, but maybe not a Hall of Fame career. He was clutch, but he'd miss a chip shot or two from time to time. Even when he set the record of consecutive FGs in 1982, he missed three extra points along the way (I think it was three).

Moseley left the game at about the time the kickers really took off. Even though Moseley was under 70 percent for his career, that wasn't so bad back then, but wasn't great either. Now, 70 percent will get you looking for another team.

Oh, and Brian Mitchell....puullease....if there were ever a "compiler" in sports, Mitchell is it. He holds those records due only to longevity. Was he a good returner - sure. But seriously, he doesn't deserve a weekend pass to the Hall of Fame. Mitchell hurt the team almost as much as he helped it. Most returners either move up onto the starting unit, which Mitchell could never do or hold onto, or they end up getting cut. So Mitchell's biggest claim to fame is he didn't get promoted or get cut for longer than other return guys.

Hail,

H

Mitchell a compiler? Sorry, but I'll have to defend the loudmouth this time.

Punt Returns Kick Returns

Year Age Tm Pos G GS Ret Yds TD Lng Y/R Rt Yds TD Lng Y/Rt APYd

Career 223 16 463 4999 9 84 10.8 607 14014 4 101 23.1 23316

He had alot of all purpose yards. Here are his rushing and receiving stats.

Rushing Receiving

Year Age Tm Pos G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G YScm RRTD

Career 223 16 388 1967 12 85 5.1 8.8 1.7 255 2336 9.2 4 69 1.1 10.5 4303 16 46

He did more than return kicks and punts. He play RB, he played coverage on ST. He even played QB in a Philly game. Is he HOF? I don't think so. A compiler? No. If that is the case, then Jerry Rice is a compiler because he wouldn't give up when he went to Seattle and Denver.

And he is tied with Eric Metcalf for the most combine returns for a TD with 13.

Dexter is a lot of things but is not a Hall of Famer. A few more years and lot less blow' date=' he might have had a chance.

[/quote']

You realize that Dexter's numbers are very similar to Howie Long's numbers right? The only real differences are that Dex played LE which is traditionally the pass rushing position while Howie played RE and that Howie played in the pass heavy AFC West while Dex played in the run heavy NFC East. I think these two things pretty much cancel each other out though.

Dexter really should get some consideration. I think his off field issues are influencing things there a bit which is sad considering all the other thugs who have gotten in.

Could you imagine if a kicker won the MVP during todays NFL?? That really is remarkable that Moseley actually won the MVP. Think about that. :notworthy :notworthy

Yes it is cool. But one season doesn't get you into the Hall. However, I do think he should be a candidate at the least based on his career.

Grimm's day will come, not sure about Jacoby, even though they should (homer) together like Swann and Stallworth. Moseley faded at the end of his career, so it'll be hard. Plus, he's been out of it for quite some time, people might start forgetting about him. Besides the MVP and the old consecutive FG record, remember, he also scored 161 points back in 83, a then-record.

Dexter didn't have the longevity, the off the field stuff isn't even an issue. Clark as well...3-4 more years posting similar numbers during his peak, and he would be right on the HOF line, especially for being a small guy. Madden alone would've been his biggest cheerleader- he had an All-Madden Man Crush on GC.

Simms is not in the HOF. The number one snub has to be Chris Hanburger. There is no way that a guy who was in 9 pro bowls and in how many NFC championships doesn't get in the HOF? Pretty weak if you ask me. I would really like to see Dave Butz in the HOF as well. The guy was really great in the middle. Between him and Daryl Grant they were awesome in the middle. Butz and Hamburger should be in.

Well Thesiman's career wasn't really cut short. I believe he was like 35 when his leg got broken, so he was near the end of his career anyway. I think if we had one the Super Bowl against the Raiders, he'd be in the HOF.

I suck, had a total brain fart. No excuse but I always forget he had a career before I became a fan in the early 80's (as a young kid). So to me it always seems it was a short career, as I watched him for only about 4 years.

Archived