Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car advice please

Slateman

Ok, little background first.

I'm a Marine stationed in Hawaii. Go me. I don't have a car because I didn't think the Marine Corps would ship mine all the way out here, so I gave it to my parents. Mistake. Now, I need some wheels. But cars are pretty damn pricey here.

They have a used car lot on base. Two cars have peaked my interest.

The first is a crappy 97 Corrolla. I mean, I know what I'm getting here. Its a beater. But it does have under a 100k miles and the owner claims it runs great. Wants 3,500 for it. Auto tran.

There's the usual collection of Eclipses and such that are pretty overpriced.

But then I saw a 2000 BMW 528i. It has 92k miles. It has a brand new sound system in it. Its clean inside and out. No obvious body damage. Manual transmission. Says it runs great. He wants $10,500. He says he "Must sell!!! Leaving the island soon!!"

Now, either way, I gotta get a loan. I currently make about 1600 a month. Of that, I put 500-600 in a savings account, so, essentially, I make 1000 a month. I got about 2 grand in my savings account as money down.

Honestly, can I afford the BMW? More importantly, is that a good deal? Is that worth the squeeze on my bank book? Or am I just better off getting a 2 grand loan for the crappy Corolla?

Normally I'd go with the bimmer, but that's because I own one and it'll be a biased opinion.

How long will you be stationed there? What will you do with the car when its time to move? How are gas prices there?

I think it makes fiscal sense to go with the Corolla on this one. You may be happier with more money in your pocket.

Also, BMWs are expensive to repair and perform routine maintenance on. It's a 2000 so there's no factory warranty or service plan left. That alone may wipe you out. Keep that in mind.

Go with the Corolla. Maintenance/parts are next to nothing.

I would get the beater Corolla also. Being a former Marine, getting them to ship it for ya will be a huge hassle. Plus why be straped for cash in a place like that. Save your money for when you get out. Then when you leave you can just sell the car for whatever. :2cents: Good luck on what ever car you pick.

If you REALLY want the BMW, you can talk it down to around 8K. If he "MUST" sell, offer $7,500 and if he is hesitant sweat him out. He'll either sell it to someone for $10,500 or to you at a lower price.

I suggest the Corrolla because those things are indestructable and at that price You won't have the larger payments. Mo money for Mo fun.

Amen! I just bought a Corolla last fall for my daughter - '99 with 114,000 for $4500. Damn thing is perfect in every way!

Dude, have you seen the price of gas lately? Get the Corolla.

Mark i got my corolla for 27500 miles 2002 model for $6500. Only thing it was in a minor fender bender

Unless something's radically changed, getting your car shipped isn't that big a deal. Couple of phone calls, drive it to the port - hardly a major ordeal (other than that it can take a month or so to see it again). I wouldn't let that factor into the decision. Get the best value for your money and something you won't mind driving.

Normally I would say the Corrola,but since it will be three yrs and you are in the military it might be worth it to you to spend the extra for the BMW as a perk.

Are you married?

If the payments are not a problem,only you can say whether the extra comfort and status is worth it....keeping in mind it will suck up more of your cash,even if you haggle(as suggested)

Unless something's radically changed, getting your car shipped isn't that big a deal. Couple of phone calls, drive it to the port - hardly a major ordeal (other than that it can take a month or so to see it again). I wouldn't let that factor into the decision. Get the best value for your money and something you won't mind driving.

Yes but you would have the government involved in the shipping of your car. :D

Alright here are the business NADA values for the californai region(HI vehicles are considered cali region) Corolla Retail is 3700, Trade is 2500. BMW is retail 11450 and trade 9200. Those values are based on clean vehicles, no mjaor dents or interior blemishes, torn seats etc. Now I will say this if you loan ten grand over 3 years with marhinal credit your payment are gonna be upwards of 400-450 a month. Do you want to swallow that type of payment? Also as far as resale value goes the BMW will hold its value better than the corolla but a manual transmission is a dead market car. Rare people look for a manual tranny in a BMW. For the Corolla I would offer 2900 plus tax, tag and title. The BMW 8000 plus tax, tag and title. If you want a carfax run on either of em, PM the VIN and I'll run it since I have a subscription for my business and its cheaper for me to run than you, plus I have unlimited pulls for another 2 weeks.

Archived