Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3-Year-Old Has Never Fallen Asleep

China

my theory would be that the brain itself has adapted to the neurological condition -- if the kids still alive its developed an alternative method of processing its environmental information... in fact, i would say if the kid is healthy with the condition i would not bother with an experimental surgery. the surgery strikes me as something thats more for the benefit of the parents than the child in this circumstance. of course, there is no specifics on the medical status of the child -- i'm just basing this off of my knowledge of how the brain is able to develop at a very early stage in life and create flexible "work arounds" for some conditions (such as being born without half of your brain)

Well in more serious cases of chronic insomnia, people are known to go years without sleep. I think for most people, lack of sleep can prove fatal, but the human body is resilient and in many cases becomes adaptive to conditions. For people who suffer from these sleep-deprivation conditions, they can still survive, though who knows how effective their brain is when it comes to daily living activities.

Also, I think in general, people who suffer from sleep deprivation disorders take mini-naps, which can last seconds to mere minutes, and that's all they get. In most cases they probably don't even know they had a lapse.

EDIT: I also wonder what sort of measures they have taken to relieve the pressure on this kid's brain. I guess medications haven't helped this far, so would the next step be drilling a hole in the skull so the brain has room, much like they do in cases of severe head trauma? Maybe that's too risky and unrealistic :whoknows:

Archived