Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Developing 2 WR's

USS Redskins

Hoping this works out but I really question drafting 2 WR's so early. Now, with all the other aspects of dealing with a new coach, system, playbook, the Skins and Campbell have to develop 2 rookie WR's and a new TE to boot!

No question, these guys could be real weapons if they work out and maybe the Skins are spot on but I kind of hoped they would work on the O-line a bit (and D-Line) to shore up protection for Campbell.

June cuts are coming and you can never rule out a trade, I guess.

Hoping this works out but I really question drafting 2 WR's so early. Now, with all the other aspects of dealing with a new coach, system, playbook, the Skins and Campbell have to develop 2 rookie WR's and a new TE to boot!

No question, these guys could be real weapons if they work out and maybe the Skins are spot on but I kind of hoped they would work on the O-line a bit (and D-Line) to shore up protection for Campbell.

June cuts are coming and you can never rule out a trade, I guess.

I dont see it being a huge problem. I don't see a trade. I think we wanted both of them and plan on keeping them. I hope that they both grow in mini camp and see a far amount of the field this year. I for one am very excited.

This is kind of how the draft has to work though, unless you're drafting in the top 10 you're not usually going to get a guy who's going to contribute in a phenomenal way in his rookie season.

To me, this draft isn't just for this year, but is looking forward to the '09 season as well, and giving Zorn the ability to install his offense with the best tools available. When our O-line is healthy it's probably top 10, at worst top 15 in the league. Now we have to guaranteed to be serviceable backups in Fabini and Heyer. With Reinhart we have another guy for Buges to groom who can takeover for Kendall, Rabach, or Jansen.

The cool thing about drafting these pass-catchers so high up is that the developing/grooming process is a lot less than if we had gone for some 4th round or lower receivers. They were considered top 3 coming out of the college, and we got 'em both in the second round!

I'm not sure what we'll see in D-line, but I think Blache has a lot more confidence in Wilson that some, and granted, if he can put on 15-20 lbs in the weight room and refines his technique he can be an every down end. (Not saying that will be easy.)

The only things I'm really concerned about are injuries at corner or linebacker. I feel like our Oline has great depth, but what happens if Washington goes down again and McIntosh isn't healthy (much less 100%) until November? Can Blades really start? I like the kid a lot, but I feel like our depth is paper-thin at LB.

We have a similar problem at Corner. Both Smoot and Springs have a history of missing time, and it's unknown when Carlos Rogers will be back. How good can Tryon be in his rookie season? Will Torrence be any better? I would've been happy taking a corner (like Flowers) with our first pick, so not only would we have a guaranteed Nickel until Rogers gets back, but also a future starter once Springs is gone.

These are the things that have been swirling in my head the last two days.

Don't forget our 3rd round pick, Chad Rinehart, I like this guy and he could really help upgrade our Oline. As for the 2 WR, I think it cant' hurt our team. Just imagine how hard it will be to cover everybody for the Defense. We have size, speed,....gonna be exciting.

It looks like Lorenzo Alexander will focus more on offense, but swing to D if he's needed at times. If Heyer is any better than he was last year he'll confirm the suspicions about being a future starting tackle for us.

3rd round pick Rienhart looks like an absolute stud.

We've also signed this guy:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/og/kerrybrown.html

Check out that video at the bottom. OL depth is looking pretty good right now.

Anyways, back to the title of the thread, I don't think developing two WRs will be much of a problem. For one, we had the space on the roster. We lost three WRs. We signed Mathis, but he offers almost nothing in the way of receiving. Second, they will take pressure off of one another.

If we had only Thomas or Kelly they would be expected to put up 600 some yards and 5 TDs or so. It's reasonable to expect them to at least COMBINE for those stats. If they do that we're still getting more production than we have in the last few years from the 3rd WR spot and it's not at the risk of demanding production out of players that might not be ready to be counted on for reliable production.

Again, with this new WCO, who says our line won't be beast?

They've had some injuries but that's because they grinded it out for 60 minutes and had to hold their pass blocks for 3+ seconds.

Now, we will be emphasizing quick hit routes (slants) and spread set running plays. The line will be beast.

As for our defensive line, I kept looking at the available DEs and none of them really stood out as a great fit for us. They were either light and slow or heavy and fast. No good DEs there to be had. Our interior DL is solid right now.

The more I think about it, the better of an idea this is to me. If you are trying to build a contender what order to you draft your players in? WR is a position that takes the longest to develop. So this year we get two studs to develop behind randle el and moss. Hopefully the next couple of years in the draft we'll be in position to draft the lines, which don't take as long develop, so I think the timing makes sense.

The big question for the future of our o-line is who between heyer, alexander, reinhart, and brown/other udfa can be a starter in a couple of years? If all of those guys pan out, we are set. Odds are they don't, but hopefully a couple do and in subsequent drafts we can pick up guys earlier in the draft who can contribute right away.

It's obvious to me that Zorn and his new offensive staff wanted to bring in a lot of rookies and get ahold of them early, coaching them for specific roles in the new offense they are installing. The drawback is they trust Blache has enough to work with on defense for now, so we just drafted a db and a couple safeties who look like they'll only contribute on ST at first.

And we're gambling that if we suffer another rash of O-line injuries, Wade/Heyer/Lorenzo/Rinehart can get the job done.

So we drafted a bunch of skill players, and the only NFL offense they will know is the one that we teach them.

We're putting a premium on versatility.

We can come out with four wide, Moss/El/Thomas/Kelly -- ready to hit slants, curls and posts, with open running lanes for Clinton.

Then a quick substitution and we come with power, bringing in Sellers, Cooley and Davis to replace El, Thomas and Kelly. Then we ram it down their throats. If they bring extra linebackers or move safeties up, we go playaction and hit Moss, Cooley or Davis with the mismatches they create.

I am actually looking forward to the preseason games. I cannot wait to watch these players begin to devolop and make our team stronger. I am usually pumped about the prospects of the free agents we aquire, but I am much more optimistic with these draft choices.

Rinehart and Brown are both very underrated players. The best two lineman in the FCS last year, and both the anchor for their teams lines.

As for the WR's i think being together to develop is an excellent idea. hopefully they will come in and push each other and realize they could make up the next Boldin Fitz duo.

Hoping this works out but I really question drafting 2 WR's so early. Now, with all the other aspects of dealing with a new coach, system, playbook, the Skins and Campbell have to develop 2 rookie WR's and a new TE to boot!]

atleast the entire offense will be learning the new playbook and developing together. its not like the staff has been here for years and Thomas, Kelly and Davis have to play catch-up.

We can come out with four wide, Moss/El/Thomas/Kelly -- ready to hit slants, curls and posts, with open running lanes for Clinton.

Then a quick substitution and we come with power, bringing in Sellers, Cooley and Davis to replace El, Thomas and Kelly. Then we ram it down their throats. If they bring extra linebackers or move safeties up, we go playaction and hit Moss, Cooley or Davis with the mismatches they create.

I love this!

I think it will be great having 2 wr that were drafted in the same round so they can compete with each other, push each other, help each other.

I agree with you 100%. I think that it is better to have 2 developing wrs than 1 . . . they can learn together, and help each other out in every way. Moreover, they will be in the same situation and therefore can relate to each other

Never before have I been so excited and intrigued after a draft we've had. It seems like we picked guys who can all be contributors and for us. We addressed our safety needs by getting two, we addressed our CB needs by adding another physical corner, and we addressed our #3 QB situation by getting Colt Brennan.

Not to mention we've addressed our offensive line depth by getting Rinehart and all those UDFAs. We seem to do well with those UDFAs for some odd reason. :D

Never before have I been so excited and intrigued after a draft we've had. It seems like we picked guys who can all be contributors and for us. We addressed our safety needs by getting two, we addressed our CB needs by adding another physical corner, and we addressed our #3 QB situation by getting Colt Brennan.

Not to mention we've addressed our offensive line depth by getting Rinehart and all those UDFAs. We seem to do well with those UDFAs for some odd reason. :D

Really?!?!?

The 2000 draft didn't put a spring in your step yet this one did?

Archived