Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today draft grades so far

Skins4ever1

How/WHY does Dallas trade out of their spot(which was higher than ours this year...like 25th or something) last year with Cleveland, and pick up a 1st round pick the following year(this year), and then Philly does the same this year, yet, we trade back to the second round, and pick up two extra picks, but have to trade away our highest 3rd round pick....to me, that's just stupid, and doesn't make any sense......can anyone help explain this to me......are we just stupid, or greedy, or what??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

How/WHY does Dallas trade out of their spot(which was higher than ours this year...like 25th or something) last year with Cleveland, and pick up a 1st round pick the following year(this year), and then Philly does the same this year, yet, we trade back to the second round, and pick up two extra picks, but have to trade away our highest 3rd round pick....to me, that's just stupid, and doesn't make any sense......can anyone help explain this to me......are we just stupid, or greedy, or what??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

*sigh*...

As it has been said before on numerous times on numerous threads, grab a calculator, break out the draft value chart, and you'll have answers to all your questions. It's only us fans who assign values to draft picks arbitrarily.

HitnSkins, yeah, we "lost" a 3rd rounder, but GAINED a second round pick. The Skins also gained by selecting THREE players in the second round that have first round TALENT. Hence, the Skins will have a much easier time signing these guys....it was ultimately a good move by Cerrato and Zorn.

By the way, the Philly trade:

They gave up the #19 pick.

#19=875 points

They received the #43 and #109 picks.

#43=470 points

#109=76 points

So the Eagles gave up 875 points, and gained 546 points. Not quite a fair trade, is it? So the Panthers had to throw in next year's 1st round pick as well, to make up the extra 330 points. And since next year's 1st round picks have the value of THIS year's 2nd round pick, the Panthers' 1st rounder next year would have to be at #25 or higher in order for the Eagles to come out either even or ahead. There's a pretty good chance the Panthers' pick WILL be at #25 or higher. How much higher, who knows. I'm sure Denver didn't expect our #1 pick in 2006 to be as low as it ended up being.

3rd - Dre Moore (DT Maryland)

4th - Chris Ellis (DE VT)

6th - Chad Rinehard (OL N Iowa)

7th - Marcus Dixon (DE Hampton)

7th - Kevin O Connell (QB SD St)

7th - Jack Ikegwuonu (CB Wisconsin) - Let him fully recover. Before the injury, he was listed as the #1 CB

With this outcome and rounds 1 and 2, we would have addressed the teams 2 weak points, WR and DL. Maybe thru UFAs we can address OL depth.

I don't see how you can give Philly an A + in this draft. Next year when they have two number ones and pick two quality players give them an A. This year they picked two players at positions this FO has traditionally struggled at picking.

How many pro bowl receivers has this FO successfully drafted?

No, they helped themselves for next year's draft, but did not help out this year's team.

I think its because we have a reputation of being a stupid front office, so people are trying to get over on us too. Philly is probably known as a tougher negotiator and so they were able to get more out of their pick. But comparing what we got to what they got isn't the right thing to do. Compare what we had to what we got.

We were going to take Thomas at 21. Instead we took Thomas at 34 and improved our two other picks. Thats a good move. Hopefully its a sign of things to come.

HitnSkins, yeah, we "lost" a 3rd rounder, but GAINED a second round pick. The Skins also gained by selecting THREE players in the second round that have first round TALENT. Hence, the Skins will have a much easier time signing these guys....it was ultimately a good move by Cerrato and Zorn.

We won't have to worry about them holding out.

By the way, the Philly trade:

They gave up the #19 pick.

#19=875 points

They received the #43 and #109 picks.

#43=470 points

#109=76 points

So the Eagles gave up 875 points, and gained 546 points. Not quite a fair trade, is it? So the Panthers had to throw in next year's 1st round pick as well, to make up the extra 330 points. And since next year's 1st round picks have the value of THIS year's 2nd round pick, the Panthers' 1st rounder next year would have to be at #25 or higher in order for the Eagles to come out either even or ahead. There's a pretty good chance the Panthers' pick WILL be at #25 or higher. How much higher, who knows. I'm sure Denver didn't expect our #1 pick in 2006 to be as low as it ended up being.

The problem with that is that the draft value chart is 20 years old and it was based on the draft market from that period. Second, a first round pick is a first round pick. It's stupid for next year's 1st rounder to be worth this year's second rounder. It's value should be variable, based on how bad you think the trading partner is going to be.

Regardless, I think the Redskins actually were smart in the draft for the first time in a long time. They traded down, got value, and still have options for today to fill out the defense.

I don't see how you can give Philly an A + in this draft. Next year when they have two number ones and pick two quality players give them an A. This year they picked two players at positions this FO has traditionally struggled at picking.

How many pro bowl receivers has this FO successfully drafted?

No, they helped themselves for next year's draft, but did not help out this year's team.

People are forgeting the Giggles also traded a 4th round pick for pretty exciting young RB from Miami. DT Trevor Laws had 112 yes 112 tackles last season for the fighting Irish. The only bright spot on that defense. Jackson at a minimum give the Giggles an electric return man from day one. His speed is sickening. They also kept a probowl cb in Lito Sheperd yesterday which gives them the best set of cbs in football. The Eagles got a lot better yesterday. Maybe they trade one those 1st round picks to Cincy in a couple months for Ocho Stincko.

The problem with that is that the draft value chart is 20 years old and it was based on the draft market from that period. Second, a first round pick is a first round pick. It's stupid for next year's 1st rounder to be worth this year's second rounder. It's value should be variable, based on how bad you think the trading partner is going to be.

Regardless, I think the Redskins actually were smart in the draft for the first time in a long time. They traded down, got value, and still have options for today to fill out the defense.

1) Doesn't matter how "old" the value chart is...if everyone uses the same chart with the same values, then the trades can be analyzed equally by both parties.

2) A 1st round pick is NOT a 1st round pick...that is, unless you feel you have the same chance of drafting Chris Long at #31 as you do at #2.

3) Next year's picks aren't worth much THIS year, are they? And next year's picks are not set in stone yet, so you can't assign a specific value to them. I'm not surprised they hold lesser value in trade talks.

Atlanta, a team in pure re-building mode with a rookie QB, would never trade next year's first rounder to us. Never. We probably tried to get it but they said no, so we took the next best thing.

1) Doesn't matter how "old" the value chart is...if everyone uses the same chart with the same values, then the trades can be analyzed equally by both parties.

2) A 1st round pick is NOT a 1st round pick...that is, unless you feel you have the same chance of drafting Chris Long at #31 as you do at #2.

3) Next year's picks aren't worth much THIS year, are they? And next year's picks are not set in stone yet, so you can't assign a specific value to them. I'm not surprised they hold lesser value in trade talks.

25 of the 32 teams use the draft value chart, so it's not universal.

Next year's first rounder should not be worth this year's second rounder. At worst, it should be worth no less than the #32 pick, unless the Patriots get caught cheating again. Also, if you are dealing with a team that is expected to be bad again next year, the value should go up.

It would've been great to fleece Atlanta the way Philly fleeced Carolina, but that doesn't change the fact that the Skins got a good deal. They moved down 13 spots and still got the guy they wanted.

Archived