Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com : Mock Madness

CRobi21

Here's a cool little write up of what a bunch of football website have us taking at #21. Pretty good to the Calais Campbell, and Limas Sweed fans out there. The draft can't get here soon enough!

:cheers:

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=35187

Mock Madness: Annual Mock Draft Survey

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

April 11, 2008

In two weeks, football fans will know who the Redskins draft at No. 21. Gary-banner2.jpg

Most can't wait that long, though.

So that's why we have mock drafts proliferating all over the web.

Will it be University of Miami defensive end Calais Campbell? What about Indiana wide receiver James Hardy? Maybe Virginia offensive lineman Branden Albert?

The Redskins should be able to obtain a quality starter at No. 21. But the bottom line is that there's so many variables involved that it's hard to pinpoint who will fall to the Redskins.

It's all a guessing game anyway. But it's a fun game.

So who do the mock draft gurus predict the Redskins will take at No. 21? For the fourth year in a row, Redskins.com does the work for you.

We've scoured the Internet for NFL mock drafts. Without further ado...

-- Mike Mayock, NFL Network

No. 21: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami

Redskins.com comment: Look for Campbell to be a popular pick for the Redskins. Mayock, the Mel Kiper of the NFL Network, says the first pick of the Jim Zorn era needs to be a pass-rushing defensive end. "Calais Campbell's best football is ahead of him as he grows into his 6-8 frame," Mayock says.

-- Vic Carucci, NFL.com

No. 21: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

Redskins.com comment: Sweed's another popular pick. Carucci thinks the Redskins need a new spark on offense, and he looks for the team to draft the 6-4, 212-pound Sweed. In Carucci's mock, Sweed would be the third wide receiver taken behind Oklahoma's Malcolm Kelly and Cal's DeSean Jackson.

-- Pat Kirwan, NFL.com

No. 21: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

Redskins.com comment: With Calais Campbell drafted by the Vikings four spots ahead of No. 21, Kirwan thinks the Redskins will settle on Merling, a 6-5, 270-pounder who had seven sacks last year. Kirwan points out that Merling is "coming off a sports hernia, which means he could drop to Washington."

-- Clark Judge, CBS Sportsline

No. 21: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech

Redskins.com comment:Judge writes that the Redskins could use "help along the offensive line, especially with a young quarterback." So why does he think the Redskins will take Flowers? He has the fast-rising Virginia offensive lineman Branden Albert still on the board at No. 21, too.

-- The Sporting News

No. 21: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

Redskins.com comment: At 6-4 and 220 pounds, Kelly fits the mold of a big wide receiver that the Redskins will need in the West Coast offense. He has 19 touchdown grabs for the Sooners the last two seasons. Incidentally, The Sporting News has the Redskins drafting North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer in the second round.

-- Scott Wright, NFL Draft Countdown

Redskins.com comment: This is one of the best NFL Draft sites on the web, in my opinion. Wright points out that Campbell's former defensive line coach John Palermo is now in charge of the Redskins' defensive line. But if the Redskins want to make a splash, Wright thinks a big receiver like Michigan State's Devin Thomas or Texas's Sweed could be the pick.

-- Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times

Redskins.com comment: The well-respected journalist Farmer sees Campbell in the Redskins' future. With Phillip Daniels getting up in age, the team needs an "infusion of youth on the defensive front," Farmer writes.

-- Jarrett Bell, USA Today

Redskins.com comment: More on Campbell: He logged 18.5 sacks in three seasons with the Hurricanes, including 10 in his sophomore campaign. He has been compared in size and style to the Texans' Mario Williams.

-- Pro Football Talk

No. 21: Reggie Smith, DB, Oklahoma

Redskins.com comment: The popular NFL rumor site has a surprise pick in Smith, a 6-1 and 197-pounder who could play cornerback or safety in the pros. He's a physical defender, so he should fit right in on the Redskins' defense.

-- Chris Steuber, Scout.com

No. 21: Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

Redskins.com comment: Thomas could be the next Plaxico Burress, a big wide receiver out of Michigan State. He had 79 catches for 1,260 yards and eight touchdowns last year for the Spartans.

-- KFFL.com

Redskins.com comment: This fantasy football site claims that Redskins fans will "get their wish with a big WR" in Sweed. In the second round, it's Maryland linebacker Erin Henderson to "eventually replace soon-to-be 33-year-old London Fletcher." Hey...What about H.B. Blades?

-- DraftKing.com

Redskins.com comment: Hail Draft King! Another draft site has the Redskins bypassing defensive line help in favor of a tall, rangy wide receiver. Draft King also has a (gulp) 2009 projection: the Redskins pick 15th overall and go with outside linebacker Sean Lee from Penn State.

-- NBCSports.com

Redskins.com comment: Contributor Steve Silverman claims the Redskins have fallen in love with Michigan wide receiver Mario Manningham. Who knew? But Manningham goes to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at No. 20. So the Redskins turn to Sweed: he finished with 124 catches and 20 TDs at Texas, but he had his senior season cut short due to wrist injury.

-- DraftDaddy.com

Redskins.com comment: Draft Daddy is back, and they fall in line with Sweed. In the second round, Draft Daddy likes Texas A&M defensive tackle Red Bryant. Anyone named "Red" is fine with me.

-- ExtremeSkins Fan Mock No. 1

No. 21: Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

Redskins.com comment: Let's check in with the fans. Redskins fan "#21Taylor4Ever" posted a mock that had Merling as the Redskins' top pick. The Frederick, Md., native writes: "I think we all know Daniels is done and Wilson's a project with potential. We need an impact DE opposite Carter and Merling fits that bill." Love the jab at the Patriots, by the way.

-- ExtremeSkins Fan Mock No. 2

No. 21: Branden Albert, OL, Virginia

Redskins.com comment: Redskins fan "Clemenza1112" has a mock that he says is better than ESPN talking heads Mel Kiper and Todd McShay. Albert is a fast-rising offensive lineman who can play either guard or center. "Clemenza1112" says he'll eventually be Pete Kendall's replacement at left guard.

-- NFLDraftDog.com

Redskins.com comment: Woof woof.

-- NFLDraftBlitz.com

Redskins.com comment: Wonder who the Redskins will select in the 2012 NFL Draft. NFLDraftBlitz.com has its 2009-12 mock ready, but you have to pay to read it. Never mind...

-- James Alder, About.com

Redskins.com comment: What about Rounds 2-4? Alder goes the extra mile. Nebraska offensive tackle Carl Nicks is the Redskins' second-round pick, while UTEP safety Quentin Demps and Arkansas cornerback Michael Grant are third-rounders.

-- SportzNutz.com

No. 21: DeSean Jackson, WR California

Redskins.com comment: SportzNutz.com claims to have a computer that has combined their own experts' draft picks along with draft grades from 50 other web sites and other (unnamed) criteria. And the computer picks...Jackson, a smallish wide receiver. Um, someone tell the computer that the Redskins are in need of a big receiver.

draftking.com has a 2009 draft projection? that's really retarded.

closer and closer til draft day. i'm holding off who i think they will take in the 1st, until the 2nd round, iffffffffff ya know what i mean.

but yeah, gonna bbq up some grub, drink some drank and watch the shizzz.

Oddly enough, Campbell is probably the ONLY pick at #21 that I would absolutely hate. He won't start, he'll barely contribute and I doubt he makes any type of impact this season. I would prefer our first round pick either be a starter or major contributor. Campbell simply doesn't fit the bill.

Oddly enough, Campbell is probably the ONLY pick at #21 that I would absolutely hate. He won't start, he'll barely contribute and I doubt he makes any type of impact this season. I would prefer our first round pick either be a starter or major contributor. Campbell simply doesn't fit the bill.

I agree. After watching some vids on him, IDK, he just doesn't seem to have, Umm, IT I guess. He looks like a nice prospect, but there are other players who could have immediate impact.

I know that this has been posted before, but never hurts especially when it's closer to the draft. The hailRedskins.com mock database listing 241 different mocks and showing what predicted selection of the Redskins in each.

http://www.hailredskins.com/MockDraft.htm

Current standings:

15% - DE Calais Campbell

15% - DE Phillip Merling

13% - WR Limas Sweed

10% - WR Malcolm Kelly

8% - WR Devin Thomas

By position:

WR: 43%

DE: 42%

OL: 5%

S: 4%

DT: 3.5%

Are you guys serious? you really don't want a 6'8 290 DE to pair with andre carter? it doesn't matter how raw he is we got his line coach from college so hell know him day one and he can learn from lineman there now and can do nothing but get better. what do you guys think?

I'd be pretty upset if we picked Campbell at 21. The guy may have upside but I think he is a big time project. He really looked poor at the combine. Not just his numbers but during position drills. He looked stiff with very little agility.
I agree. After watching some vids on him, IDK, he just doesn't seem to have, Umm, IT I guess. He looks like a nice prospect, but there are other players who could have immediate impact.

Vinny Cerrato, 4 days ago: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/07/AR2008040702362.html?hpid=sec-sports

"Instead of just adding a couple of guys this time, we need [a draft] where we're adding quantity and quality guys. We need talented guys that can initially play a role and have the potential to become starters. And the biggest thing you need is good people.

"Is that a lot? Yeah. But we feel like we're in good shape. We're not looking for these young guys to come in here and start. And with our team right now, it would be difficult for a young guy to do that."

Expect to displeased. Calais Campbell epitomizes the aforementioned Cerrato statements

Are you guys serious? you really don't want a 6'8 290 DE to pair with andre carter? it doesn't matter how raw he is we got his line coach from college so hell know him day one and he can learn from lineman there now and can do nothing but get better. what do you guys think?

I think he has bust written all over him. He is big. That is nice. But did you see him in position drills at the combine? He looked stiff and awkward, not to mention putting up some pretty bad numbers which he didn't improve on at his pro day. He has potential but IMO he is a major project and you don't generally draft a major project guy in the 1st; you want a guy who, while obviously needing some work and refinement to pick up the NFL game (aka almost any draft pick), will be able to come in and hopefully make an impact pretty quickly.

Vinny Cerrato, 4 days ago: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/07/AR2008040702362.html?hpid=sec-sports

"Instead of just adding a couple of guys this time, we need [a draft] where we're adding quantity and quality guys. We need talented guys that can initially play a role and have the potential to become starters. And the biggest thing you need is good people.

"Is that a lot? Yeah. But we feel like we're in good shape. We're not looking for these young guys to come in here and start. And with our team right now, it would be difficult for a young guy to do that."

Expect to displeased. Calais Campbell epitomizes the aforementioned Cerrato statements

That Vinny quote is one of the silliest things I have ever seen. Who drafts in the 1st round with the assumption that they aren't a starting caliber player? Or any round. You always look for guys who can start whether it is early rounders or late round gems. He is either clueless or just BSing. We don't need starters? We have 2 starting quality WRs on our team. 2. And they have both had injury problems, with our #1 in Moss being the most injury prone. After that we have Thrash and a bunch of camp fodder guys who have been cut from other teams since we let Reche walk. Yeah we are just dandy at that position. Same with OL, DL, CB.

Even if true, there are other DL in this years draft that look more promising than Campbell. Some that are even projected to go in the 2nd and 3rd round.

That Vinny quote is one of the silliest things I have ever seen. Who drafts in the 1st round with the assumption that they aren't a starting caliber player? Or any round. You always look for guys who can start whether it is early rounders or late round gems. He is either clueless or just BSing. We don't need starters? We have 2 starting quality WRs on our team. 2. And they have both had injury problems, with our #1 in Moss being the most injury prone. After that we have Thrash and a bunch of camp fodder guys who have been cut from other teams since we let Reche walk. Yeah we are just dandy at that position. Same with OL, DL, CB.

I think what he's saying is that whoever we draft is not going to start from day one. That is actually quite realistic, because I don't see any rookie that we are going to get at #21 who is instantly going to be better than anyone we already have on the roster.

You mention WR, but the fact is, no matter who we draft, he's not going to be ahead of Moss and ARE in the depth chart and probably will see limited playing time until there is a time when the player has earned the right for more playing time. Hell, it is very possible that guys like Thrash could get more snaps than a rookie just based on experience with the players on the team and in the NFL in general.

They are probably not going to limit themselves to guys who can start from day one, but guys who have the biggest upsides. There are guys who can start from day one, but they may never be better than what they are right now. There are others who may be a bit raw, but they haven't reached the ceiling of their talent. That is what I think Vinny is talking about.

Jason

I think Campbell, Albert and Sweed will be gone at 21. Merling and Phillips might be available. That being the case, Skins should trade their No. 1 for an establshed player (Starter).

I'd love to see the Falcons give us their 2 2nd's and maybe a lower pick for our #21. They could take Dorsey with the 3rd overall and get their QB (Flacco) with our pick. That would be good for both of us.

I think Campbell, Albert and Sweed will be gone at 21. Merling and Phillips might be available. That being the case, Skins should trade their No. 1 for an establshed player (Starter).

Agreed that Albert will probably be gone. Campbell I don't know, but I also don't care because I really don't think they'd go for him. Maybe they would, but I doubt it and I hope not. Sweed might be there, might not. The Bills are in need of a big talented WR but they would know that Sweed would be a reach at 11 so my guess is they'll try to trade down with someone and grab him a bit later; if they can't then they'll address another need. The next suitors for Sweed would probably be the Bucs or the Iggles but either could also go for Devin Thomas or another major area of need. If we don't pick him up I doubt he gets out of the 1st round with the Cowboys needing a younger guy (though if Felix Jones is still on the board they'd probably go with him), as well as the Titans in need of a WR and the 49ers. Unless one of the top studs in another position somehow falls to us I'd hope we would pull the trigger if Sweed is there at 21. :2cents:

Typical Redskins.com. Copying info from other sites.

Why not give us real "insider" info and talk about the various ways NFL teams prepare for the draft. They don't have to give the deepest details. But, what all happens when a guy visits before the draft?

I'd guess it is the same general thing for most teams. They have them do workouts, position drills, work with some guys from the team (who it is depends on the position of the player), interview them to get a feel for their character, work ethic, and how they would fit in with the team.

Typical Redskins.com. Copying info from other sites.

Why not give us real "insider" info and talk about the various ways NFL teams prepare for the draft. They don't have to give the deepest details. But, what all happens when a guy visits before the draft?

Well, draft prospects arrive at the Park, sit in a room and talk with Vinny Cerrato. Then they meet with Jim Zorn and perhaps the position coach. Maybe they'll look at film. If Dan Snyder is around, maybe they will meet with him in his office. Then they tour the facility. Maybe they'll go to lunch. Maybe they chat with one of the Redskins veterans.

That's about it.

Not very exciting. If I put that up on Redskins.com, I'm sure that would draw criticism, too.

It's the offseason. Not much is going on, especially this offseason with the Redskins taking a backseat in free agency.

If you were expecting something more...Well, team officials do not allow the site to report on which draft prospects are visiting Redskins Park. Seriously, why would the team publicize its draft intentions?

Anyway, the Mock compilation was meant to be a fun piece for the weekend. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Archived