Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My lawn tractor bit the dust

Zguy28

So, I just found out my Craftsman 21 hp tractor just bit the dust. It threw a rod in the engine. :(

I'm looking at replacing it with either another Craftsman 24hp tractor or a Cub Cadet ,but was hoping to get some opinions from my friends at ES.

I'd love to have a John Deere or Husqvarna, but they are too expensive.

I use it mostly for just cutting, but also for limited yard work like dethatching, hauling wood, or assisting in clearing light brush.

Any recommendations before I have to make a big purchase?

I want to make sure I do my homework.

I'm curious about how much you want to spend?

Big Box (Lowes/Depot) has ruined tractors. Suppliers have been forced to construct their equipment out of cheaper and cheaper materials, so that Lowes/Depot can advertise $999.99 for Fathers Day :rolleyes:

Of course, they completely destroy the brand in the process, but what does Lowes/Depot care? They'll just move on to the next brand. I heard an executive refer to Big Box retail as a swarm of Locusts. They destroy everything in their path and move on to the next thing. :)

I would look very closely at IC (Independent Channel) brands such as Simplicity, Husqvarna (although they are now at big box too), Snapper, etc.

You're likely to spend a bit more, but you'll get a lot more mower for the price.

Engines:

Briggs - Good, but noisy.

Kohler Courage - Better

Kohler Command/Kawasaki - Best (but expensive

I would also find out how easy it is to get the deck off (too change blades, etc.)... and I would also check to see if the deck is greasable

I could go on but I'll shut up :D

Also, get a hydro transmission. Worth the extra money... probably $300 or so, ceterus peribus

Here's a nice line

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/lawn_tractors/regent/

(another cool thing about this mower, which you won't see on anything at Home Cheapo or Lowes... is it has a roller. Which means it will 'stripe' your lawn as you cut it... you can make it look like the outfield at Camden Yards :D )

I have a Deere I bought from a Deere store, 18 hp briggs engine with the auto go, just push and go. Runs great after 5 years, I have them service it every year for 80 buck(plus 50 to pick it up and I live 35 miles fromt he store), they change the oil, filters, level the deck and check the blades(I replace them every year anyway). I love it but I would buy from a dealer.

Also, get a hydro transmission. Worth the extra money... probably $300 or so, ceterus peribus

Here's a nice line

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/lawn_tractors/regent/

(another cool thing about this mower, which you won't see on anything at Home Cheapo or Lowes... is it has a roller. Which means it will 'stripe' your lawn as you cut it... you can make it look like the outfield at Camden Yards :D )

I agree 100% with everything Hank Hill just said.:D

I would also look into a used professional mower. I don't know how much grass you have to cut, put there is no beating a 48" walk behind for the home owner. They will last forever and cut faster and better than any new mower around.

I agree 100% with everything Hank Hill just said.:D

I would also look into a used professional mower. I don't know how much grass you have to cut, put there is no beating a 48" walk behind for the home owner. They will last forever and cut faster and better than any new mower around.

Excellent Idea KB, I agree 100%

oh, and :finger:

Used professional would be the way to go. Unfortunately, spring is usually the worst time to buy used equipment. Christmas time is the best... when guys who just bought all new equipment last spring decide they need some quick cash for the Holidays :)

Damn, we have some expert lawn mower guys here.

If it was me, I'd buy a used commercial 48 inch walk behind. Get a velke or sulke for the back. You're good to go, and it'll last almost forever for a homeowner.

One thing, don't get one too beat. The blade deck tends to warp if it has too many hours on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCAG-48-WALK-BEHIND-MOWER-WITH-RIDING-SULKY_W0QQitemZ260226320623QQihZ016QQcategoryZ71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3a1e_1.JPG

I have a Deere I bought from a Deere store, 18 hp briggs engine with the auto go, just push and go. Runs great after 5 years, I have them service it every year for 80 buck(plus 50 to pick it up and I live 35 miles fromt he store), they change the oil, filters, level the deck and check the blades(I replace them every year anyway). I love it but I would buy from a dealer.

Yea same here, got the 52inch deck/blades, LT180, the ones they sell at Home Depot are cheaper models, and not as good as ones directly from a JD dealer (overall) my :2cents:

I have a Snapper rider that I bought 4 years ago for $200. It was made in 1983. I go through about a pint of oil every time I mow my yard, and it has ejected it's spark plug across the yard before, but it starts every time ;) I'd be willing to sell it for the right price, but the duct-taped cupholder is not included.

I have a Snapper rider that I bought 4 years ago for $200. It was made in 1983. I go through about a pint of oil every time I mow my yard, and it has ejected it's spark plug across the yard before, but it starts every time ;) I'd be willing to sell it for the right price, but the duct-taped cupholder is not included.

My parents brought a lwn mower in Va Beach in the 70's and that sucker lasted till i went in the navy in 92.

Archived