Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone here ever lived in New York City?

LeesburgSkinFan

I'm interviewing for a position up there. I love visiting NYC and I think it would be an exciting (albeit expensive) place to live. Any advice from those who have spent a lot of time there? I'm a single guy so I'd definitely be interested in living in Manhattan if everything works out.

Guest sith lord
I'm interviewing for a position up there. I love visiting NYC and I think it would be an exciting (albeit expensive) place to live. Any advice from those who have spent a lot of time there? I'm a single guy so I'd definitely be interested in living in Manhattan if everything works out.

Never lived there but I heard it's very expensive.

It's great. Spend as much time as possible looking for an apartment. Consider your budget ahead of time and scour craigslist to get a good idea of rent prices by neighborhood.

It's obviously less expensive to live in Manhattan if you're willing to live WAY uptown. I once lived in Washington Heights (160th St) to achieve this goal. :)

A broker can make your life easier, but also much more expensive. You're going to have to pay first and last month no matter what and a broker generally costs around an additional extra month of rent.

What sort of information are you looking for?

I lived in Manhattan for a year. It's great but I'd also look in Brooklyn if I was you. See what i did there?

You can find a decently priced apartment in Manhattan, It's just going to be tiny. To give you an idea, in order to sit on the pot in my apartment, you had to have one leg in the tub. And the Kitchen was hardly big enough to do much cooking, so I ordered out all the time.

What sort of information are you looking for?

Mainly information on where to look for a place...I heard anything north of like 95th Street could be shady. My job would be in Federal Plaza, so maybe something in relative proxmity to there. I hear Hoboken, NJ is worth a look, but I had my heart set on living in Manhattan. Oh...and of course where the Redskins bars are!

Mainly information on where to look for a place...I heard anything north of like 95th Street could be shady. My job would be in Federal Plaza, so maybe something in relative proxmity to there. I hear Hoboken, NJ is worth a look, but I had my heart set on living in Manhattan. Oh...and of course where the Redskins bars are!

As to anything north of 95th Street being too shady that is really all about how comfortable you are with poor minorities. Crime in NY was extremely low when I left the city and the majority of it took place in the Bronx so no place is all that shady in actuality.

A lot of people do live in Hoboken or Jersey City now and it's definitely cheaper.

Working at Federal Plaza and wanting to live close to work in Manhattan is not going to give you massive options. You could go with Hoboken or anywhere in Brooklyn that is off the subway lines that go to that area. I think that might be the 2 & 3, but I really don't know for sure anymore.

There are members of ES who give updates on what Redskins bar people are headed to.

My sister lived up there..and was living in Hoboken. Right across the river, nice area. Took the ferry to work each day.

living in manhattan is good for the mary kate and ashleys of the world. us sensible folks live in brooklyn where the streets are lined with real-live trees. my wife and i live in a big(by nyc standards)apartment in a brownstone. we have a backyard and it's less than a 5 min walk to the subway. you can get to manhattan in 15 mins via the train from our place. park slope, clinton hill, and fort greene are all nice, reasonably-priced neighborhoods in brooklyn with a lot of bars,ladies, galleries, etc. astoria, queens is also pretty hip.

also, definitely make a few trips before you move so you can look at apartments in all five burroughs. if you try to find a place in one weekend,you'll get stuck with some over-priced poo-hole.

avoid the bronx like the plague!

living in manhattan is good for the mary kate and ashleys of the world. us sensible folks live in brooklyn where the streets are lined with real-live trees. my wife and i live in a big(by nyc standards)apartment in a brownstone. we have a backyard and it's less than a 5 min walk to the subway. you can get to manhattan in 15 mins via the train from our place. park slope, clinton hill, and fort greene are all nice, reasonably-priced neighborhoods in brooklyn with a lot of bars,ladies, galleries, etc. astoria, queens is also pretty hip.

also, definitely make a few trips before you move so you can look at apartments in all five burroughs. if you try to find a place in one weekend,you'll get stuck with some over-priced poo-hole.

avoid the bronx like the plague!

I don't disagree with any of this per se, but reasonably priced can mean different things to different people.

I lived in Park Slope in '03 and I'm not sure I really found it reasonably priced back then.

I don't disagree with any of this per se, but reasonably priced can mean different things to different people.

I lived in Park Slope in '03 and I'm not sure I really found it reasonably priced back then.

good point. i meant reasonably priced compared to manhattan. for me, reasonably priced= a nice place, in a nice neighborhood for under/around $2k per mo.

good point. i meant reasonably priced compared to manhattan. for me, reasonably priced= a nice place, in a nice neighborhood for under/around $2k.

I'm assuming you have a 1 bedroom. And since you're married I'm assuming a two person income to pay for a one bedroom that is under $2k.

For a single person that can be steep depending on the income and how much under $2k is it.

Which brings up a great point the OP did not address. How much is he willing to pay?

I live in the city... if you are working by Federal Plaza, you're probably better off living in Brooklyn rather than uptown Manhattan. There are two main Redskins bars, one of which is filled with yuppie wankers (Dorians) , and one of which is filled to the brim with legit hardcore Redskins fans (Red Sky).

I live in Manhattan, but if you aren't making a mint, don't hesitate to look to Brooklyn or even Jersey (people will hassle you in a lighthearted way, but big deal). When you go out at night it'll take you just as long to get wherever you are going from uptown Manhattan as Jersey or Brooklyn as long as you're right across the river.

As someone else mentioned, stay the hell out of the Bronx.

I lived in Murray Hill for 2 years (38th & 2nd) from 06-07. I had a 1 BR which was expensive but the area was great: MH is a nice, quiet neighborhood. If you're cool with living in a studio, Manhattan can be pretty affordable. Most young people find that they are either at work or out doing stuff and only need an apartment to sleep... so space is less of an issue. A broker found my place so if you would like to go that route - PM me and I'll give you his info. Good luck.

I live in Prospect Heights and jwpanic's advice is right on with respect to Brooklyn.

We love it.

Manhattan is very expensive--but so is a lot of Brooklyn.

Depending on what you're earning at your new job, it may be worth it to live in Manhattan, but be prepared for $3K/mo for a 1BR.

Without knowing you, it's hard to recommend a neighborhood that you'd like, too.

Do you want a quasi-fraternity, college-y, preppy scene? Check out the UES or Murray Hill.

You want a rich hipster scene, check out the LES.

You want to live in a largely gay neighborhood, check out Chelsea.

You want to live in a hip, great restraunt, small apartment part of town, check the East Village.

You want to live in a larger apartment, further away from city life and the subway, check Battery Park City.

I grew up in Queens and there are several nice areas there. May nit be as close to the city as Brooklyn, but, we also had tree lined streets and backyards. I grew up in Jamaica, Queens and from what I've read and seen, it is undergoing a makeover. Queens Village/Bayside are also decent areas. I went to H.S. in Brooklyn and it took me about 1 1/2 hours each way, taking a bus and 2 trains. Manhattan would have been about a 45-60 minute commute, depending on where you live and work. As others have said, there are many good areas, but, depends on what you are looking to spend.

Archived