Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To any ESers who have taken the GRE

NDSkinsguy

What is the best study method? I've already taken the test once and went in basically cold; it turned out alright, but I'd like to improve my score, and I'd even be willing to make a significant investment (such as a course) if it'd pay off in the long run. Any thoughts?

Best method? Aside from the math, it's really just a measure of what you know. If you have a lot of time between now and your re-test, I'd suggest regularly reading decent publications such as The Economist or Foreign Policy with a dictionary on hand. Pay close attention to sentence structure. If you don't have the time, grab a GRE workbook (look around for the best). As for the math, definitely get a guide (they're all the same). I took the GRE a couple years ago and scored in the 90

+ percentiles in all three categories.

Never done GRE, took the GMAT last year but I'm not sure how similar the tests are. I got a study guide (GMAT for dummies) and spent every lunch for three months reading it over and over. Then I got a math tutor to refresh my memory on some concepts I forgot.

I did well, but in retrospect, I'm not sure how much either one helped. I would suggest getting a more intensive study guide than the "for dummies" one, a lot of the questions in that book are softballs, and the actual test is a bit harder.

Good luck

study for the MCAT or LSAT instead! :laugh:

Read reviews online of various prep courses if you have the money to pay for it. All a prep course basically does is discipline you, so if you can stay disciplined and focus while studying, then you should be fine.

I don't know if the same is true of the GRE, but when I took the MCAT what I found really helped me was getting my hands on sample questions that had been asked in previous tests. I believe it was the AMA that had a compilation of previous questions or something, I'm not sure, but I suspect the GRE has a database of similar sample questions somewhere. Point is, it really helped to go through test after test and get used to how questions are asked, finding a pattern in questions, and really getting into that analytical mindset that prepares you for the real test. Good Luck!!!

I did pretty well by buying three test prep books and going through all three over and over including the practice tests. Remember, it's not only about knowing the information but also the peculiarities and strategies for navigating the test itself.

I used the Kaplan prep book and these two...

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=9780886852122

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=9781889057101

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Kaplan has a GRE prep book that worked pretty well for me. Just as helpful was the practice stuff (I think it was CD) they send you when you register for the exam. Basically the key is to keep practicing, since its all info you already know. Its just the SAT w/o a calculator and slightly more advanced vocab, so you just need to learn how to answer the questions effeciently.

Like the SAT, the only thing the GRE tests is how well you answer GRE questions. I don't think grad programs but alot of weight on it these days. If you have good grades, recomendations, research/experience, etc that'll go alot further than you GRE score.

Archived