Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lav Coles signs extension with jets

carter23

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03282008/sports/jets/coles_agrees_to_extension_103942.htm

Laveranues Coles, who entered this offseason with two remaining years on his contract worth $11 million but wanted an extension to ensure he'd finish his career as a Jet, yesterday agreed to that extension. Terms of the deal were not immediately available, but it's believed Coles had either two or three years added to his contract.

I guess bashing the front office for spending $140 mill on players from other teams worked for ol' Laveranues

Alright. I did a little research.

When Coles signed with us in 2003 we gave him a $35 million dollar deal. 13 million was a guaranteed signing bonus. I'm not sure how much more he made. He played here for two years. Probably arounf league minimum since his bonuses were so high. So it looks like we paid him $14 million for two years.

Then the guy wants an extension from the Jets after he is traded back to them in 2005. He gets it. 5 years $25 million. I;m not sure how much of that was guaranteed, but it doesn't matter because the deal made today was to guarantee the rest of his deal so it is safe to assume by 2010 he will have gotten every penny from that deal.

All that means Coles will have made $39 million from 2003-2010.

I can't believe this guy had the balls to ask for money, and I can;t believe the Jets gave it to him.

When Coles signed with us in 2003 we gave him a $35 million dollar deal. 13 million was a guaranteed signing bonus. I'm not sure how much more he made. He played here for two years. Probably arounf league minimum since his bonuses were so high. So it looks like we paid him $14 million for two years.

Then the guy wants an extension from the Jets after he is traded back to them in 2005. He gets it. 5 years $25 million. I;m not sure how much of that was guaranteed, but it doesn't matter because the deal made today was to guarantee the rest of his deal so it is safe to assume by 2010 he will have gotten every penny from that deal.

I can't believe this guy had the balls to ask for money, and I can;t believe the Jets gave it to him.

Great work and exactly what I was thinking.

This guy has bit***d and moaned his way to 3 different contract extensions and I don't even know if he's 30. That's a look of drama and extensions for a 36 year old Jerry Rice let alone a 30 year old Coles...

To be fair he's a nice, tough player - kind of like a mini Hindes Ward. He was team MVP I few years ago. But is he anywhere close to a top 10 receiver? Hells no. Has he been paid with the likes of Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, and Terrell Owens this decade? Hells yeah. Players like this hurt you more than they help you. It just sets a bad precedent to renegotiate this guy twice in 3 years when he's not a lynchpin WR you can't live without. There are too many players on the Jets who are just as talented as Coles who watched this circus and will be next up at the bargaining table. And Don't discount the effect the Kendall mistake (which submarined their season) had on Coles feeling like the time was right to squeeze a few more dimes out of the NYJ.

Sick research.

We know Coles will cry for more $$ next season.

Archived