Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Those Who Whine About Redskins Ticket Prices....

SonnyandSam

.....this story suggests the Skins are in the same neighborhood as many other teams. Interesting points.....SIXTH STRAIGHT YEAR the Giants have increased ticket prices.....the Giants ranked 12th in ticket prices last year.....that means the Skins and 10 other teams are all in the same neighborhood on ticket prices. I presume there is also amusement/state/local taxes on top of these ticket prices....but don't know for sure.

Oh....the Giants and Jets are considering personal seat licenses....that's another article....

Giants Raise Ticket Prices Again

Fresh off their first Super Bowl title in almost two decades, the Giants have raised ticket prices for the sixth straight year.

The team announced yesterday a few increases in prices for next season at an average of $7.01 per ticket. The changes were staggered and based on location:

--Sections 301-308, 314-328 and 334-340 will be $80 per seat, $5 more than last year.

--Sections 309-313, 329-333, 101-107, 115-127 and 135-140 will be $85 a seat, another $5 increase.

--Sections 108, 114, 128 and 134 will be $90 per seat. All of those tickets increased by $10.

--Tickets in sections 109, 113, 129 and 133 will be $95 apiece, up $10 from last season.

--Seats in sections 110, 111, 112, 130, 131 and 132 will cost $100 per seat, an increase of $15.

--Mezzanine seats will be $105. Last year they cost $95.

The Giants, who host the 49ers, Seahawks, Ravens, Bengals and Panthers next season, ranked 12th out of 32 teams in ticket prices last year.

.....this story suggests the Skins are in the same neighborhood as many other teams. Interesting points.....SIXTH STRAIGHT YEAR the Giants have increased ticket prices.....the Giants ranked 12th in ticket prices last year.....that means the Skins and 10 other teams are all in the same neighborhood on ticket prices. I presume there is also amusement/state/local taxes on top of these ticket prices....but don't know for sure.

Oh....the Giants and Jets are considering personal seat licenses....that's another article....

Giants Raise Ticket Prices Again

>> Last time I checked, the Giants won the SuperBowl and 12th highest prices means there were 11 that were higher. I can count on Danny to jack up the prices whenever we make the playoffs....God help us if we ever win a SuperBowl.

JKC did not charge a PSL and proudly stated so on the inside cover of the brochure for the new stadium:

..."Most important, I am happy to say that the Redskins will not be charging personal seats licensing fees (PSL's) for the Redskins new stadium. Not now, not as long as I am in charge."

If Danny ever builds a new stadium, I expect to see a PSL. BTW, I consider the $50 per seat "ticket processing fee" for new accounts and the "ticket transfer fee" to transfer seat ownership between family members to be a PSL in disguise. These charges did not exist until Danny took over. A fee is a fee.

If Danny ever builds a new stadium, I expect to see a PSL. BTW, I consider the $50 per seat "ticket processing fee" for new accounts and the "ticket transfer fee" to transfer seat ownership between family members to be a PSL in disguise. These charges did not exist until Danny took over. A fee is a fee.

Excellent points, especially the wack "ticket processing fee". And I wonder how many, heck, I don't even know the word for it, but "standard price" seats there are in the new stadiums these days. That is, the Skins have all these danged Touchdown Club and Dream Seats, at times taking away lower level seats from the standard season ticket club, much less the sparsely used yellow regular club seats.

I read a while back that the standard seats in the new Dallas stadium are all along the end zones up through the nosebleeds, and that the rest are high-priced, "value-added' scams.

Makes SundayTicket look a lot better every time I read stuff like that.

In any event, spending too much time comparing standard seat prices might be a waste. That's not what Danny the Kid is sweating.

>> Last time I checked, the Giants won the SuperBowl and 12th highest prices means there were 11 that were higher. I can count on Danny to jack up the prices whenever we make the playoffs....God help us if we ever win a SuperBowl.

JKC did not charge a PSL and proudly stated so on the inside cover of the brochure for the new stadium:

..."Most important, I am happy to say that the Redskins will not be charging personal seats licensing fees (PSL's) for the Redskins new stadium. Not now, not as long as I am in charge."

You don't read carefully do you?

1. The Giants have increased ticket prices 6 straight years, including many years they did not make the playoffs.

2. As somone else pointed out, we made the playoffs and Danny did not raise ticket prices.

3. FedEx seat prices are comparable to what the Giants are charging yet there are 11 teams in front of them. (I assume the Skins are one of the 11.) But the point is the ticket prices Danny is charging is comparable to 10-12 other teams, most of which are in large cities.

4. You have no proof that Danny would charge a seat license should a new stadium happen. Yes, JKC took the correct position on that. In fact, Danny's difficulties selling club seats and other premium seats suggests that PSLs may not be a very successful idea in the DC area.

5. Many teams require ALL ticket waiting list holders to leave a deposit with the team. The Skins only ask for it when you are expected to come off the wait list and receive tickets. I may be wrong, but isn't the fee credited against your first season ticket invoice? I thought others posted that. I don't know for sure....that fee came after I came off the wait list.

6. Would not surprise me to find out the ticket transfer fee is also common, especially among teams whose tickets are in demand.

7. You consider those $50 fees "PSLs in disguise"?? :laugh: Please.....PSLs cost in the thousands of dollars just for the privelige of being able to purchase tickets.

The POINT I was making was that the cost of season tickets for the Redskins is similar to many other NFL teams whose tickets are in demand. Demand drives the ticket prices higher. Danny and the other owners are in a business to make money not subsidize your entertainment. When people stop going to games and stop buying tickets, prices will drop. That's the way the world works. Danny is no worse (nor better) than many other owners trying to make as much profit as they can when they have a popular item to sell.

Having said all the above, I am not happy about how much I have to pay for my season tickets....just resigned to the fact that that is what it costs and that Danny is not ripping me off any more than fans are getting ripped off in many other NFL cities.

2. As somone else pointed out, we made the playoffs and Danny did not raise ticket prices.

Probably made possible by the departure of Gibbs, Williams, and Saunders.....lord knows how much Danny saved in salary costs!

But I agree......I think Snyder does get too much of a bad rap in the ticket pricing area, when the truth is that its a league-wide (and probably pro-sports wide) phemenonon. I think what hurt Danny the last time around is that he raised prices a lot (i.e. the lowers went from $80 to $110) in one fell-swoop, while the Giants have seemed to take more of an incremental approach, which I think people are prone to have more tolerance of. The aspect that bothers me the most is how much teams are charging for parking these days.....yes, I know there are public transportation options, but still. $35 to park my car?

The aspect that bothers me the most is how much teams are charging for parking these days.....yes, I know there are public transportation options, but still. $35 to park my car?
I personally don't have a problem with the parking fee because I'm a hard core tailgater. I'm there waiting in line way before the lots open and I stay and BBQ usually an hour and a half after the final gun. So add all those hours up, plus the clean up, plus the privilege of having the tailgate itself, with no limits on grills or alcohol - all outside in a public area - I figure all that's worth $35 easy.

Now, if you're just gonna park and go in, that's a different story.

Has anyone heard of the term REVENUE SHARING!?!?!

Danny doesnt make money off of the regular seats in the bottom and lower decks. That all goes into the revenue sharing pool. While he does see a good chunk of that, its not what makes him money. Club seats and boxes go directly back into his pocket. They do not go into the revenue sharing pool.

Danny has raised the ticket princes once in like 7 years. We made the playoffs last year and did not get a raise. Hmm if that was how Danny was gonna make more money wouldnt he do what the Giants are doing??

What we also need to realize is the Mr. Snyder is a marketing genius. You know all those commercials we see at the stadium. That goes in his pocket. Yup when we can watch an instant replay because there is a FedEx or Army or some other commercial on thats because hes making money there. Its all about marketing and advertising. I gaurentee we get more ad exposure at a Redskins game then any other team.

In this thread, we are making assumptions based on what the Giants have done just recently and where they are ranked price-wise. I don't think we can conclude anything from the data available in this thread. The Giants were ranked 12th last year - they may be ranked 3rd this year after the increase, with Redskins 2nd, for all we know.

Nevertheless, when you consider the low rate of inflation of the past decade, I think the prices in this stadium are pretty high when you compare them to what they were in 1997. Whether this is on par with the rest of the league in 2008, I don't think we know for sure.

did you do an analysis on concession prices as well?

No. But Team Marketing Report does. See Fan Cost Index and choose your year

In 2007, Skins rank:

1. #6 in general admission ticket prices at $79.13. New England, Chicago, Dallas, Giants and Jets had higher ticket prices. The League Average was $67.11. New England's average ticket price is $90.89. The cheapest?.....Buffalo at $46.46. Skins were just one of 7 teams NOT to raise ticket prices in 2007. Skins will not raise ticket prices in 2008 either.

2. #16 (YES.....16 out of 32) in average beer price at 35 cents per ounce. League average is 34 cents per ounce. Highest beer prices can be found in Tennessee (44 cents), Atlanta (.42), Tampa Bay (.42), Cincinnati (.41) and Cleveland (.41). Cheapest beer is in Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and New Orleans at 25 cents per ounce. (Clubs sell beer in different sizes. Skins sell a 20 ounce beer.)

3. #9 in soda cost at 18 cents per ounce. League average is 17 cents per ounce.

4. Tied at #1 for most expensive hot dog with Seattle and Houston. League average for a hot dog is $3.67.

5. #3 in parking at $35. Chicago and New England charge $40. League average is $19.

6. #4 for cost of a program at $5. Skins tied with 23 other teams.

So the Skins are definitely in the upper tier on the cost of going to a football game. BUT Danny is NOT gouging fans any more than most of the other owners, particularly where owners have teams with a high demand for tickets.

Sure it is cheap to get tickets in Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tennessee, etc. But those teams have trouble selling out their games, and in much smaller stadiums. The only low cost ticket that surprises me is Seattle at $54.74.

The most expensive tickets are in large urban areas with rabid fan bases. No surprise those teams have the highest ticket prices. Highest cost of living plus the greatest demand for tickets......Economics 101.

Economics lesson now over.

(good question by the way....made me go look for some real data....thanks.)

Sure it is cheap to get tickets in Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Tennessee, etc. But those teams have trouble selling out their games, and in much smaller stadiums.

Not to be picky, since i agree with just about everything you said, but Cleveland never has a problem selling out their stadium. They have some of the most die-hard fans you will ever see. :2cents:

Then why are the Cleveland Browns advertising season tickets are available throughout the stadium (except the lower level) on their web site? Looks to me that lots of seats are available in the upper level and the club seats (which cost less than ours).

Maybe it is because their fans have to purchase a Personal Seat License for the privilege of buying season tickets?

The Browns also hold tickets for public sale which also suggests tickets are not in as high demand as Redskins tickets.

If I can call the Browns ticket office on Monday and order season tickets, then IMHO, tickets are not in high demand....just my opinion, though.

Then why are the Cleveland Browns advertising season tickets are available throughout the stadium (except the lower level) on their web site? Looks to me that lots of seats are available in the upper level and the club seats (which cost less than ours).

Maybe it is because their fans have to purchase a Personal Seat License for the privilege of buying season tickets?

The Browns also hold tickets for public sale which also suggests tickets are not in as high demand as Redskins tickets.

If I can call the Browns ticket office on Monday and order season tickets, then IMHO, tickets are not in high demand....just my opinion, though.

Having a waiting list to sell tickets, and having trouble selling out are 2 different things. They have been sold out since they got back into the league and had sold out for decades before that. I never said the tickets were in as high demand as 'Skins Tickets......just that they have no problem selling out

Having a waiting list to sell tickets, and having trouble selling out are 2 different things. They have been sold out since they got back into the league and had sold out for decades before that. I never said the tickets were in as high demand as 'Skins Tickets......just that they have no problem selling out

That's true for every team in the league. They all eventually sell out. Although the Cards and Jacksonville have had their difficulties up until game week lately.

We may have to agree to disagree.....I consider any team that has to "work" to sell out their season tickets as not having high demand. I think Cleveland still falls in the category I mentioned previously....of course, I suspect there are several other teams in that group that I did not mention. Heck...even the cowgirls have had some difficulty selling out their season ticket packages lately and after all.....we all know they are America's Team! :puke:

Every year the redskins not only call my phone but send me emails and paper mail stating they have tickets for me.

During the season i get emails stating they have game tickets ready, although those were returned tickets.

It would seem that even a team as popular as the skins puts in alot of effort to sell their seats during the season and the offseason.

It seems that everyyear one can call up the skins ticket office and nab seats somewhere.

Oh and yes....the Browns do sell PSL's, so I am not sure why they would be saying that they have lower and upper tickets available, unless they are trying to sell returned PSL's.....who knows....

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree, because as someone else stated, the Skins are actively looking to sell tickets during the offseason and season as well.

The ticket prices are a non-issue to me. The concession prices compared to the concession quality is one of my main issues. $8 for Budweiser is sickening. I can't speak for other levels, but the upper level food is generally disgusting. Cold weather game? How about some warm chocolate water?

How much is a 6-pack of Bud in the D.C. area? Of course if you're in Montgomery County it's already expired beer. :)

Archived