Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We've got a problem

GIBBS LIVES

I agree with Walking Deadman in a sense on the premise of why he likes the idea of drafting Albert. He wants a guy that's safe and can fill an immediate need. Am not sure of Sweed does that.

Thank You.

I disagree with Walking Deadman that Albert is the no brainer choice here.

Not really a "no brainer" pick, but more of a "I think he'll be there, other guys that we want won't be and that he'll be pretty good in the NFL ".

The only downside I've heard on Sweed is the injury. But my understanding is this injury WILL NOT be an issue in the future. So if we chose him it looks like we got a talent. The only issue I see is that it may be a few years before we find out if he really is a #1 caliber WR or not (hopefully the fans will give him a season or two before calling him 50/50 #2 or Lloyd jr.). And 1st rounder WRs tend to be boom or bust guys, so yeah I'm more for the safer pick.

I'm biased for O-line guys anyway and I really don't want to see us having Fabini or some other guy play Guard b/c we don't have any guards on the team if Thomas or Kendall get hurt. Add Albert and you got 3 starting caliber guards on the team. So if we got Sweed, DRC, Kelly or so other guy I'd be happy but my favorite is Albert; just like 2007 was Amobi Okoye( but I'm pretty happy with Landry), in 2005 was either Rogers or Rolle and 2004 was Taylor.

Well, I did quite a few searches and I can't see where they are looking at Sweed. Mainly what I find is relative to Pacman.

But more importantly, who cares? Why is it so important that we keep the pukes from getting a first round pick? So we draft Sweed, they get Kelly, or someone else who will likely be the heir apparent to TO.

To draft in order to hurt a team is unwise and impractical. We draft to build our team and suit our own needs, which is what we should be doing.

Thank You. Not really a "no brainer" pick, but more of a "I think he'll be there, other guys that we want won't be and that he'll be pretty good in the NFL ". I'm biased for O-line guys anyway and I really don't want to see us having Fabini or some other guy play Guard b/c we don't have any guards on the team if Thomas or Kendall get hurt. Add Albert and you got 3 starting caliber guards on the team. So if we got Sweed, DRC, Kelly or so other guy I'd be happy but my favorite is Albert; just like 2007 was Amobi Okoye( but I'm pretty happy with Landry), in 2005 was either Rogers or Rolle and 2004 was Taylor.

OK, fair enough, I am cool with the Albert pick. I am big on adding players to both lines, D and O. My only issue with picking Albert has nothing to do with Albert but the quality of pass rushing D lineman by the time we hit the 21st pick in the 2nd round.

There doesn't seem to be much left by then. Whereas for guard Schuening or Rachel will probably be there. But I agree with the whole rationale for your argument. My issue with Albert is I am worried about the 2nd round. Lawrence Jackson is likely gone by then and even if he isn't I read he has an inconsistent motor. Other De's like Langford, Thompson or Ellis have holes and might be a stretch here. Jason Jones seems intriguing.

First, I don't think the Cowboys draft Sweed. The Titans (or more specifically, Vince Young) want him so badly that they might trade up a few picks if that's what it takes. Besides, I don't think that Sweed will be as good as T.O. Sweed flat does not have the speed to burn people, and he isn't anywhere near as much of a nightmare after he has the ball in his hands. Would he be a problem if left uncovered? Most likely. But I don't see him getting open for any deep 70-yard throws running near a 4.5. Also, by the time Sweed actually came into his own, both T.O. and Terry Glenn, who are reaching their mid 30's, would be long gone.

Lets worry about the Redskins and not the rest of the NFC East. I would be surprised if Sweed ends up better than TO - and the Redskins seem to be winning games against Dallas now. Lets wait and see how the draft pans out, and take the guy that makes the most sense for what the Redskins want...not what we, the fans want.

we have a wr named mix, 6"5 230 and our coach speaks highly of him.played at auburn with campbell. we have good wr's here now. would rather them resign caldwell and use our picks on oline , de and cb. guys, we have talented wr's. we just need a stronger oline to give time and open holes.remember we lost the game against seattle because of a weak oline not wr's.and with all due respect. to draft a player to keep them out of someone eleses hands is not a good way to draft.

i think sweed is the real deal. i've been on the sweed bandwagon for months now and i still think he would be the best pick of anyone who might be on the board. in comparison to other receivers he looks like the best and i think WR might be a bigger need than some people think. sweed's the guy, we'd be idiots to pass him up.

Bulldog,

If you look at Moss and ARE, they are not really WCO type of WR. We need WR help. Since we didn't address it in free agency, it is still a need. But not a super priority like the lines may be.

If I were to choose, I'd address the lines but there is something to be said about our WR corps. Moss is dissapointment. To say the least. And he doesn't fit the type of tough WR we need for the WCO.

I just don't think our fellow posters realize how desperate our needs are at WR. We had better go for the one guy, IMO Sweed, in this draft who will be a main stay for many years.

If you do your homework and listen to how confident Sweed is in his talk show interviews mixed in with his workouts, I think you will get on his bandwagon. People, we need help at WR.

Unfortunately, our speed WRs (Moss and REL) don't always match up with the oppositions DBs. This is serious folks.

I just don't our fellow posters realize how desperate our needs are at WR. We had better go for the one guy, IMO, in this draft who will be a main stay for many years.

If you do your homework and listen to how confident Sweed is in his talk show interviews mixed in with his workouts, I take you will get on his bandwagon. People, we need help at WR.

Unfortunately, our speed WRs (Moss and REL) don't always match up with the oppositions DBs. This is serious folks.

So while I understand what you are saying and I agree w/ you, this had to be one of the worst written posts I've read in a long, long time.

I'd rather have Albert and torture the Boys with the running game for the next 10 years.

;)

Exactly, this would be like other NFC East teams saying "should we draft Brandon Albert before the Skins- I'm concerned about him helping their running game and having to deal with Portis killing us for years to come!"

Draft for YOUR team, not to prevent other teams from taking a guy. That's the absolute worst strategy I've heard.

Get a clue, please. Our new coach's specialty is the WCO - that's passing the ball - we need the bodies to make this happen.
Get a clue, please.

Seattle (who runs the WCO that Zorn is branching off of in case you forgot) went to the Super Bowl coming off a year where their star RB was league MVP while setting the single season TD record and had I believe around 1900 rushing yards. Just because it's WCO (complete in bold red font!) doesn't mean it's just "pass, pass, pass."

If you do your homework and listen to how confident Sweed is in his talk show interviews mixed in with his workouts, I think you will get on his bandwagon. People, we need help at WR.

So he's a wide reciever who thinks he's really good. In that case how can we possibly not draft this guy.

We do need a reciever, but not in round 1 if value isn't there.

I don't think we should be drafting based on what other teams may or may not do in this draft. We should see to our needs and make the best deals possible when trading up or down.

Excactly..people are saying that if Dallass dosen't trade up of McF, (which they won't) that they will take Felix Jones..not Sweed..the Igles on the other hand??

Get a clue, please. Our new coach's specialty is the WCO - that's passing the ball - we need the bodies to make this happen.
:dunce:

^^^

Get a clue, please.

Seattle (who runs the WCO that Zorn is branching off of in case you forgot) went to the Super Bowl coming off a year where their star RB was league MVP while setting the single season TD record and had I believe around 1900 rushing yards. Just because it's WCO (complete in bold red font!) doesn't mean it's just "pass, pass, pass."

Ouch! :doh: Exactly what I was going to say.

Common sense and logic says we need to address the lines with our first round pick. Taking Albert out of the University of Virginia or taking the Campbell kid out of Miami would seem two logical ways to go.

But here's the problem:

Arguably, the best WR in the draft (Limas Sweed) of Texas is going to be on the board. Now we do need upgrading at the WR position, but it's clearly not our immediate need. But...the dreaded Cowboys pick right after us and they pretty much clearly have Sweed in their sights.

Do we allow the Cowboys to take Sweed who will be the air apparent to T.O. and let this kid torture us for the next 10 years??

The guy looks to be a nightmare in the red zone and he also looks like he's going to be un jammable on the line of scrimmage also. And he runs a 4.47 too.

I know what we need to do in the draft but can we afford to not take Sweed ourselves?? We desperately need a red zone threat ourselves. And he could totally open things up for Moss and Cooley also. Giving Jason Campbell the security he's going to need in a new offense. Between Cooley and Sweed, Campbell would feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

Weigh all the options guys, all the intangibles....and then tell me what you think.

Could you stand seeing Tony Romo sits to pee and Sweed killing us twice a year, every year for the next 10 years??

First off, your assuming Sweed is gonna be that guy for 10 years, thats your first mistake. Second mistake..is assuming he will kill us twice a year. That isn't gonna happen no matter when they pick or what say.

If it was that simple as far as Sweed being a 10 yr wideout, he'd be the #1 pick.

Get a clue, please.

Sparty, you are not going to break the Sweed lovers crush with common sense.

And as far as Dallas taking Sweed, they are likely to go CB. That's their biggest hole.

Please...Moss is as fragile as Tiny Tim. WCO are tough, take alot of hits and play through injury. Like Donald Driver.

Moss' injuries have little to do with getting hit. Mostly, the problem has been taking care of his legs, which the team is expending a lot of effort to address in the offseason.

Here's my feeling on the subject: if Sweed is really that good (and his workout numbers don't really reflect that), then he won't be there when we pick. My personal feeling is that there will be more talented players at that point at other positions, and the position is deep enough to find guys in the later rounds.

Even if we pick him or another receiver in the first round, he won't start ahead of Moss and ARE. The impact is probably going to be minimal.

Jason

Archived